DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I prefer to camp in temps above 30. Any colder than that is not fun anymore in my opinion. I live in the Mid Atlantic states, so I am mostly a 3 season camper, although lately, it has been warm enough to camp all year long. Fave times to camp are in the spring and fall when bugs are not so bad, and temps are ideal for comfort.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here's a link to a video on my YouTube channel : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FiVwwoItLI , in which I show and go over various insulation options and price ranges. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money ( but often does) and you can sometimes use materials you might already have. For super inexpensive bottom insulation, a cheap closed cell foam pad , exercise mat or reflectix / car window shade works great and costs little to nothing at all if you already have one laying around.

For inexpensive top insulation, surplus cold weather military sleeping bags or stacking 2 higher temp rated bags together that you might already have works well also.

In the next price range. their companies such as Arrowhead Equipment, Snugpak, DD, OneTigris, Chill Gorilla and others that offer "budget" synthetic quilts which take most people comfortably to 0°c or below. These quilts are heavier and bulkier than comparable down quilts, but work just as well and hold up better in wet conditions and environments.

Moving up, there are several reputable and amazing cottage manufacturers that offer economy/entry level down quilt lines at a fraction of the cost of their premium quilts. These companies include but aren't limited to : Hammock Gear, Underground Quilts, Loco Libre Gear and Wilderness Logics to name a few. These quilts often use duck instead of goose down and are made using slightly heavier fabrics, but will keep the user just as warm as a similarly rated premium quilt.

After this, you move up to the cottage vendors regular/premium lines of quilts , and then into fully custom designed or one- off quilts such as this : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpSycJrpR8 , my custom length Hammock Gear -10° Burrow top quilt and Incubator underquilt. These quilts do cost more than a 0° quilt set from HG but use more down and have taller internal baffles , which essentially allows them to be able to trap more body heat and keep the user warm at temps well below 0°F.

So there are many different types and price ranges of insulation. Choosing what's best for you is important and should be based on : type of hammocking you do, lowest temp you could possibly see, your budget, are you a warm or cold sleeper, where you will be using the quilts etc.etc.... There are MANY very smart and experienced people here on HF that can answer just about any question you might have, so don't be afraid to ask!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I think the most important tips are:
    Be vigilant about keeping your pajamas DRY.
    Pick a good campsite. Namely one sheltered from the wind. Your tarp is good for blocking wind too. Try to face it perpendicular to the wind.
    Use an underquilt.
    Eat a big dinner. The digestion process will actually warm you up for a portion of the night.
    Great Tips I always keep my pajamas Dry...
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    • Good base layer
    • Good top and bottom quilts
    • Protect your set up from wind via tarp coverage and/or natural shelter
    • Eat something just before going to sleep
    • Do something strenuous just before getting in your hammock such as jumping jacks or running on the spot to get your body temperature up
    • Put a hot water bottle like a Nalgene bottle in your hammock before you go to bed to warm up your quilts a little and use the bottle when you're in your hammock to warm spots on your body like your feet or between your legs

The lowest I've ever slept in was -23*F and these tips work for me. I'm no expert but in my experience when it's really cold you are always going to have to contend with being a little cold whether it's your feet, hands, face etc or maybe you don't set up quite right and have to readjust your set up. There are just some aspect of being cold you're going to have to deal with if you want to camp in winter.
    Great Tips and Wow you have Slept in -23*F seriously amazing I never been through that type of cold weather
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbelly View Post
    Great Tips I always keep my pajamas Dry...
    This also gives you the comfort of hiking in your PJ’s on the last day and/or driving home in your “clean” PJ’s.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    This also gives you the comfort of hiking in your PJ’s on the last day and/or driving home in your “clean” PJ’s.
    With my definition of PJs, I'd probably get slapped with an indecent exposure fine when filling up at the gas station! Or just look completely stupid at the very least.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12