Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images

Winter Dream, Winter Haven, Superfly...?

Is there any real difference in the offerings of the above mentioned tarps with Door?

I mean, I know you can get various options from UGQ, SLD, WB, and others (like pole pockets, extra tie outs, panel pulls, etc), but is there any compelling advantage in one of these over the other? By the way, I'm not talking CF..just think about the sil-poly offerings. I do like the sounds of the snaps on the UGQ winter dream, but other than that, is it pretty much a wash?

One other question for those of you with 11 ft GE hammock who have used both 11 ft & 12 ft "winter" tarps...preference?

Thanks for your opinions!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS
    Fastest 'turn around' time will be SLD with Jared's unbeatable workmanship and outstanding quality,...plus whatever options you might want, including KAM snaps on the doors. IMO no other vendor exceeds what you can expect from Jared. I use a WB RR with my 13' Winter Haven with a straight cut bottom, additional centre tie-out, and both an exterior and interior pole mod. Pitches taut with an abundance of interior space.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Ton View Post
    Is there any real difference in the offerings of the above mentioned tarps with Door?

I mean, I know you can get various options from UGQ, SLD, WB, and others (like pole pockets, extra tie outs, panel pulls, etc), but is there any compelling advantage in one of these over the other? By the way, I'm not talking CF..just think about the sil-poly offerings. I do like the sounds of the snaps on the UGQ winter dream, but other than that, is it pretty much a wash?

One other question for those of you with 11 ft GE hammock who have used both 11 ft & 12 ft "winter" tarps...preference?

I own tarps from most of those companies. No significant differences that I can think of. I prefer 11' tarp with 11' hammock because you have to hang a 12' tarp _just a little_ higher than an 11' tarp, in order to clear the hammock suspension, and you lose _just a little_ coverage on the sides. It's not very much, but it's significant to me. There are others who prefer the opposite, and are not bothered by hanging the tarp a tiny bit higher, though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMove View Post
    Fastest 'turn around' time will be SLD with Jared's unbeatable workmanship and outstanding quality,...plus whatever options you might want, including KAM snaps on the doors. IMO no other vendor exceeds what you can expect from Jared. I use a WB RR with my 13' Winter Haven with a straight cut bottom, additional centre tie-out, and both an exterior and interior pole mod. Pitches taut with an abundance of interior space.
    OnTheMove makes an excellent point, and that is why SLD is my preferred tarp and hammock vendor.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    OnTheMove makes an excellent point, and that is why SLD is my preferred tarp and hammock vendor.

Same here. I really like Jarred's work and he's so fast plus he will seam seal his tarps which I like not having to do myself.

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide Hexon 1.6 Coyote B.
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Econs 30
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Reasons mentioned above is why I went to Jared. Just opened my package and it was ready to go. His turn around is unbelievably quick. There's nothing worse then playing the waiting game. Mine is the Silpoly Gen2 12ft and as stated you have to pitch it a hair higher but it didn't bother me at all. Plus Jared communicates very well on any add ons you'd like.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I own both the WD and some SF's. I do love the snaps on the doors for the WD. I also got it with internal pole mods and 13ft to swallow up my RR.
    I also have the SF in silpoly and silnylon. Both are great. I got the silpoly because I had to have that Buckwash! It's my favorite camo.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Ton View Post
    ....One other question for those of you with 11 ft GE hammock who have used both 11 ft & 12 ft "winter" tarps...preference?

I am using an 11' hammock and just moved up from an 11' Superfly (also had a MamaJamba before that) to a pair of DIY 12' tarps.. one with doors and one without. I don't mind having to pitch a little higher and don't see any downside to it. I really like the extra six inches fore and aft for positioning the hammock. The only issue I can think of with the longer tarp is finding myself in a short hang.. I remember just getting the MamaJamba to fit between the only two trees we could find late in the day on the AT. I have already thought about adding a second set of ridge tie out points six inches in from each end... easy enough to add.
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    I own tarps from most of those companies. No significant differences that I can think of. I prefer 11' tarp with 11' hammock because you have to hang a 12' tarp _just a little_ higher than an 11' tarp, in order to clear the hammock suspension, and you lose _just a little_ coverage on the sides. It's not very much, but it's significant to me. There are others who prefer the opposite, and are not bothered by hanging the tarp a tiny bit higher, though.
    Pitch it a little higher and pull the sides in a little tighter.. I use a single under tarp pole so I really don't feel like I am losing any space.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Web / Buckle
    UGQ WD 12 for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    And the plot thickens...Now Dutchware Gear has a winter tarp offering as well!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast