Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool The Cowboy D.A.R.T. (Dyneema Asym Recon Tarp) * 90 GRAMS!

This is a design and a project that I mulled over for more than a year, being a big proponent of the virtues asym tarps for hammock camping.

If you want to see what a 90-gram tarp that covers an 11-foot gathered-end hammock looks like, read on...

My thanks to Dutch and Alex at Dutchware Gear for their input and contributions in helping me bring this idea to fruition.

Here was my result...

Type: Compact directional parallelogram asym hammock tarp
    Materials: 0.51 oz Dyneema composite fabric, 1/2" poly grosgrain ribbon, 1/2" Beastee Dee rings, McNett Seam Grip, 1/2 DCF bonding tape. Mara 70 thread
    Ridge Line Length: 128"
    Weight: 3.2 oz (90 grams!)

The Cowboy D.A.R.T. (Dyneema Asym Recon Tarp) is an ultra-lightweight weather protection option for the hardcore hammocker.

D -- Its construction is approximately 92% Dyneema composite fabric (by weight) using mostly no-sew methods
    A -- It's a very precise, highly abbreviated parallelogram shape designed to be hung with asymmetrical directional pitch
    R -- It's best suited for recon hikes where you want to move fast and light to survey a large wilderness area quickly
    T -- It's a tarp!

Dyneema composite fabric (AKA DCF AKA "The Fabric Formerly Known As Cube Fiber") is intriguing to many of us. It doesn't just sing a siren song of lighter weight; it puts on an ultralight Super Bowl half time show with a two-story speaker stack, pyrotechnics, and a Jumbotron in the background. It boasts unrivaled light weight in a variety of thicknesses from sensible to stupid. It flirts with danger with minimal abrasion and puncture resistance despite its unparalleled tensile strength in comparison to conventional outdoor fabrics. It has boatloads of high-tech appeal for gear nerds with its ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) weave and its signature translucency. In terms of aesthetic appeal it is unabashedly homely, fairly coarse, and acoustically irksome, and yet somehow -- like a last-minute prom-date -- it fills one with hope that it will perform beyond expectation when put to the test -- making DCF downright sexy despite its trade-offs.

One issue for designing tarps with DCF compared to conventional fabrics is that it is narrow in width at around 54" compared to standard-width waterproof fabrics that are 58" to 64" off the roll.

Because the DCF is kind of precious and because the shape of such a minimalist tarp is absolutely critical if it is going to provide effective weather protection, I cobbled together two asym tarp mock-ups out of cheap fabric using my proposed dimensions for the final Cuben Fiber version, just to make sure I got this right the first time when using the DCF. Here is the second conventional fabric mock-up, pitched in a (mostly) "storm mode"...

Measured out the usable width of my sample, and it actually came in at a scant 55" after the selvage edge is removed, almost an inch wider than claimed. I don't know if this is typical or if there is a touch of variance from roll to roll on the DCF material, but because the width of the usable fabric is so critical, I went ahead and tweaked my asym tarp dimensions to allow for Cuben Fiber that is 54" to 55" wide in usable width, just in case fabric runs used for tarp construction vary slightly.

As you can see over an 11-foot hammock with a 110" ridge line, this is one SMALL tarp -- and yet with a proper pitch it does the job!

I consider Jared's Simply Light Designs Simplicity Asym tarp to be kind of the gold standard for a standard-width parallelogram asym tarp; it works, and I have used one extensively over the last couple of years in a lot of really bad weather, so I have learned a lot of the tips and tricks necessary to stay dry under one.

The SLD Simplicity uses a 140" ridge line, 15" overhangs, and a 73-degree angle over the gathered ends. It has an effective (hex-equivalent) width over the head and feet of almost 90" and puts the side tie-outs about 30" away from the hammock midpoint in either direction. Total coverage area is 6300 sq in.

My final D.A.R.T. design uses a 128" ridge line, 9" overhangs, and a 77-degree angle (4 degrees wider) over the gathered ends. It has an effective (hex-equivalent) width over the head and feet of about 88" and puts the side tie-outs about 29" away from the hammock midpoint in either direction. Total coverage area is 5830 sq in (about 8% less).

The D.A.R.T. is shorter at the ridge line out of necessity, better matched to the length of the hammock ridge line, allowing the narrow DCF composite to rotate a couple of degrees for maximum effective width while still covering the head and footbox adequately.

The main trade-off -- other than coverage area -- is the shorter overhang distance at the ends, requiring more precise centering to make sure that the vulnerable long edges on the sides opposite the head and feet get adequate coverage. That makes this tarp a bit intimidating for novice users and much more geared toward hardcore ultralighters and serious gram weenies. It is amazing how much difference a couple of inches on each side makes, as this tarp feels significantly smaller than my SLD asym and definitely skimpy compared to my K.I.S.S. 6' x 9' rectangular asym made from Dutch's Xenon Wide waterproof fabric, which has the same ridge line length on the diagonal but boasts a 13-degree wider corner over the gathered end.

Trailworthiness was not sacrificed, even though 0.51 oz Dyneema fabric was chosen for the tarp panel. The corners are a quadruple-layer bonded design, and the whole tarp is "no-sew" -- bonded reinforcements with taped single-fold hems -- save for a box-X stitch pattern at each tie-out through two internal layers of DCF, with the grosgrain ribbon tie-out bonded and sandwiched between the main panel and an additional underside patch. There are no holes in the tarp panel, and every corner is four layers thick. Transitions between thicknesses are offset to smooth out the transitions so that the tarp can be flipped in the opposite lay direction without catching rain or creating unsightly visual aesthetics.

On the bright side, the D.A.R.T. redefines LIGHT WEIGHT for hammock tarps. My K.I.S.S. 6'x9' typically weighs in at around 8.5 ounces.; the DCF D.A.R.T. tips the scales at a little over 3 ounces -- 90 grams -- which is less than half the weight. That's a savings of well over a quarter pound of what is already one of the lighter tarp solutions available, 60% to 80% lighter than most two-panel conventional tarps and still a couple of ounces lighter than the skimpiest CF hex (with half as many stakes and guy lines too). It is also cost-effective compared to a DIY Cuben two-panel hex or rectangle in terms of its use of this expensive material for someone looking to build their own tarp, since it takes only 3.5 yards of Dyneema fabric.

The D.A.R.T. is a dialed-in single-panel Dyneema asym tarp. In my research I noticed that Zpacks seems to use two-panel construction on their 132" DCF asym tarp, which is basically just a CF hex with two of the corners deleted, but the shape is ineffective because they didn't really sweat the dimensions or consider the effects of ridge line length on proper pitch over an 11-foot hammock with a 110" ridge line. Hammock Gear does a significantly better job of shaping their two-panel DCF asym tap IMHO, but for DIY its hard to beat the economy and weight savings of a single-panel design cut to just the right shape.

I think the D.A.R.T. comes pretty close. Field tests this spring and summer will have the final say.

As with most DCF tarps, the D.A.R.T.'s packed size is not its top selling point; it packs down smaller than almost any hex tarp, but it is bulky compared to most rectangular or parallelogram asym tarps, including those with substantially more coverage area.

In terms of pitch performance, centering is critical with the D.A.R.T., and one is advised to pull out all the tricks of the trade that savvy asym tarp hangers like to use -- like running the hammock suspension under the short edges of the tarp rather than through the "V" at the ridge line tie-outs to tweak the positioning of the tarp and protect the hammock under the vulnerable long edges. Resisting the urge to pitch the sides down steeply is another tip, opting instead to find the "sweet spot" offered by a more moderate wingspan even in a downpour. Minimum pitch height over the hammock ridge line is less than 4", recommended during inclemencies. A taut pitch is effortless with the D.A.R.T., and there is no need to crank out the ridge line or lateral tie-outs under high tension to avoid flapping, since its parallelogram shape slips the wind relatively easily. Best of all, your 90-gram tarp only requires two guy lines and two stakes (which your hammock tie-outs can share, if you use them), cutting your tarp accessory weight by at least half.

Less is more, but sometimes less can be...less. Two caveats related to the shape of this asym tarp and its practical use...

1) If you've much taller than 6'2" (my height) you may find this tarp is too small in bad weather, depending upon the angle of your diagonal lay, because your head and/or feet may project too far for adequate protection.

2) If you have a very wide hammock body (64" or more) you may find that the deeper pocket that the extra fabric width affords you makes this tarrp too small in bad weather, again depending upon the angle of your diagonal lay, because your head and/or feet may project too far for adequate protection.

This was my first-ever experience working with Dyneema composite fabrics and related construction materials (1/2" double-sided bonding tape and Seam Grip adhesive), and I was able to achieve quite satisfactory results, although the process seemed intimidating until I got under way.

Knowing what I know now about what works during the build process, I'll begin drafting a complete step-by-step DIY tutorial article that should be available at Dutchware Gear in the Articles section by the end of the month. You can order everything you need to build your own D.A.R.T. from DWG.

Thanks for reading this project report.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-05-2018 at 06:11.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    More Cowboy wizardry! Great looking tarp.

Late afternoon yesterday I was discovering some of the pitching suggestions you detailed so perfectly above regarding steepness of sides, height above SRL, etc. I was using a SLD asym with my 10' DH Darien, which would seem to have an advantage over 11' for this tarp when it comes to coverage.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Exclamation DISCLAIMER

This DIY project report was submitted to this forum for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. Use any methods, ideas, or inspirations contained herein strictly AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any injury or harm that befalls others owing to information presented here, and I accept no responsibility for any errors the post contains.

I do not in any way advocate that others should do anything I have presented here; this thread is strictly DOCUMENTATION OF FACT. Readers beware.

There is a lot of great information on Hammock Forums available from members with much more substantial experience, better ideas, and better methods than mine. SEEK IT OUT.

Thank you for your attention.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    More Cowboy wizardry! Great looking tarp.

Late afternoon yesterday I was discovering some of the pitching suggestions you detailed so perfectly above regarding steepness of sides, height above SRL, etc. I was using a SLD asym with my 10' DH Darien, which would seem to have an advantage over 11' for this tarp when it comes to coverage.
    Many thanks.

The cool thing about DIYing a parallelogram asym tarp is that if you're willing to sit down and do the math, you can dial in some pretty ideal dimensions specific to your hammock set-up and preferences, so you can fit the ridge line length and locate the side tie-outs to afford the best coverage for the specific diagonal lay requirements for the hammock over which you intend to pitch the tarp.

That said, understanding the tweaks that are possible with the pitch will let you adjust almost any asym tarp to give you the needed protection in most conditions,

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    More great work. 90 grams!!! I think I can carry that. And you can make it with practically no sewing. I was playing around with 3 inch 3M adhesive tape today. Like most of the adhesives used on Dyneema fabric, it is adhesive sandwiched between two pieces of removable paper. It could help with the corner reinforcements. Remind me to get you some.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    More great work. 90 grams!!! I think I can carry that. And you can make it with practically no sewing. I was playing around with 3 inch 3M adhesive tape today. Like most of the adhesives used on Dyneema fabric, it is adhesive sandwiched between two pieces of removable paper. It could help with the corner reinforcements. Remind me to get you some.
    Thank you so much. The wide tape sounds like a useful component and could potentially speed up assembly dramatically if it can offer an alternative to the successive overnight curing of the Seam Grip used to laminate all the layers.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    How much money could one save by making this versus an off the shelf hex cuben DCF tarp from HG? Gear nerds rejoice! Ackbar approved this message.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I am reserving the full read of your post for later this evening. Suffice to say, this looks awesome. I am looking forward to the details.

Any thoughts on a 'next' DCF project??
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'm still chuckling about your narrative for this tarp. Looks so sexy like a very short mini-skirt. I'm just not sure that this would work in our "down pour" still weather in the south. Great job on the tarp now make me a full size with doors

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    ...Suffice to say, this looks awesome...Any thoughts on a 'next' DCF project??
    Thanks.

I feel I've now explored adequately a minimalist approach to Cuben Fiber tarps.

Now, as they saying goes, "go BIG or go home..." Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I'm still chuckling about your narrative for this tarp. Looks so sexy like a very short mini-skirt. I'm just not sure that this would work in our "down pour" still weather in the south. Great job on the tarp now make me a full size with doors
    Glad you got a laugh out of this project report.

After a cold and fairly wet April, May has brought my part of Western Washington some unusually mild and dry weather so far in this first week. We have had the occasional transient cloudburst and plenty of gusty wind so far, and the D.A.R.T. has aced these conditions, but I'm ready to put it to the test and take it up a notch to some actual sustained rainfall and see how it does... I will keep you posted...

PS: A full-size with doors in this stuff would be a challenge...but I like a good challenge once in a while.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-04-2018 at 22:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast