Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BLOG: Why You Must Lay Flat in a Hammock

Get Highest Level of Comfort while Sleeping in Your Hammock?
    Check out our recent blog, Please give it a read.
    Thanks

Why You Must Lay Flat in a Hammock
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Cool, whose blog was that?

Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    Cool, whose blog was that?
    Yeah I'm Team Member of this blog and the Article is written by one of our team member.
    Btw Thanks for Reading
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I'm definitely in the minority, but I sleep just fine laying right down the middle like a banana lol. That's probably why I stay comfortable in shorter hammocks like my ENO and table cloth, I'm not trying to get that angle most people search for. YMMV HYOH and all that, I do understand most people search for that Holy Grail "flat" lay.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    "And take thy pin from thy holy hand grenade that thou may blowest up thine enemy into tiny bits..."(Monty Python Holy Grail) Yes the search for the flat comfortable lay IS the holy grail for hammockers no doubthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    "And take thy pin from thy holy hand grenade ..."
    "then shalt thou count to 83, no more, no less"

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question

I'm kinda the same way as Johnspenn, I typically don't need to lay totally diagonal to be comfortable and/or flat. Both of the hammocks I use 99% of the time are 11' and have a fairly deep sag. Sometimes I'll get a WICKED calf ridge w/the XLC, even w/the foot end hung higher and my body a lot closer to the head end per Warbonnets recommendations, which causes me to get more diagonal to correct it. But most of the time I'm almost completely flat and not far from laying right down the middle. Maybe it's because they are 11' long and I'm only 5'7" ? Idk, all I know is I'm not "banana" at all .
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I'm definitely in the minority, but I sleep just fine laying right down the middle like a banana lol. That's probably why I stay comfortable in shorter hammocks like my ENO and table cloth, I'm not trying to get that angle most people search for. YMMV HYOH and all that, I do understand most people search for that Holy Grail "flat" lay.
    My wife is in your club also, it makes me so mad that she can lay anyway she wants in a hammock and be super comfortable.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Lol. I think it also has a little something to do with the fact that on most nights once I call asleep, I'm soooooo comfortable that I don't move much , IF AT ALL, until my bladder or the alarm clock wakes me up. There was actually a night when I woke up to pee in the middle of the night and both legs/feet were numb from not moving, AT ALL. Talk about scary a.f lol. I almost pee'd myself bc I couldn't walk to the bathroom lol. Now that's a good night's sleep! But yeah, I'll lay kinda diagonally and be mostly flat.

Also, UQ's can sometimes inhibit the degree to which you can lay off of the centerline, some specific quilt lengths, types, suspension thicknesses and/or manufacturers more than others I've noticed. Example : The primary on my -10° Incubator is very thick due to the temps at which it will be used and the effect that cold has on shock cord below a certain temperature. This can cause the quilt to actually push against my feet to resist the force that's being applied and will make it harder to be more than a few degrees off of center. My Incubator more so than my CDT, more than my Snugpak and so on depending on suspension thicknesses, UQ length etc...
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I've found that the most diagonal lay possible is not necessarily the most comfortable lay possible (unless you're talking about a 14' extra wide Brazilian hammock- where you can almost lay 90°). This is even more apparent when I am using an integrated bug net and/or a properly suspended UQ. The netting/UQ suspension keeps the hammock sides from splaying out as far, and trying to get too diagonal can cause problems. When I go netless, I can get a little more diagonal and stay comfortable- though I don't necessarily "have" to.

I think some hammocks are just more forgiving than others, too. My DH Raven is very comfortable and flat with just about any lay (though I've never lay straight down the middle). I can be closer to the head-end, or foot-end, more diagonal, less diagonal, and be comfortable with all. This is especially nice after a long day of hiking, when I don't want to have to spend a ton of time "dialing in" my hammock to get a good night's sleep. As long as the foot-end is higher than the head-end, I'm good to go.
    Last edited by rweb82; 05-04-2018 at 10:01.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast