Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images

Attaching Tarp to Suspension

I have up to this point run a separate ridgeline for my tarp and thus the tarp is isolated from the hammock setup. The minor annoyance is the tarp does not lineup with the hammock and I have to adjust to make sure the ends of the hammock are covered. Also as I get in the hammock the suspension and the tarp ridgeline interfere, knocking thing out of adjustment some times. I recently tried to attach the tarp directly to the suspension lines. This worked well until I got in the hammock and the ends came together taking the tension out of the tarp causing it to sag.

How do you hang your tarp? Isolated, integrated, shock corded, other? Thank you I'd like to know.

If you have integrated attaching the tarp to the hammock suspension I'd be interested in how you made this your and kept the trap from sagging.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 05-01-2018 at 10:20.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Tarp is isolated with a CRL. Sometimes I create the V with the tarp line a nod run the hammock suspension inside. This works best on larger diameter trees.
    Other times I run the tarp line off to the opposite side of the tree from the hammock suspension. This works on smaller trees. When I use this method I will hang the lines opposite on each end too to create and X from above. This way there is less chance of rubbing them together when laying in the hammock.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Yep. Continues ridge line. Dutch hook on one end and wasp on the other. A prussic “spelling” loop on both ends of my tarp for adjustment. Works well for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 11x View Post
    Yep. Continues ridge line. Dutch hook on one end and wasp on the other. A prussic “spelling” loop on both ends of my tarp for adjustment. Works well for me.
    Same exact setup here but my tarp is large enough that I do not have to worry about a bit of misalignment.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Oh boy... this is the proverbial rabbit hole..

I use a Continuous Ridge Line (CRL) with Dutch hook and Toggle, with mini ucrs to attach, position and tension the tarp.

I also use two Separate Mini Ucr Ridgel Lines (SMURL), each with a Dutch hook and mini ucr to attach, position and tension the tarp.

And recently, forum member Sqidmark and I have been working on an in integrated system that uses dyneema straps with sliding Dutch Double Whoopie Hook to hang the hammock and a prussik with Dutch Hook Works to attach, position and tension the tarp.

Each has its' pros and cons but all will allow the tarp to be positioned where ever it needs to be relative to the hammock.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I would definitely recommend isolating the tarp from the hammock. I like the split ridgeline with a single line running off each end of the tarp, and Dutch Flyz for line tensioning.

I tried the CRL, but found it was a huge pain to loosen the line from the Wasp. And I also did not like the prusiks. I suppose I could swap out the Wasp for a Fly, and purchase a couple Nama Claws to replace the prusiks. But I'll probably just stick with the split RL. Once you know how much overhang you need to have a centered tarp, it's easy to eyeball it when setting up the first side. after that, once you pull the other side tight, the tarp is centered right where it needs to be.
    Last edited by rweb82; 05-01-2018 at 07:50.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Separate for me. Tried the tarp lines on the hammock suspension and gave up after 5 minutes.
    My tarp line runs from a D-ring at one end of the tarp, around the 1st tree, back through that D-ring and through the other D-ring, around the 2nd tree and back to a Dutch stinger on the 2nd D-ring. Tarp moves like a Manhattan clothesline.
    Easiest way I've found to center the tarp over my hammock.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Thank you all for the replies. Looks like everyone so far hangs the tarp isolated from the hammock. That is also how I have done things so far. I have gone back and forth between hanging the tarp over its own line and just tying to the end loops. To keep things tight in either method I personally just tie a taught-line hitch. Practicing knot tying for 10 min at every weekly scout meeting for 8 years eliminates the need for Dutchwear bling.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Attaching Tarp to Suspension

Kokomo Hammock Suspension on YouTube and Kokomo on YouTube. Not for everybody.

Hammock ridgeline has been moved way up high to be tarp ridgeline. It droops when hammock empty—-when I’m in hammock ridgeline is taut.
    Tarp ridge seam seems to stay taut at all times, even when ridgeline droops.

If I made another Kokomo suspension for another hammock, I don’t know if it would be same or not.

My tarp is not set to be spang tight and I do not set tarp tight——laziness and not wanting to damage any tarp loops or seams.

Good luck HYOH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just attach my tarp directly to the suspension line for my hammock. I use an extended 16" loop of Amsteel on both ends and a 10' tarp. They both just attached to the same toggle off of my Kevlar tree straps. The tarp and hammock ridge line are a fixed length so everything stays nice and consistent as long as there isn't any slack in the ridge line. I use shock cord at the bottom of the tarp to pull out slack and keep it taught. Here's a picture of the toggle with lines attached:

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...hp?i=30467&c=7

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast