Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    So is it better to have a footpad outside or inside the footbox? Let's assume its a sewn shut design because that's all I use now. I haven't tried the partial UQ footpad combo yet, but I'd like to figure this out before anyway.
    Not a set way to do it, but having it in the quilt footbox keeps it from moving around. By the way, I use a down pillow instead of a hard pad. Helped me with heel numbness, but also is very warm. Found it worked better than down booties.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    They do make some very good gear, I have two of their RevX TQs ( no longer made ). Good stuff
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by curlymaple42 View Post
    They sure have some nice products!! Never been to their site before. Just seen their quilts on MassDrop is all. I might need to order at least some accessories like the down booties and hood or whatever. Great stuff!!
    Their booties are not down. Synthetic insulation. Which I prefer anyway when it comes to booties. I have some and they are nice. I would recommend sizing up.

I have a hooded vest from them and love that thing. I tried their full jacket with sleeves and the arms were way too tight and had to return it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I used to have an Enigma Apex (synthetic) from them too. I really liked the hardware they used. I liked the pad clips because they clip to each other’s opposite counterpart. I liked how the cinch buckle by the head was a big circle style. I liked how the button snaps were placed. There were two pairs instead of the usual one pair and the second pair was a good distance below the top pair, which helped keep it tucked in.

I’d love to try the down version and now these hammock revisions are pretty interesting. The shorter footbox sounds like it may be less of a hassle to get into. They mention something about trimming the width down, but it still shows a regular as 54” wide just like the standard version. Anybody understand what that means? Did they just narrow down the footbox (as well as shorten it)?

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    None of this makes their quilts way superior to someone like HG, UGQ, LL. Just better for some people's needs or wants. I have an EE Rev, but I tend to point people towards HG Econ or UGQ Bandits a lot if they want something pretty much just as good for a lower price. But if they're sleeping on the ground sometimes, I'll point out EE's additional default width and pad attachment system.
    +1

In 2012 I went the EE way for my top quilts. Why ? I started with a 20F RevX which, if I remember well, was less pricey in 2012 than HG or UGQ and more versatile because it had already the pad attachment. In addition to this Tim offered an optional shock cord attachment to use the quilt as an underquilt. In my early hammock days I wasn't sure if hammocks were the real deal, so I wanted to keep as many options as possible. Its true that with this first quilt I slept more often on the ground than in a hammock and with the hammock I used it first as an UQ.

Less than a year later I got myself two more top quilts from EE for the upper and lower temperatures. I didn't look much elsewhere, because I was very happy with Tims service, so I don't remember if EE's pricing was already higher than others.

I am with HG now for my underquilts - summer 3/4 and winter full size. They are fantastic and I'm sure that their TQs are just as great and excellent value for money. But I'm very happy with my EE quilts which perform great for more than 5 years.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Just after the 7D shell option became available and just before this new line was introduced, I ordered a 30deg Enigma reg/reg in 7D, 950fp. Actual weight on my scale 14.12oz, stuffs down incredibly small.

I've used it a few nights on the trail and it is superb. Combined with 40deg Revolt (10.67oz), total trail weight is 24.8oz (1.55lb) which is pretty amazing compared to the old days when a "lightweight" 30deg sleeping bag alone weighed around 2 lbs
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I will say that EE's topquilt prices are lower than Katabatic. However, Katabatic topquilts have the reputation to be the gold standard for warm, lightweight down topquilts (for ground dwellers anyway)...They are also on the really expensive side, and I would venture to say that Loco Libre, Hammock Gear, UGQ would be more value for the $$$, whereas with Katabatic, you are paying for the brand name and the perceived "status" of owning Katabatic gear. Katabatic also spends a lot on advertising in Backpacker magazine and other outdoorsy magazines.

I am pleased with my 20 degree Revelation (down). It is a versatile piece of gear with the zippered foot box. For hammock use though, I wish I had gotten the sewn foot box for warmer feet. The zippered solution is still not as warm as the sewn foot box, and the sewn foot box is lighter.

I also wish I had gotten my topquilt a little longer. I am 5'10" and the standard length is a bit short for my comfort. standard width is okay for people under 250. Over 250#, go wider.
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 05-04-2018 at 08:12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123