Tarp
    Warbonnet mamajamb
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie X
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Oh Ridgerunner, where do I put my elbows

Hi everyone,

Today I received my Ridgerunner that I purchased from a forum member. Of course, I immediately hung it in my backyard stand and took a few moments to lay in it. The flat lay is really wonderful, and I don't have any of the neck tension I feel in a gathered in when not using a pillow. However, I'm have fairly broad shoulders (I'm 6'0 210), and even with my arms pasted to my sides, my elbow sit on top of the very hard and uncomfortable reinforced fabric.

I'm guessing this has more to do with hang angle than anything else. I started with about a 35 degree angle without weight. Unfortunately, I ran out of time to try different adjustments, so I'll mess with it more tomorrow.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    I haven’t had that problem myself, but I am not broad shouldered. I do however always hang my RR with my traps a lot lower than with my BlackBird. Maybe that has something to do with it.

If I am not mistaken the RR works best with a 20 degree angle vice the usual 30 on a gathered end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Hang angle as j-Fish mentioned would be the priority. I also prefer the head-end to be lower than the foot-end to prevent sliding down.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I tested my buddy's RR and had the same issue. I also had the foot end higher than the head end. I was talking with someone else who has one, and he said the only good way to fix it is to use a pad that's about 2" tall. It'll raise your body high enough so the narrow sides aren't a problem.

I decided not to purchase a RR, because I do not want to have to invest in an insulated pad. I also could not comfortably sleep in the figure 4 position- which is a no-go for me. Laying straight in the hammock was comfortable though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rweb82; 05-08-2018 at 07:30.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I had trouble with the shoulder squeeze and "coffin" pose of the RR, and I'm def on the small end of the scale. Using an inflatable pad will elevate your elbows enough for some relief. Mine was a DL, but I found that any type of vapor barrier would have me drowning by mid night. The thicker the pad, the higher the center of gravity = tippier feel till you get used to it.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I have experienced significant shoulder squeeze with my RR and my shoulders are only about 44" wide.

I sleep on my side so I didn't think this would be a problem but every time I wake up, my shoulders are sore.

I am trying on hanging at different heights and angles but nothing seems to work.

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    I’m also 6’, 210 (ish). I’m a side sleeper so my elbows typically don’t hit the sides, and my shoulders ache every night no matter what I’m sleeping on. However I sometimes wake up on my back and those sides are pretty hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I'm 5'8", 170 lbs, and don't have broad shoulders. I love my RR, fits me fine, but every time I'm in it I wonder how folks with broader shoulders can fit in it. It definitely requires a wider spreader bar.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I have experienced significant shoulder squeeze with my RR and my shoulders are only about 44" wide.

I sleep on my side so I didn't think this would be a problem but every time I wake up, my shoulders are sore.

I am trying on hanging at different heights and angles but nothing seems to work.
    That's why it has the lower weight rating...because larger individuals are more likely to have comfort issues.

There are 2 main things that will have a noticeable impact on how it feels through the shoulders (other than being a smaller individual)

Where are you laying? Because as you scoot down toward the foot end a little it would increase, for the most shoulder room you'd want to lay with the crown of your head very far toward the end...not so much so you can feel the any discomfort from the endcap seam on the back of your head, but almost, so your forehead should be basically "under" the spreader bar. In that spot there's a small divot that your head should be resting in that kinda contours the back of your head and neck (sort of a mild S-shape) and it's the farthest you can lay without feeling discomfort from the rigid seam where the endcap is attached. From that point scooting down toward the foot end a little will feel fine as far as your head/neck goes, but shoulder squeeze increases so try to always position yourself at the extreme head end.

Also, like has been mentioned above, an air pad will give quite a different feel to the hammock, especially in the shoulders and arms. Some people prefer the RR with a pad and some prefer it without, but if you're having any comfort issues you should try it both ways
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 05-08-2018 at 12:00.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet mamajamb
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie X
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A few things I'm going to try this weekend

1. lowering the head end
    2. decreasing the hang angle
    3. I order a 3.5" camping pad. I'll try it semi-inflated to see if that helps
    4. making sure my head is as near the top seam as possible

thanks for all of the advice everyone, i'll be sure to post my results.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast