Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Hiker or Camper?
    That really is the difference for me.
    Car Camper...not worth it.
    Hiker...worth it.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If backpacking with UL focus and distances, I'd say go for the HG std hex with doors. While it doesn't have the coverage of the 'palaces' I've found it good enough for me down to 4°F with some wind, and it kept my UQ reasonably dry (which means not too wet )) in a torrential rain that lasted several hours (and both those scenarios occurred on the SAME trip!). I don't think it would suffice for a blizzard, however. I like the 12' because it provides a little more room for cooking with my hanging stove setup.

Hanging_stove.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Orange Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema+Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    Hiker or Camper?
    That really is the difference for me.
    Car Camper...not worth it.
    Hiker...worth it.
    This is definitely for backpacking. Car camping I would just keep using the ol' blue tarp.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'll just add to my post way up above. For me the CF is all about the backpacking weight. I had my pack made with a tall outside pocket specifically for tarps/poles, so no issues there. I'll wear eye shades on moonlit nights if necessary. Like Silvr, I have no intention of hanging out under it during daylight hours, and as for privacy, I'm out in the middle of the woods and I doubt the bears care. I wear ear plugs every night regardless of the tarp in use, so rain noise is a non issue for me. Every one of the points brought up in this thread are valid, I'll not argue a single one, I merely present my own justifications as they apply to my wants/needs/desires.

When my wife backpacks with me we have a diy SF sized xenon tarp with external poles. We double hang. Works great but wouldn't mind dropping a few ounces. For car camping in warmer weather we'll use that same tarp and for colder temps we have the Taj.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by kroot View Post
    This is definitely for backpacking. Car camping I would just keep using the ol' blue tarp.
    Is the saved weight worth it to you? That's by far the most important question.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kroot View Post
    Will you even use the tarp backpacking enough to justify the cost? Unless you are going outside, most of the backpacking is above treeline. That has been enough for me to question if the extra cost is worth it. I hang more in the winter and camp low to avoid the avalanche danger, and there is so much extra gear that the weight isn't really an issue.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It gets expensive to get lighter but if you can afford it then go for it.

Hammock
    DIY Orange Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema+Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Is the saved weight worth it to you? That's by far the most important question.
    Yes, definitely. If I can drop weight without sacrificing performance (e.g. stupid light) then I think it's worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
    Will you even use the tarp backpacking enough to justify the cost? Unless you are going outside, most of the backpacking is above treeline. That has been enough for me to question if the extra cost is worth it. I hang more in the winter and camp low to avoid the avalanche danger, and there is so much extra gear that the weight isn't really an issue.
    I've definitely noticed that about the trails up here, which is kind of a bummer

That being said, I think I'll be able to find plenty of trails with intermittent trees to enable me to backpack with a hammock. As soon as I get my quilts in from UGQ I'm going to do a weekend trip to the Russian Lakes, for instance. At some point I'll work my way through the Resurrection Trail.

Indeed, one of the reasons I want to get the lightest tarp possible is because I know I'm going to have to put in some longer days here and there to make it from one viable hang spot to another.

It's uncertain how long I'll be up here and I definitely plan on doing other treks down south. All of this is pointing me in the direction of just buying the lightest weight tarp and using it for as long as I can.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL, Katabatic Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    In my tenting days (ie- like just a few months ago lol), I bought and used an absurd amount of various DCF products from several cottage companies. I think if one is putting in some decent miles or time in the woods backpacking, they are worth it. For a weekend warrior a few times a year or car camping, I’d put my money elsewhere like a top of the line TQ/UQ.

I’m thru hiking the AT in 2020 and will be using a DCF tarp. My only hope is that by that time there will be more door styles than what’s available. I’d love to see Warbonnet make their current line up in DCF (especially their newest MountainFly).

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I’m thru hiking the AT in 2020 and will be using a DCF tarp. My only hope is that by that time there will be more door styles than what’s available. I’d love to see Warbonnet make their current line up in DCF (especially their newest MountainFly).
    You should DIY that tarp. Available DCF material only has about 54" of usable width off the roll, so it will be more like a composite Thunderfly than a Mountainfly, but it will still provide good coverage and be uber-light compared to conventional fabrics. There's only a touch of math, and then the rest or the design for a half-door hex is actually fairly straightforward. If you're accepting the all the challenges that come with hiking the entire AT, building exactly the tarp you'd like to bring for yourself will be a cinch, relatively speaking, even if you don't already have the skill set under your belt.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast