HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question Wife's 1st night in a hammock, help me out ladies!

So, after much research and constant nagging I finally got my wife to give up a sleeping bag and give using a TQ instead a try. I helped her order a 40° +2 Econ Burrow zip while I was ordering mine last month so she would have one for a camping trip we have this weekend with our youngest daughter's Girl Scout troop. I was thrilled of course since that now gives me the perfect cover to buy even MORE gear for myself lol. Here's where I need some input : she told me today that she wants to also give hammocks a try..... But she's never been in one for longer than about 30 mins so far. So I told her I'd let her use my diy 11' argon 1.6 , Chill Gorilla bugnet, and old man winter tarp so she can close the doors and have privacy for changing when she needs it. I'm also gonna let her use either my synthetic Snugpak UQ or CDT UQ with her new Burrow to make sure cold doesn't ruin anything.So.... Can you give me any tips to help her out that , I , as a man, might miss ? Anything that helped you that is female - specific ? This trip is CRUCIAL to how to rest of our trips will be this summer, if she ends up cold, uncomfortable, bug bitten or anything else that could ruin her 1st time, there goes my excuse to get a new UQ ! Lol. So, please let me know anything, ANYTHING AT ALL that might help me , help her , help me, to get that 40° Econ Pheonix that I've been eyeing to match my new Econ Burrow would be awesome! She's about 5'6" tall , ( don't ask me how much she weighs, I'll just say 125- 130 , I'll never fall.for that loaded question again! ) and is an average - cold sleeper. Does the difference in metabolism , chemical makeup , etc between women and men come into play here at all ? How so? Tips ? Man, if this goes well, I might even be able to convince her that she needs her own rig and maybe even wanting to go to MAHHA this fall with me! So as you can see, not only is her comfort on the line here, so is my gear collection, happiness and possibly even my relationship and /or life lol. What day you female hangers?
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 05-08-2018 at 21:12.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    M, you are so thoughtful.

Whatever insulation you think is good, she will need more. Likely much more.

A fleece blanket with a footbox always makes me feel cozy as a first layer, since Topquilt fabric is not so nice to touch.

A ground mat may also be nice. I never use one, but I often wish I had one.

And a pillow.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    I would add a ridgeline organizer or peak shelf so she has somewhere to put any items she is used to having close by in a tent. I have a WBBB now, but in my gathered end, it was a major annoyance not to have a spot for my hair clip and cellphone. I solved by always having chair under tarp as a night stand that gave me a place to put those items, my bra, and additional insulation in case it got chillier in middle of the night. Most Women get cold easily. At work I am in short sleeves and at least five other women are draped in blankets working at their desks no matter what season.
    Last edited by Starfish Comet; 05-09-2018 at 01:10.

Hammock
    Kitsapcowboy 11
    Tarp
    HG Journey12
    Insulation
    Gemini
    Suspension
    MSHitch->Whoopie
    Practice the setup at home once first so it doesn’t feel fiddly and time consuming to get set up. I’m sure she wants to be part of the activities with her daughter and not be stuck getting her hammock hung. I’d also think about using the tieouts that are midway down the side to get more room underneath for when she wants to change etc. Sorry I forgot what they are called. Reflectix for the tieouts so no tripping in the night. I’m also new to hammocking and have been experimenting in my yard and on a couple overnights this spring. So far I’m loving it except for the fact that my gear is very fiddly at the moment. I’ve hung my blue Home Depot tarp every way you can imagine and enjoyed learning lotsa knots... Saving up for a chameleon, tarp and some bling. I’ll also confirm the other two replies you’ve had as great advice! Have fun!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Agree with Jellyfish that fleece feels nicer than top quilt, so a nice soft fleece blanket to compliment the TQ would be extra cozy. As others have stated, most women need much more downy goodness to keep warm so make sure she is properly outfitted.

Elevate her perspective: set up in porch mode. Nothing beats peaking out of your hammock in the morning as sunshine paints the surroundings. Love those quiet moments.

Hope she enjoys her first official hang.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I love that you are asking questions! ALL of the answers I completely ditto!

The only thing I can add is talk to her about what aspects of tent camping she likes most (any about hammocks that concern her) and then try to make her hammock set up equal to her tent set up.

Here's an example: I wasn't as fearful of animals when I was in a tent. I felt protected from them. With hammocking, I had fears of animals underneath me and feeling them bump into me. So, I prefer to have my bug net / sock hang clear down to the ground so it's less likely I have an animal underneath me (another reason I don't do integrated bug nets).
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Get her some goosefeet gear slippers in down to keep the tootsies warm. I got that for my wife to be comfy outdoors, even though she still likes to use her UL tent. (Big Agnes Tiger Wall 2p) from REI.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    depending on your wife's age, identifying a comfort range could be difficult. My wife is going thru "the change" and her temperature swings throughout the night are bordering on comical (for me). If I were trying to get my wife setup for a hang right now, I'd have no idea what temperature to aim for.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by bcliff View Post
    depending on your wife's age, identifying a comfort range could be difficult. My wife is going thru "the change" and her temperature swings throughout the night are bordering on comical (for me). If I were trying to get my wife setup for a hang right now, I'd have no idea what temperature to aim for.
    It's ok to use the menopause.

Unsure if it's ok to publicly post about your wife's menopause symptoms though.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Thanks for the great tips everyone. I learned long ago that the absolute #1 most important thing to do if I want to achieve and /or maintain ANY level of happiness and is to first and foremost ALWAYS make sure she is happy lol. Because when they say " happy wife= happy life" , they 'ain't kidding lol. But seriously though, I know what makes me comfortable in a hammock but that doesn't mean it's the same for her I imagined. If I have a great nights sleep and she ends up cold, sore and/or miserable bc I didn't take the time to help her figure out how not to, then I'm setting her up to fail and never want to do it again.... Whats the point of her even doing it if I can't give her every opportunity to enjoy it as much as I do so she can be a part of something that's such a huge part of me? Now, maybe after all of this she just doesn't like it, that's fine. But I at least have to try to include her, if I don't then not only am I possibly hurting her and making her feel left out, I'm missing a chance to FINALLY have someone in our house other than me understand why anyone would wanna sleep outside all the time and spend an absolutely ludicrous amount of money on fabric, string and feathers lol. Plus I won't have to hide my gear purchases as much anymore hahahaha
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast