Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pillows?

Pillows?

Anyone use pillows for neck support? I see Dutch offers a down pillow that is pretty cheap. How does this compare to other compressible/compact pillows? (Sea to Smit Aeros, thermarest compressible, etc.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    pillows is even more personal than hammock choice. do what works for you, and have fun swapping gears as you go

I use the medium size therm a rest memory foam, I prefer a stiffer pillow. I also know a few who use the travel horseshoe pillows.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    I agree with Tikker, a pillow is a personal choice---the plus? it is easy and inexpensive to experiment with....

For me, I have tried a memory pillow, one of those u-shaped ones used for plane travel--it worked with some hammocks and not others of mine. When it gets cold, they stay way too firm. The best use for these were lounging around in the hammock reading a book.

On a whim, I took one of my daughter's old down vests and with a piece of a shoelace tied it up into a mock-up pillow. And, I'll be damned, it worked great, and used it most of the winter. I was able to make it flatter, tighter, etc...and found what I liked. Easy and cheap.

Then, right now, I have a small Hammock Gear down pillow. I use it differently then the others, it really just goes in the crook of my neck to give it support while my head is really resting on the hammock itself. Since a hammock comes up on the sides, I can control how high I want my head to be then just put the little pillow to make sure my neck is supported. I am using this with my thicker fabric hammock so has worked out well. I think the pillow from Simply Light Designs or Dutch would work, more or less, like this one.

I found no matter which hammock, pillow, or other gear I use, it takes a few days to a week to work out how to use it and have it be good for me...if I gave up after one night, I would miss how good different gear is...I have found I can be comfortable and happy in all my gear but each setup is different.

I want to try the larger Hammock Gear pillow this summer...next on my list to try.

Tinker, twiddle and generally experiment...have fun with it!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Big Sky international has an inflatable. I got the upgrade that adds a few extra ounces. The pillow by itself is under 2 ounces. Its pricy.
    Last edited by Two Tents; 05-02-2018 at 09:04.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Its nothing to do with being a desperate weight savings. I was offering a choice. Its a very comfy pillow.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I just ordered the pillow kit from Dutch. Fingers crossed. I am honestly considering a full size pillow for behind my knees. Can’t stand thet hyper extension feeling.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Agreed that pillows are a very personal choice, especially what you use for your head. I can get by with nothing on my back, but need something for on my side which I'm wont to do. On my back, I find my head tilts up some anyway, so I don't really want more of that. I use an AHE cub pillow under my neck while on my back, and its stout enough to use while on my side, doesn't crush so much like down pillows. When going with a smaller pack where I need less bulk, I use the small Exped pillow which has a unique shape that seems to work for me. Otherwise, I don't like air pillows.

I use a total of 3 pillows when I hang. I use a pillow sack stuffed with a jacket, etc., for under my knees. I also use a down pillow under my feet in all but warm nights. Helps with heel numbness and keeps my feet warm.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I've tried a number of solutions, and they all have seem to have their place in the various hammock contexts that I seem to find myself in.

1. Small "normal" pillow from Wal-mart for backyard or car camping. I don't know how much it weighs and it's not very compressible, but it's very comfortable and certainly packable enough for the car or a walk to the backyard.
    2. Inflatable pillow from Amazon for most backpacking, 2.75oz, packable. Amazon has a good variety of inflatable pillows which look like the Sea-to-Summit version at a fraction of the price. They can usually be found in "Today's Deals" for $10. Here is the one I'm currently using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It's comfortable and has a modestly soft feel so I don't need to wrap it in anything, and it's not too noisy. It is starting to replace #1 for me.
    3. Stuff sack with clothes. If I'm really trying to prune my packing list for whatever reason, the dedicated pillow usually gets cut and I use my clothes sack for a pillow. Moderately annoying for a minute or two compared to a real pillow, but then I'm asleep and it's fine.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Go! Outfitters Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Go!O Apex Shelter
    Insulation
    Go!O Adv Quilts
    Suspension
    Go!O Cinch Buckle
    I carry this one with me all the time, even if I am getting a bunk in a cabin or something like that. It has been perfect for me, and in the hammock, it is the perfect width and size. Even if you dont put any air in, it has some tempurpedic-like cushioning which is nice even on it's own. However, like others have said, this is too subjective - we are not you, we cannot know what will be most comfortable for you. We know what works for us. But give this one a look - I went through a dozen of amazon camping pillows before sending them all back and going with this one. I would buy this one again.

https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/fillo-luxury/
    Thanks,
    Brad

http://raven.deckyon.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast