SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I believe they started in the ultralight TQ business catering to ultralight ground-dwellers, with gear for hammock hangers being a complementary afterthought. I believe all their TQs come with pad straps, whereas most makers catering to hammocks do not, or they are optional.

I had a summer TQ which was actually a little too warm for me, so I sold. Believe they might have been the first to start using zippers for the footbox. I now have Revolt as my 3S UQ.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Couple of the EE folks are members here but rarely log in.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

The last time I looked (which was a while ago), EE was simply more expensive, so I think most people here look to Loco Libre, HG, or UGQ, among others, for that reason. That's certainly true for me.

Hammock
    DIY Orange Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema+Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ccolclou View Post
    The last time I looked (which was a while ago), EE was simply more expensive, so I think most people here look to Loco Libre, HG, or UGQ, among others, for that reason. That's certainly true for me.
    I just bought a quilt set and this was true for me. Comparing to EE to UGQ, UGQ offered more features (like a draft collar) and a more hammock focused quilt (narrower) for the same or lower cost. From what I can tell, the UGQ workmanship is pristine, so I was unable to determine what would incentivize me to buy from a vendor like EE instead.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kroot View Post
    I just bought a quilt set and this was true for me. Comparing to EE to UGQ, UGQ offered more features (like a draft collar) and a more hammock focused quilt (narrower) for the same or lower cost. From what I can tell, the UGQ workmanship is pristine, so I was unable to determine what would incentivize me to buy from a vendor like EE instead.
    Like you say, what you bought was true for you. Each has elements that could end up being more true for someone else. EE is on the more costly side, but they do include things like stuff sack, storage bag, and pad straps to use with attached rings. All of those can be options on other makes, though some do include some of those things as well. I do like having the option to save $$ in certain areas like stuff sack, etc.

My quick search trying to compare apples to apples as much as possible shows prices range $224 to $280, and yes, with EE being the most expensive. All were in the 18.7-18.9oz range, except UGQ which was either lighter or heavier depending on the length. Seems my 5'10" height is a bit of a tweener size for them. I've had EE & HG TQs, and I currently use LL TQ and HG & EE UQs. All are of exceptional quality, and I'm sure UGQ is, too. I really don't find the $56 more for EE to be all that much more, just depends on what is true for you, right?

p.s. EE makes 50" wide quilts, too, and price is reduced for choosing that option.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by kroot View Post
    Nobody is lighter than EE, and I believe the pad attachment system is superior, which appeals to ground campers. The default width is wider on their quilts too, which many people prefer, especially if sleeping on the ground. They're also a bigger name with more recognition which helps, and there's a huge number of positive reviews behind them due to their longevity and success.

None of this makes their quilts way superior to someone like HG, UGQ, LL. Just better for some people's needs or wants. I have an EE Rev, but I tend to point people towards HG Econ or UGQ Bandits a lot if they want something pretty much just as good for a lower price. But if they're sleeping on the ground sometimes, I'll point out EE's additional default width and pad attachment system.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I ordered an Enigma a couple months ago and got it just before I went to Shenandoah for a week. It is very well made, and very warm. I don't know if I'd want to give up any width on it though. I definitely don't need the pad clips on the bottom.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

I am shocked that there isn't already discussion about Enlightened Equipments new quilts

So is it better to have a footpad outside or inside the footbox? Let's assume its a sewn shut design because that's all I use now. I haven't tried the partial UQ footpad combo yet, but I'd like to figure this out before anyway.

I've gone both ways with the footbox and pad. For winter trips and a partial length quilt I use a reflectix pad glued to foam that goes between my hammock and quilt. This past weekend with my 20 degree EE TQ and JRB greylock3, I used one of the thin flexible ones I bought from Arrowhead Equipment inside my TQ. I think it all depends on whatever is comfortable for you.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    They sure have some nice products!! Never been to their site before. Just seen their quilts on MassDrop is all. I might need to order at least some accessories like the down booties and hood or whatever. Great stuff!!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast