Opinions on the 2-season Wooki for European summer / 40F+?

Hi everyone. I've been hunting around the forum for a while now and see lots of shouts out for the Warbonnet Wooki, but so far nobody that I've seen has reported back on the 2-season version for 40F+ hanging. I'm torn between the 2-season and 3-season versions as I want to go small and light in European summer, with temperatures between 40-60F at night, while on the other hand I'm a cold sleeper and have had issues with CBS before. I'm hoping that the wookie's no-fuss setup and shape will eliminate a lot of the cold spots -- the reports on this forum seem to confirm that. But has anyone used the 2-season at the cusp of its 40F limit?

I'll be using a thermal reflective UQP (the Thermarest Slacker Hammock Warmer, which I find works really well and adds about 5F) to handle 40-45 I'd guess. Also using a Dutchware Chameleon for reference.

Thanks and greetings from sunny England!

I use a 40* Wooki on a few different hammocks, l do live where the weather conditions are mostly moderate to hot over summer, 8 months of the year, this is where the 40* Wooki probably fits in at best.

At present now in Sydney and the later end of autumn the over night temp is getting down to 10*c or 50*f. l sleep out full time and really only of late notice when the weather drops to this temp my feet and my legs are signalling this is about as far as l can take things. This alerted me to shake the quilt more regularly making sure the down is well spread evenly. The temperature range does increase a little to about 55*f over night.

I imagine for me the 40* Wooki will have maxed out towards the autumn.

This being said, just of last week l made an order for a 20* Wooki.

Hope this helps!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Why push the limit when you know you sleep cool or cold? You are an experienced CBS, you have been there done that.

Buy a warmer quilt, you are always able to vent or just put out a foot or leg if things are too warm. I use a Winter Wooki in moderate temperatures because I get cold and it cuts my enjoyment.

Depending on your girth the Wooki is a bit tricky to sleep on. So if you move around in your sleep and get off the wookie, you do not have any insulation.

Really you need a test run to see what your needs are.

I would not tempt being uncomfortable by depending on a quilt makers lowest comfort range. You already know you are not in the average range.

Plus things like humidity, rain and wind influence comfort zones.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 05-06-2018 at 02:52.

Thanks for the replies guys. When I say I sleep cold, I should have clarified that’s only really in a hammock and I suspect it’s a result of air pockets underneath the underquilt that I haven’t managed to get rid of reliably, so I was wondering if the design of the wooki might help overcome that and give me a quilt I can take to the intended limit. Cabbo, from your (really helpful!) write up though, the 20 seems to be the better option and worth the extra space / weight below 50 then. Out of interest, have you used any different inderquilts as comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinentia View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. When I say I sleep cold, I should have clarified that’s only really in a hammock and I suspect it’s a result of air pockets underneath the underquilt that I haven’t managed to get rid of reliably, so I was wondering if the design of the wooki might help overcome that and give me a quilt I can take to the intended limit. Cabbo, from your (really helpful!) write up though, the 20 seems to be the better option and worth the extra space / weight below 50 then. Out of interest, have you used any different inderquilts as comparison?
    Hey there Incontinentia, to answer your question l do have two other UQ's "traditional style" using shock cord suspension for all adjustments.

A 40*f synthetic and a 20*f down. Having said this l personally found the tension used to create the seal with the 20* with this style using shock cord l found placed restrictions with my comfort, a somewhat limitation of my lay position and the sweet spot, this possibly has minimal effect felt when camping out over few nights after a long days hike, however from a nightly basis over time things become noticeable via a "normalised" ruiteen of becomings and condition.

Making the choice for the 20* Wooki for yourself l believe feels to be the appropriate tempreture rating with your climate. There is a lot of humidity in my part of the world, this absorbent with moisture had concerned me to run light or use minimal down if possible.

Adaption with the Wooki may require the initial set up adjustments to give you the overall set and forget placement with your Chameleon..... l can't be sure wether it will snap on perfectly out of the box, however it is easy enough to loop a small length of non stretch cord too the loop of the head end of the Wooki, testing out of the tensioning.

There are others here also using the Wooki with Chameleon hammocks as l have seen this written up, possibly here in this section of the forum.

All the best, enjoy the journey mate!

Thanks Cabbo, that's really good advice and makes sense. I think that's my main issue at the moment with more traditional style UQs - either I have it loose and comfortable and get cold spots or I cinch it up tight and get strangled by shock cord. I got into hammocks mainly in the tropics with no UQ so maybe I've been too spoiled!

• + New Posts