Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HOGShop View Post
    My wife and I spent all last year testing our “double” hammock. We call it the Gemini. There is a carbon Fiber spreader bar at the head end. Similar to other designs mentioned already. It’s been awesome sharing the same space. When hanging with my wife I wouldn’t go back to separate hammocks.

https://hofmanoutdoorgearsupply.ca/h...n-hammock.html
    That's pretty slick, hadn't seen that one. Looks similar what I've been moving towards (pair of Chameleons + spreader bar + Double Dutch Bugnet) but with a permanent center connection and maybe a wider head end. What's the spreader bar length? Didn't see an option for the bugnet, does that come with the "basic" model? Any idea where there might be some more specs (weight, length, etc...) on this?

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Best Hammock for 2 People?

Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    That's pretty slick, hadn't seen that one. Looks similar what I've been moving towards (pair of Chameleons + spreader bar + Double Dutch Bugnet) but with a permanent center connection and maybe a wider head end. What's the spreader bar length? Didn't see an option for the bugnet, does that come with the "basic" model? Any idea where there might be some more specs (weight, length, etc...) on this?
    Thanks!
    The one picture is to show the bugnet can be zipped down and stored when not needed

I need to add the specs to the webpage.. but here they are:
    *Hammocks are 11’ with ridgeline set at 110”
    *The bugnet is integrated and able to be zipped to the footend and stored in the peak. All models include the bugnet
    *the head end fabric panel is wider at the head and tapers towards the feet. The extra room is great as it allows either person to sleep head right/feet left or visa versa. (Symmetrical design)
    * I am currently using the cinch buckle suspension.
    * carbon fibre spreader bar splits in half with shock cord and is 34” long and weighs 3oz
    * hammock weighs 2lbs 8oz with the 4 cinch buckles.
    Continuous loops and Whoopie slings could easily shave off some weight.

Let me know if I’m missing something. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HOGShop; 05-08-2018 at 13:07.
    So much to explore, so little time!

Hogshop.ca

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    ... Let me know if I’m missing something. Thanks
    OK - you asked for it. Seriously, though, that's a great start. I'm not sure I'd call these "missing" - perhaps "requests for additional detail". Some of the folks around here like to know all about the fiddly bits.

*Hammocks are 11’ with ridgeline set at 110”
    If the other bits were all removed, would you end up with a pair of 11' rectangular gathered end hammocks (nothing wrong with that IMHO), or would there be some contouring / cat cats / ... in the shape? How wide would they be?

*the head end fabric panel is wider at the head and tapers towards the feet. The extra room is great as it allows either person to sleep head right/feet left or visa versa. (Symmetrical design)
    I'm a little confused on this one - is it referring to the "bridge" (biege) fabric or the hammock (blue) fabric or both? I'm not sure what you mean by "extra room", and how (or if) this would be different from (a pair of) typical gathered end hammocks.

* carbon fibre spreader bar splits in half with shock cord and is 34” long and weighs 3oz
    So it is a little wider than the typical 32" setup from DutchWare (you can get wider, but that might cause problems for the normal sized Double Dutch Bugnet)

* hammock weighs 2lbs 8oz with the 4 cinch buckles.
    Is that weight including the straps/suspension, bugnet, and spreader bar?

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If the other bits were all removed, would you end up with a pair of 11' rectangular gathered end hammocks (nothing wrong with that IMHO), or would there be some contouring / cat cats / ... in the shape? How wide would they be?
    Yes your correct. Two 11' GE hammocks. Standard width at 56"

I'm a little confused on this one - is it referring to the "bridge" (biege) fabric or the hammock (blue) fabric or both? I'm not sure what you mean by "extra room", and how (or if) this would be different from (a pair of) typical gathered end hammocks.
    Both I would say accomplish the "extra room". The "bridge fabric" is tapered head to toe but ends up acting sort of like a "saddle bag". We store gear in the middle like a change of clothes etc. In addition the cut/shape of the entire unit allows you to lay feet together, heads together or one of each. It really is like having your own separate hammock but sharing the same space with the bugnet.

When my wife wanted to start hammock camping with me, she wasn't interested in sleeping away from me so I purchased Dutch's Double whoopie hooks - which I love - That solved one problem but we were still separated by a wall of bug netting. Being the DIY guy that I am I went about solving that issue as well.

Is that weight including the straps/suspension, bugnet, and spreader bar?
    That weight is for the complete hammock, bugnet, ridgeline organizers, continuous loops with cinch buckles. It wouldn't be too difficult to shave off some fabric weight and loose the cinch buckles.
    So much to explore, so little time!

Hogshop.ca

Here's an inside view :

The Center Zip is probably nowhere near as durable as the center in the Vertex, but so far my son hasn't manged to put an elbow through it (though he can't seem to stop trying). The visibility shared with your co-hanger is significantly improved - I'd like more, but I think it's good enough and I'm not sure there's much room left for improvement short of a dedicated double system like the Vertex. But it's also really nice to retain the ability to easily switch between a double hammock with shared bug-net enclosure and a pair of singles.

Initial testing has been going well, except perhaps for my son deciding to change from a Wizard to a Druid. So hasty these young ones. I also just got a new tarp which might be a decent temporary solution (and maybe reasonable long term for ongoing car-camping and backyard hangs) until I can get something nice. (Good: cheap, huge, 13' RL hex pattern. Bad: fairly bulky and heavy. Durability: unknown. More to come)
    Seems Quite Nice and Comfortable to me
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Had an idea a while back for improving the stability of a tandem hang using the DutchWare spreader bar and Beetle Buckles / Double Whoopie hooks. I added a secondary set of lines attached low on the tree to keep the bar ends from rising up and blowing through the tarp. It also made it MUCH more stable for the first person in / last person out.

Seems pretty simple but it works great so far - I saw a little bit of sideways motion but way less than before.

I'll do some more testing to see if it matters, but FWIW the normal suspension is coming off either side of the tree (not both from the same side), with the suspension for the hammock on the same side of the tree as the hammock. For the secondary suspension from below I reversed this - they actually cross over each other, my though was that this would keep it from slipping up as I left a little slack in the "lower" suspension.

Here's some pictures :
    Attachment 164221

Attachment 164222

Attachment 164223
    Great Idea quite Impressive
    Thanks James
    Very Helpful
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. - Frank Lloyd Wright

My wife and I spent all last year testing our “double” hammock. We call it the Gemini. There is a carbon Fiber spreader bar at the head end. Similar to other designs mentioned already. It’s been awesome sharing the same space. When hanging with my wife I wouldn’t go back to separate hammocks.

https://hofmanoutdoorgearsupply.ca/h...n-hammock.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow here is one I'm looking for Seems quite awesome hammock.
    I think I should go with this one

I'm a tent guy myself for several different reasons. A place to keep your stuff if its raining, no need to find properly spaced trees, its a good gathering place for you and someone else in the rain, and tents these days are nearly as light as hammocks. That being said, hammocks are very comfortable and can be warm. The hennessey hamock systems offer several different options for warmth.

Like Grouseman, I have an Arcteryx Bora and love it. They are pricey, but they can be carried through a light rain without wetting the interior area and will likely last a lifetime. I'm about to upgrade to a new Arcteryx pack called they Altra, only because I need something a little bigger to carry gear for 3 people. The Osprey packs are known for their fit, but they aren't for everyone. Don't buy a pack online, go to a store, have them add weight to it, and try it on. Also, certain big box retailers most likely won't have an employee on the staff who knows how to properly fit a pack.

I don't know anything about snugpak. I tried looking at their website, but had trouble navigating through it. They seem to be centered around European shoppers.....I don't do well with the metric system.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Had an idea a while back for improving the stability of a tandem hang using the DutchWare spreader bar and Beetle Buckles / Double Whoopie hooks. I added a secondary set of lines attached low on the tree to keep the bar ends from rising up and blowing through the tarp. It also made it MUCH more stable for the first person in / last person out.

Seems pretty simple but it works great so far - I saw a little bit of sideways motion but way less than before.

I'll do some more testing to see if it matters, but FWIW the normal suspension is coming off either side of the tree (not both from the same side), with the suspension for the hammock on the same side of the tree as the hammock. For the secondary suspension from below I reversed this - they actually cross over each other, my though was that this would keep it from slipping up as I left a little slack in the "lower" suspension.

Here's some pictures :
    Attachment 164221

Attachment 164222

Attachment 164223
    Sorry I had to bump this. Took me over an hr to find this setup and did not want to loose it again.

alt.thomas#bump

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/Hemlock Mtn
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UP by Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'd love to try stabilizing the spreader bar like James Fowler posted. I have Beetle Buckles/straps for the hammocks. And I have an extra pair of Beetle Buckles/straps. I tried private messaging him but he's not accepting any more private messages. Can anyone tell from his pictures what exactly he used to stabilize the bar? With the current pandemic lockdown, I'm not sure which vendors I can get tree straps or huggers or Amsteel from. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Vivian

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast