Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles

Just how dangerous is Sawyer's permethrin to cats

I've just done some research and have found that permethrin is safe to cats only after it has dried on gear/clothing.

Seeing as I'm picking up my buddy on the way to camp in Maine, I want to be certain that his feline companions will be safe. I'm using Sawyer's permethrin spray on my gear before the week is over.

Can I get your experience with this? Thanks!!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wet permethrin (recently applied) can be fatal. Dry permethrin is okay.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

It is basically processed chrysanthemum with is highly toxic to cats. Once dry it becomes inert and "should" be safe but I would err on the side of caution. Also note don't dump excess liquid into the drain it can kill good microbes in the water. Spray it on an old towel and let it dry.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I have two cats and treat my camping clothes yearly.Cats aren't affected once it is dry.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    That settles it. My buddy's veterinarian wife is totally against it use....

Would Off Deep Woods be a good alternative for ticks?

I would try picaridin insect repellent by Sawyer it works on ticks. It won't work as well as permethrin does but not a bad second choice. Deet works but is harsh on gear and your skin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PBThompson View Post
    It is basically processed chrysanthemum with is highly toxic to cats. Once dry it becomes inert and "should" be safe but I would err on the side of caution. Also note don't dump excess liquid into the drain it can kill good microbes in the water. Spray it on an old towel and let it dry...
    At the risk of being pedantic, Pyrethrum comes from certain Chrysanthemums, Permethrin is a synthetic insecticide based on Pyrethrum.
    Caution is always advisable but there is readily availale research on the toxicity of Permethrin to several species. In its liquid form, it is toxic to cats and a variety of aquatic life but once dried is generally safe. When I need to exhaust a supply, I treat the patio to keep the beasties from biting my knees during dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    That settles it. My buddy's veterinarian wife is totally against it use....

Would Off Deep Woods be a good alternative for ticks?
    I'm not sure why you'd let your buddy's veterinarian wife make decisions about your risk of contracting insect borne illness but that's up to you. If she's opposed, don't wear your treated gear in their home, change when you arrive at the trailhead.

Deep Woods Off is 25% DEET. DEET is available in concentrations up to 100% but few people find concentrations above 33% comfortable on skin. DEET has the side effect of dissolving many types of plastic and ink. Before I learned about Permethrin, I sprayed my clothing with 100% and wore 33% DEET on skin. I destroyed a watch, several pairs of sunglasses and a tent. I'm careful about tick checks and occasionally found ticks even when constantly maintaining the DEET regimen described. I now treat my clothing, pack, and hammock with Permethrin and exposed skin with Picaridin. Not that it's proof of anything but I haven't found a tick since I started using Permethrin.

Good luck, make informed choices, have fun outdoors.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    Good luck, make informed choices, have fun outdoors.
    Thanks for all the info. I think I'll just make sure that all treated gear remain in the vehicle while spending a few nights at their house.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I think I'll just make sure that all treated gear remain in the vehicle while spending a few nights at their house.
    Sounds like a solid plan to me. Have Fun!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I am not a huge fan of DEET, though I do use it. First time I used DEET (33%) was back in 2004, taking my kids on a hike in the deep woods of Massachusetts. The mosquitoes were insatiable, and I just kept spraying myself to keep them at bay. Next thing I know, I had a DEET overdose. The symptoms were similar to what one would call a "panic attack." The world crashed in on me, and I could barely make it out of the woods. My wife kept asking me what was wrong with me, but I couldn't even articulate what was happening.

I tried to go to work on Monday, but the walls of my office were just crashing in on me, so I went home after an hour or so. I went straight to a psychologist, then a psychiatrist, but they didn't have much to offer me other than "panic attack." After several days, I returned to normal and was able to go back to work. DEET is very effective for mosquitoes, so I still use it, but I am wary of overdosing. I never want to go through what happened to me again! I never had a panic attack before then, or since then, but DEET scares me. I use it sparingly, at dusk or dawn only.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast