Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for chiming in Brandon.
    It must be the strap like you said as it was sitting a lot closer to the ground than my last hang. I should have 'reset' the hammock from a neutral spot and started again. I figured that i may have been too far back on the head end as my feet are usually resting right inside the box. I guess with my other XLC i just disconnect the biners and my straps are still set from the last hang. I still had a great nights sleep regardless. I will try again next time when my daughter hangs the night with me.
    Thanks again.

Hey Brandon, do you still have the old XLC? Maybe set them up side by side (or back to back and use the same trees each time) and try to see what the difference is, all you're doing is trying to get the hang you used to have correct? Also I'd lay in both and have someone take a picture of how it looks with weight in it compared to your original. Good luck man

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    This may be a stupid question, but with the foot end 12" higher, wont the angle decrease off the head end because its going to be lower ?

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortalviking View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but with the foot end 12" higher, wont the angle decrease off the head end because its going to be lower ?
    It's not a stupid question. Yes, it will decrease. With a lot of things, I think of what happens when you take parameters to their extremes to get a handle on their effects. If you move the foot end up, say, six feet, what happens? The head end angle eventually goes to zero... then negative. So raising the foot end will reduce the head end angle. That with all other factors kept equal.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    So do you want the footend to be at a 30* angle and the head end at say, a 20* angle ?
    Or do we set it up with both at 30*, then drop the head end 6-12" and then start adjusting the strap lengths until the ridgeline test is just right ?

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    ...drop the head end 6-12" and then start adjusting the strap lengths until the ridgeline test is just right ?
    This is what I do, depending on span. Wider spans call for a larger drop at the head end. I don't bother setting it up at 30* first just to lower the head end strap. I like the hang angle shallow on my XLC. I don't measure the angles, I just adjust the buckles until the ridgeline is pretty tight. 30* is really just a point of reference; you'll have to play with it until you find what works for you. YMMV, HYOH.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    So do you want the footend to be at a 30* angle and the head end at say, a 20* angle ?
    Or do we set it up with both at 30*, then drop the head end 6-12" and then start adjusting the strap lengths until the ridgeline test is just right ?
    Warbonnet states on the setup videos on their site (assume you have watched those...) to hang the XLC with the angles at 30° and your desired height from the ground. Then when its all said and done....raise the foot end straps about 6-12". This will keep you from sliding down into the belly of the hammock which is good because you want to be sleeping toward the head end of the hammock for reduced calf ridge. The sweet spot on my XLC is definitely biased to the head end. I agree with DeltaNu1142, I prefer my ridgeline to be a bit tighter and my hang angles usually end around 25° ish. YMMV and HYOH and all that. Good luck!
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Im 6'2" and place the head end suspenion line at my height, then hang the foot end suspension about 12" higher, then fiddle around. But i think i'll get both angles set at 30*, check the ridgeline/lay comfort, then make height and strap adjustments from there.
    Thanks for everyones input.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Im an idiot.
    I now realise why my footbox was 'droopy'. It was my first night with my underquilt, and it was the underquilt suspension that was pushing the fabric up, and then to fall inside.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

XLC Hang Question

You're not an idiot. You learned something.

Just ask anyone who's unzipped their bugnet and plopped down into their underquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast