Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm 6'2" and pushing 225 lbs so I'm not a small person. Still find the Ridgerunner more comfortable than the XLC or Chameleon. The suggestions previously made are good. Angle 20-25 degrees ( so "tighter"), and scoot as close as you can to the head end. I use a Lynx under mine, but a pad will hold the Ridgerunner more open. You'll want a 25 inch or wider pad. 20 inches is not enough. I try and get my foot end a bit higher than my head, but for me there's a good amount of leeway there. The Ridgerunner isn't as finicky as the XLC. It's narrow laying in the Ridgerunner and my arms are close to the suspension webbing, but it doesn't bother me. Oh, and you're probably doing this, but make sure you use the full head-end spreader bar length. If you have an older RR there's a smallish center section to the head end bar. Newer bars the head end is three fairly equal length pieces.
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 05-09-2018 at 22:44.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I love the RR design, but I am 6'2" and right at 250# and would absolutely love to see Warbonnet bring out an "XL" sized RR about 20-25% wider. I would sell all of my other hammocks and buy 2-3 of them. Those parallel webbings that run lengthwise feel like I am laying my arms on steel when I'm in the hammock and they are at full tension.

Three things that I've found to help:

#1) As previously mentioned, an inflatable pad is a huge improvement over the hammock alone - it will lift your arms up (along with the rest of you) and make that webbing more bearable.

#2) I went down to my local hardware store and bought some foam tubing used for insulating 3/4 water pipes. I cut two 2 foot lengths and when I'm in the hammock I wrap one over those straps on each side where my arms will make contact. Helps a bunch.

#3)I've learned to lay in a manner where my body is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way on my side -this puts one arm below the webbing, so the other one has more room.

#4) Since WB won't make an XL version, I use my Draumr whenever I can tolerate the weight and leave the RR at home. If WB did make an XL version, I'd would buy several and use them exclusively. Currently, I make do with a RR when weight is critical, and that Amok is fabulous for when it is not.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    ...You'll want a 25 inch or wider pad. 20 inches is not enough....
    As a relative noob with 10 spring/summer nights in an Eno Doublenest, and 4 winter/spring nights (temp. low of 13f) in an REI Quarter Dome bridge hammock, having only ever used the 20" and 25" wide inflatable pads available to me:

I'm shopping for a 25" wide pad. By far more comfortable than the 20". Nice bed platform. Like the option to go to ground. One of these days I'll try an UQ...

IMG_0890.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I would assume with an XL version of the RR, the wider spreader bar will require a change in suspension geometry especially at the head end of business requiring even greater minimum hang distance between trees. Plus the fact that with the extra weight capacity and safety in mind this simply may not be practical.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    I would assume with an XL version of the RR, the wider spreader bar will require a change in suspension geometry especially at the head end of business requiring even greater minimum hang distance between trees. Plus the fact that with the extra weight capacity and safety in mind this simply may not be practical.
    I would agree that it would require some re-engineering. However, Bill Townsend as proven that a wider bridge is possible. Brandon is a freakin' genius -I'm pretty sure that he's up to the task.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This is one of the issues with the RR. If your wide they tend not to be very comfortable for those with broad shoulders.

Yep, i feel it as well, i have broad shoulders, i just except it as i dont want to carry a pad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Upon further inspection last Thursday night, I don’t feel this very much. Maybe I’m not as wide as you, even though I’m the same basic height and weight. I had plenty of room.
    I noticed maybe a few inches or more between my elbows and the edges. I think Brandon is right, your hangle may be off sending you too far towards your feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet mamajamb
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie X
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    alright, so I did a lot of tinkering and made significant progress in comfort.

First, I reduced the hang angle. The final measurement (using my phone) is about 23 degrees. Next, I have an REI XL Camp Bed 3.5 that I tried out. First I put it directly in the hammock which was much too fiddly. I have a double layer so I put it in the slot, and inflated it about 2/3 full. I never did try the new hang angle without the pad so I'll have to try that. At this point, my head end and foot end are level, and the pad is as far towards the head end as the seam where my head rests. With this configuration, the hammock is VERY comfortable, and my arms can fit snuggly against my sides. I also notice I can change my foot position which makes a difference. With my feet close together I lay almost perfectly flat. if I lay my feet out to the sides, my legs raise about 2 inches. When I rest my arms on my legs, the reinforced fabric is barely noticeable under my arms. I can imagine when I have my top quilt tucked under, I won't notice the seams at all.

Hopefully I can figure out a comfortable position without the pad, otherwise the ridgerunner becomes my car camping hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR / Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE / HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The insertion of a pad between the layers of my RR really helped with the squeeze except if the pad is as wide as the RR. Had to go with a standard Klymit width and not the Luxe, the Luxe just raised the squeeze a bit higher off the center of gravity.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast