Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok Tarp
    Insulation
    Synmat 7
    A little Tylenol PM at the end of the day can do wonders as well ;-) Couple that with a side-sleeper's dream hammock like an Amok and you'd be visiting the sandman in no time!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    OP here, still working on sleeping in a hammock. It's slowly getting better and more normal to me. I was out this weekend to test my new HG Incubator. I was comfy and warm but, found that I had to use the restroom way more often than usual. What's up with that?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gillam View Post
    OP here, still working on sleeping in a hammock. It's slowly getting better and more normal to me. I was out this weekend to test my new HG Incubator. I was comfy and warm but, found that I had to use the restroom way more often than usual. What's up with that?
    Fluid intake?

Seriously, what might be happening is that as the weather cools we keep drinking water at the rate we did when it was hot but don't sweat out enough of it, so at the end of the day we're a bit over-hydrated. Just one scenario that makes sense... to me anyway.

And people are different. I have a friend who needs a lot of fluid. He's a big guy and sweats a lot. One day this past April when we were doing the Allegheny Front Trail in PA he drank 7 liters of water for the day, while I drank about 1.5 liters (plus about another .5L for dinner). He didn't get out of his hammock even one time to pee, but I was up twice during the night, and I don't have any medical or bladder volume problems.

However, I don't think there's any relationship between sleeping in a hammock and having to pee more often.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Comfort in a hammock takes some practice. A number of variables can make or break your sleep comfort.

As a new hammock camper (18+ months), I found the learning curve to be something that just time in hammock and fiddling with all the adjustments, moving around, finding the best spot in the hammock will take care of. But it takes time, and changes, and a little thinking about what is NOT comfortable.

And just learning about all the different gear options. In the end, your gear closet will grow, and you will become much more comfortable, know your perfect hang adjustments, and just relax and sleep better.

Adjustments being hammock angle, diagonal angle, ridgeline, height above ground, quilt snugness, clothes to wear in hammock, your gear setup outside of hammock, height/angle of tarp, and more.... All these little things add up in the end.

Biology breaks are natural, especially for older campers. Holding it for any length of time is NOT comfortable. You learn to get out of hammock, and back in with minimal fuss, time, effort and get all cozy again.

G

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I had to use the restroom way more often than usual. What's up with that?
    Several threads discuss that here. Not aware of anyone that has a definitive cause, but there are some physiologic changes that heppen with temperature, including what's known as "cold diuresis" which is poorly understood, but generally involves several reactions to a drop in body temperature that scrub fluid from the circulatory system. Although certainly present in actual hypothermia, some believe milder forms may cause more frequent urination just through exposure to cooler than normal temperatures for your body.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Fluid intake?

Seriously, what might be happening is that as the weather cools we keep drinking water at the rate we did when it was hot but don't sweat out enough of it, so at the end of the day we're a bit over-hydrated. Just one scenario that makes sense... to me anyway.

And people are different. I have a friend who needs a lot of fluid. He's a big guy and sweats a lot. One day this past April when we were doing the Allegheny Front Trail in PA he drank 7 liters of water for the day, while I drank about 1.5 liters (plus about another .5L for dinner). He didn't get out of his hammock even one time to pee, but I was up twice during the night, and I don't have any medical or bladder volume problems.

However, I don't think there's any relationship between sleeping in a hammock and having to pee more often.
    Still hot here and when it does get colder, there seems to be no difference in how many times we get up . Although it's not scientific, many years with many hammockers can help in understanding this issue. Liquid intake doesn't seem to be the issue.

This is an issue most, if not just a whole lot, of us have also noticed when we started hanging.

My personal opinion is that the body looks for a happy medium and laying in a hammock seems to relieve most pressure points and allows the body to relax enough for all the cells to work more efficiently enough at removing toxins. Therefore causing more times to pee at night. At home in a bed or couch, it's not very comfortable and I don't pee all night. Free advise and you get your money's worth.

Enjoy the ride.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    When you sleep, your kidneys work to filter out the fluid that gravity has settled into your lower extremities during the day. Usually we hang with our feet elevated, and we may tend to drink more when out in nature. This is the cause of the increased nature visits at night when in the hammock usually. As for ridge line pain, foot pain, and restlessness, I use a long pillow under my knees. I use L-tryptophan tablets for restlessness and foot problems, and if I get those awesome leg cramps when I get out of my hammock I have 2 packs of mustard within reach that I tear open and suck down so I can actually walk. There is always a solution somewhere. We just have to keep looking until we find it.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotlips View Post
    When you sleep, your kidneys work to filter out the fluid that gravity has settled into your lower extremities during the day. Usually we hang with our feet elevated, and we may tend to drink more when out in nature. This is the cause of the increased nature visits at night when in the hammock usually. As for ridge line pain, foot pain, and restlessness, I use a long pillow under my knees. I use L-tryptophan tablets for restlessness and foot problems, and if I get those awesome leg cramps when I get out of my hammock I have 2 packs of mustard within reach that I tear open and suck down so I can actually walk. There is always a solution somewhere. We just have to keep looking until we find it.
    For myself, I've always been told to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate while hiking -- which I do. However, I've come to the conclusion that I drink way too much water if I'm forcing myself to hydrate. I've started just drinking when I get thirsty and I noticed that I get up to pee much less (if at all) during the night.

I also have a theory that frequent peeing is flushing out toxins but also valuable minerals, etc. because I noticed that when I stopped drinking so much water I also had less cramping. Supplementing my food with banana chips as a snack increases my Potassium levels which I believe were being depleted by the frequent peeing. My instances of cramping have dropped to almost zero.

This is working for me and I put it out there as anecdotal evidence.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Bonded Wide Winter
    Insulation
    SheltoweeUQ/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Haven'tSettledYet
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    What is the widest 11' hammock with a single width piece of fabric, I.E. No stitching?
    I'm 6'4" x 320 lbs, a side sleeper, & I switch sides 2-3 times at night due to old back problems. I tried an Amazon 3-panel hammock (similar to ENO), but the seams created pressure points at my neck & calf. Per the recommendation of Randy (aka "Papa Smurf") at Dream Hammock, I ordered a extra-wide (72") Sparrow. Randy was terrific via email & he let me know which fabrics were available in extra-wide.

I LOVE MY SPARROW!

Still, with tree spacing and other factors in the woods being inconsistent by nature, sometimes it takes a few tweaks to get the hang dialed-in. Last weekend with the scouts I was hanging from trees located on a bit of a slope, producing an optical illustion of sorts which made it harder to eyeball keeping the foot end higher. I finally ended up laying in the hammock and closing my eyes in order to "feel" what adjustments were needed, insteaded of trying to do it by sight.

7304a.jpg
    Last edited by fivefreds; 10-03-2018 at 12:03.
    Enjoying my fall into the rabbit hole...

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If this is happening after a long day of heavy exercise then it may be exercise induced hyponatremia. There have been a number of studies that show some people have a tendency to retain water in response heavy exercise (despite heavy sweating they are still taking in more fluids than they are sweating out and often stop urination completely during the activity.) I don't think that anyone fully understands the pathogenesis but it's likely just an evolutionary adaptation to drive you to increase water reserves within the body in response to heavy activity that could otherwise cause dehydration. When you stop the activity and begin to recover your body will release those excess fluids, causing you to urinate excessively the night after the activity. The good news is that you're probably staying well hydrated but in extreme cases hyponatremia is actually a dangerous condition because your electrolytes can become imbalanced and cause organ shut down.
    Last edited by <-Pointer; 10-03-2018 at 14:00.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast