Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks
    I have a blackbird, a blackbird replica I bought off her that someone had made, and a few dream hammocks. I must be one of the lucky ones because when I lay down in any of my hammocks I can sleep for a good 10-11 hours before I need to get up due to nature calling. I just kind of hang my hammock and then fiddle with it a little and when it looks good to my eyes it’s good to sleep in. I actually sleep better in a hammock then I do in a bed. I would have no problem getting rid of my bed and being a full time hammock sleeper I just can’t talk my wife into it.
    We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I hang over my side of the bed. problem solved...

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody361 View Post
    I have a blackbird, a blackbird replica I bought off her that someone had made, and a few dream hammocks. I must be one of the lucky ones because when I lay down in any of my hammocks I can sleep for a good 10-11 hours before I need to get up due to nature calling. I just kind of hang my hammock and then fiddle with it a little and when it looks good to my eyes it’s good to sleep in. I actually sleep better in a hammock then I do in a bed. I would have no problem getting rid of my bed and being a full time hammock sleeper I just can’t talk my wife into it.
    Same here. I fidget around a little bit and am fine for the duration. Maybe wake up a time or 2 for various reasons but then right back to sleep.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Before switching up hammocks, place a light inflatable pillow underneath your knees (Montbell's works great, but others of similar size will be fine). Add one to the idea of raising the foot and I am much more comfy.
    Ditto. I see from another thread you might have it worked out now. But for future reference, if problems pop up again, try a big as* knee pillow. Something as big and cushy as you can use without interfering with TQ fit, but probably most any knee pillow will help.

Even though as far back as 06 I had experienced that magic sleep in the deep woods(usually after long, tiring hikes) in an HHSS and later a Claytor No Net surrounded by a Speer PeaPod, as the years passed by, various problems having to do with leg comfort kept inconsistently cropping up enough to ruin sleep. This finally drove me to bridge hammocks as my only guarantee of comfort. ( also, consistently very easy for me to insulate, still work great for me)

Recently I decided to once again look into knee pillows- even Big A** knee pillows- after reading Leiavoia's recent thread. And though it might - or might not- cause some TQ related problems that will need to be worked out once it turns cold- every one of my gathered end hammocks seems about as super comfy as any other, and just as much leg comfort as any of my bridge hammocks. I have also found these knee pillows to aid side sleep when placed between my knees. So keep this in mind if problems resurrect themselves. Or, to heck with it, go ahead and try it regardless. Highly recommended vs endless experiments with how to perfectly hang given hammock or which hammock to buy which will finally not have those leg problems. Using this approach, it does not seem to matter now which hammock I use. Good luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Ditto. I see from another thread you might have it worked out now. But for future reference, if problems pop up again, try a big as* knee pillow. Something as big and cushy as you can use without interfering with TQ fit, but probably most any knee pillow will help.

Even though as far back as 06 I had experienced that magic sleep in the deep woods(usually after long, tiring hikes) in an HHSS and later a Claytor No Net surrounded by a Speer PeaPod, as the years passed by, various problems having to do with leg comfort kept inconsistently cropping up enough to ruin sleep. This finally drove me to bridge hammocks as my only guarantee of comfort. ( also, consistently very easy for me to insulate, still work great for me)

Recently I decided to once again look into knee pillows- even Big A** knee pillows- after reading Leiavoia's recent thread. And though it might - or might not- cause some TQ related problems that will need to be worked out once it turns cold- every one of my gathered end hammocks seems about as super comfy as any other, and just as much leg comfort as any of my bridge hammocks. I have also found these knee pillows to aid side sleep when placed between my knees. So keep this in mind if problems resurrect themselves. Or, to heck with it, go ahead and try it regardless. Highly recommended vs endless experiments with how to perfectly hang given hammock or which hammock to buy which will finally not have those leg problems. Using this approach, it does not seem to matter now which hammock I use. Good luck!

Thank you. If I'm not using an inflatable pad, I have got to have something under my knees to help me deal with the calf ridge. I've done pretty okay staying on my back in a hammock. I'd live to roll onto my left side but, haven't worked that our yet. Sleeping on the right side is okay though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not sleeping well? Not hiking far enough. My wife just drug put family up to a beautiful lake outside of Baker City OR. Basically 4 miles and about 2800' elevation gain. As I am getting old and soft it kicked my tail. I normally sleep poorly in the tent even on a 4" thick BigAgnes air pad. I toss and turn and never sleep well. I have done a few hammock nights in the past but finally dialed in the ridgeline hang at home. After that hike I decided to give my feet a rest after dinner. Slept for 12 hours!! Never have done that anywhere or anytime. Woke the next day feeling awesome and ready to go instead of back/hip/shoulder achy.

My answer......hike farther!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
    Not sleeping well? Not hiking far enough. My wife just drug put family up to a beautiful lake outside of Baker City OR. Basically 4 miles and about 2800' elevation gain. As I am getting old and soft it kicked my tail. I normally sleep poorly in the tent even on a 4" thick BigAgnes air pad. I toss and turn and never sleep well. I have done a few hammock nights in the past but finally dialed in the ridgeline hang at home. After that hike I decided to give my feet a rest after dinner. Slept for 12 hours!! Never have done that anywhere or anytime. Woke the next day feeling awesome and ready to go instead of back/hip/shoulder achy.

My answer......hike farther!!
    Is 50 miles in 2.5 days with 9500 feet of elevation change, after a few consecutstive nights with little sleep and a few sleeping pills enough? Lol

That was last fall and I was sleeping in a tent mind you....I'm still waiting for some good hammock sleep. I'm getting closer.

I thought for sure I would die at some point but, here I am.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    What Grumpy Squatch said- I found a lot of his points resounding with my own experiences.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBXLC
    Tarp
    SF, Mamajamba, CB
    Insulation
    Wooki; Ridge CK XL
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Some very good advice noted here by everyone on improving the quality of sleep in a hammock. Thank you for helping others overcome the problems they are having. Hammockforums.net is “the place” to go to for expert advice as there are so many experienced hangers willing to help work out any problems we may encounter. I have learned so much from this site.

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I have 4 Warbonnet hammocks, the XLC, 2 Travelers, and the RR. I fall asleep immediately in all of them and only wake when nature calls. I sleep much better in my hammocks than in my bed.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I wasn't able to master it until I set one up inside. Once I did that the availability allowed me to eventually move to it pretty much full time.

For me, it was the difference between riding a borrowed horse and riding one that you have owned, raised, and trained. Even fitful hammock sleepers agree that it's still much better than pounding the ground. Sleeping in one on a fairly regular basis, is now like taking my bed into the woods with me. That's a lot better than just not sleeping where the animals pee.

Even at my best, on the ground, it took me until the third night, before I could manage a decent night's rest. And every night was a different "bed" or pitch in a tent. Now

That"s History
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast