DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    This looks like a great place for land navigation/orienteering activities. It looks very easy to get lost in the barrens sans compass since there isn't much in the way of visible landmarks/topographical variation.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    This looks like a great place for land navigation/orienteering activities. It looks very easy to get lost in the barrens sans compass since there isn't much in the way of visible landmarks/topographical variation.
    I don't get lost much in the daytime in the Pine Barrens. Night hiking? Different story. While I have used a compass at night, I don't rely much on navigation/orienteering or Google Maps. It's hard to get really lost in the Pine Barrens, but you can get yourself in some precarious situations, like last spring when I ended up swimming across two rivers with my pack on trying to get to Lower Forge.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=lower+forge
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    Yep Mines Sprung is the road we were on. I think that led us to Tuckerton where, sure enough, there were RR tracks!! I had a few doubts along the way, but in the end ol' one good eye SilvrSurfr knew exactly where he was going! I had a fantastic trip!! "You get lost enough times you eventually know where you're going". I'd definitely hike with you again buddy! Good stories and lots of laughs! I gambled and decided to pack my Loco Libre Operator Series 50 degree quilts and it paid off. It was exactly 55 degrees over night and I slept like a rock!! Joey is a great dog! He stopped to investigate something every once in a while, but that's to be expected from a pup on an adventure. He stayed on trail and close to SiverSurfr the whole way. He's a good one for sure! Thanks SilvrSurfr and Pete! It was a great weekend! I'm looking forward to the Blue Berry hang! I know where the good stuff is now!
    Yeah man, you saw more stuff, hiked out a nice way and if you had parked cars at the Memorial, you’d have had a short trek....you know if planned to walk out that way. The road you wanted to go down is another good one, plus a couple of the hills we went by and there was a battle about 100 yds from where we were at one point. We do 2-3 at the Forge and I’ll take you guys to see some of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Sometimes Bing.com/maps is the better option.

https://binged.it/2KItuix
    Yeah, you’ve been right about that several times. This time I think, this one and only time, I’ll post a map that’s 120yrs old and shows exactly what I’m talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    Hrmm. I don't see Hay Rd. on Google maps at all, I'm looking at AllTrails and AllTrails TOPO maps. Is there an online version of the Wharton MAP map?
    Yeah, gonna help you out. An old map you can load on Avenza has it, they you can bounce to a current topo map in the same app...spells it out.

Btw, the Wharton Motorized Access Plan map is still a draft, I’ll post a link, but I dislike it for many reasons, though I do support limiting access. Don’t like road names used in some instances either, sigh.

http://www.njparksandforests.org/par...eb_version.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptastic4wd View Post
    Sound like a good time. I'll have to get down there one weekend you are going out, I'm OK with getting a little lost LOL. Will for sure get the permethrin on my gear, I haven't camped in the barrens, but played airsoft/paintball and the ticks can be insane. Of course I don't anticipate diving into a bush for cover ....
    cause you haven’t camped w/ SS yet, just ask Tate...if anyone ever sees him again lol

Glad you had a good trip, and made it out. Sometimes knowing the right people is better than knowing where you are going!!!
    Word

Gave me a great reason to get out and got a couple miles in....PLUS had some BBQ, so yeah, winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    It’s all about the water and the trees. Plus keeping your eyes open for major man made changes to the terrain, link that to some basic historical knowledge and you are well on your way.

Took my first lan nav course in these woods as a kid, it is excellent for working some technical skills.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images

NJ>Pine Barrens>Lower Forge>5/5/18 Me and Joey

This map is from 1900. Notice the route of the road wrt water and elevation. Also note this runs from QB to the RR via LF.

Now here is much more detail from 1953 showing some of the paths, one time roads, that I wander and change based on water level. This shows LF to the Bridge. (Oops, almost to the RR bridge, have to grab the Indian Mills Quad for the rest but you get the idea)

If you guys load up Avenza, I’ll drop you some pins or just create a map on Avenza.

Sent from my hammock using whatever had a signal.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Superfly20D
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Loops/Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    cause you haven’t camped w/ SS yet, just ask Tate...if anyone ever sees him again lol
    I'm not too easily scared away, but the barrens are spooky as it is to us north jersey folk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Tate (Vagabound) is very busy finally getting his college degree (he went to high school with my daughter, who graduated college three years ago). He's getting a degree in something useless, like an English degree (umm, I have an English degree).

When did Tate and I ever have an issue camping, hiking or canoeing together? Other than the time he tried to survive a 17* F Thanksgiving hang with just an underquilt (he thought the topquilt wasn't necessary), I can't recall anything noteable about camping, hiking or canoeing with Tate.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ...I can't recall anything noteable about camping, hiking or canoeing with ...
    Pretty much the start and finish of it right there. Emoji emoji

It was an oblique reference ‘warning the new guy’ of certain predilections possessed and possible late night hazards. It was good natured campfire ribbing and your recall of the events or lack thereof likely means it was another fine evening filled with tales of rat fishing, bovine hydro inflation techniques and all manner of exotic stories. Any more detail is too derailing and unbefitting for such a fine trip report.

Sent from my hammock using whatever had a signal.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    ... certain predilections possessed and possible late night hazards...
    Has the word "predilections" ever been used in a positive sense? I confess that I enjoy SS's stories and observations. As I'm relatively new, many are fresh to me but there are already some favourites.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Superfly20D
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Loops/Mule Tape
    I'm still down to come hang out, these guys don't scare me SS. LOL if I'm free next trip you post I'll come down. Flat hiking is a nice change compared to the highlands, plus I'm a gear nerd so I love seeing other people's hammock set ups.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptastic4wd View Post
    I'm still down to come hang out, these guys don't scare me SS. LOL if I'm free next trip you post I'll come down. Flat hiking is a nice change compared to the highlands, plus I'm a gear nerd so I love seeing other people's hammock set ups.
    They're talking crap - they go hiking and canoeing with me all the time. Nothing wrong with talking crap!

Look forward to meeting you in the Pine Barrens, as does my beagle Joey.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast