Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Looks like OlTrailDog did a better job hanging his than I did. I will say that the spectra suspension was more difficult to deal with and prone to wear if hanging taut in my experience, so swapping it out for something with straps/buckles would be easier to deal with at those angles.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Another thought. If you think about the hang angle differences between a GE and 90 they are substantially different. If you cinch up a GE you are affecting the way the body of the hammock lays, i.e. the tighter, or shallower the angle means the flatter the lay because it stretches the hammock tighter. Whereas with a 90* hammock you could cinch the suspension completely flat, i.e. a 0* angle, that is if the tree straps and SRL were sufficiently strong, and it would not effect the hammock lay because that is determined by the suspension system suspended from the endpoints of the SRL.

This is also what makes a 90* substantially different from a bridge hammock, e.g. a WBRR. With a bridge hammock the body of the hammock is compressed inward between the spreader bars, i.e. the long axis, resulting in the proverbial bridge hammock squeeze. Whereas with a 90* hammock the suspension stress is constant along the long axis of the hammock. This is also the reason the 90* is the most comfortable side laying hammock. That is also why the WBRR was the first hammock I purchased, but also the first hammock I sold.

Does the hammocktent 90* have it's limitations? Certainly. Can some of these limitations able to be addressed such that it becomes one of the most, if not the most, comfortable hammock availablle? I think so, but then again, I have also modified the 90* to address some of the inherent limitations. In all honesty, there are inherent limitations to a 90*, just as with a bridge and GE and each has it's adherents and that is why there isn't only one hammock type. That is why I have come up with a new hammock design and one of these days will be in production and not just solely for my personal use (it currently is at a vendor for evaluation).

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    As a fan of Luke's 90degree, I'd love to see what you have up your sleeve oltraildog...

I agree with most of what has been said here. Team FTB, I think your issues with straps and tree height will be eliminated. Like I said on ADV, its the comfort that makes up for it, and oltraildog explained most of its limitations really well. I have fsupaintball's old ver 1 gamma UL and a ver 2.0. It's the 2.0 in the latest thread on ADV. For me, the biggest difference between the two is ver 2 is slightly longer, and is better around the knees. There is some serious hyper extension in the first version, but nothing that can't be resolved. I put a jacket in the pad pocket right around where my knees are and that solves the issue.

Oltraildog. Sign me up. I'd LOVE to see what you have going on. If you haven't approached Jared at Simply Light Designs, he might be one to consider..

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    Also a 90* hanger via Luke's designs and a fan of Jar d at SLD. I really like my new 2.0 and I'd find it hard to improve. I did feel limited on what tarps work well with 90* hammocks. I still have my 90 winter haven, thanks to Jimswms and I have one cuben fiber (Zpacks) Hammocktent tarp. But I found it difficult to buy two more at $400 each and my family doesn't winter camp, so I wasn't interested in more 90* winter havens. My solution was to work with Jared at SLD on design and he made me two custom 90* 3-season tarps. I'm very happy with all my 90* gear. I just need to get outside more and use it. That being said, I'm still curious enough to see what Oltraildog has been up to and what design changes he has made. His old post about changing individual string lengths for more comfort and what I saw on the Ergo with the head end adjustable lines definitely makes me curious...hmm..
    Keep us posted Oltraildog

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    A twelve foot ridgeline with six foot height from this past weekend:

BitterrootLongBridgeLostHorseCr05152018_9.jpg
    Set one end and used a simple pulley to stretch the ridge line taut and finished with a slippery girth hitch. A WB pentagonal rings or DH cinch buckle or similar mechanical system could have accomplished the same.
    BitterrootLongBridgeLostHorseCr05152018_14.jpg

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkayaker View Post
    Also a 90* hanger via Luke's designs and a fan of Jar d at SLD. I really like my new 2.0 and I'd find it hard to improve. I did feel limited on what tarps work well with 90* hammocks. I still have my 90 winter haven, thanks to Jimswms and I have one cuben fiber (Zpacks) Hammocktent tarp. But I found it difficult to buy two more at $400 each and my family doesn't winter camp, so I wasn't interested in more 90* winter havens. My solution was to work with Jared at SLD on design and he made me two custom 90* 3-season tarps. I'm very happy with all my 90* gear. I just need to get outside more and use it. That being said, I'm still curious enough to see what Oltraildog has been up to and what design changes he has made. His old post about changing individual string lengths for more comfort and what I saw on the Ergo with the head end adjustable lines definitely makes me curious...hmm..
    Keep us posted Oltraildog

Another fan of the 90* hammocks here. Dhkayaker, I am curious what configuration you had SLD design for your 3 season tarps. I have been using Warbonnet's GT tarp with much success, but there are times that I wish it were a foot or two wider.

Oltraildog, I agree with you assessment about the angle of hang not being as critical with the Hammocktent - not affecting the comfort of the hang. The drawback being (at a lesser angle) the stress it places on the straps, hardware and the ridgeline. I too, look forward to seeing your new concepts. It would be great if these could be made in the US.

kg

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    image.pngimage.jpgHello kghiker, with some dimensions from all 90* hammock tarps I could find online and my SLD 90 winter haven and Exped Ergo tarp, I came up with a shape w/doors requiring 6 stakes and with Jared's help refining it. He put line locs on all tieouts and snaps on the doors, it weighs 18.25oz in stuff sack w/o any line attached.

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    Kghiker, forgot I also had two tieouts added in the middle of tarp to create more space at foot/head ends or add a trekking pole mod over the ridgeline. Cat cuts along head/foot edges also. Jared doesn't advertise the tarp, but I don't care if anyone uses the design. First setup had some slack in video and after tying the foot end tieout to a trekking pole to increase area under the tarp, it lost some of that slack.

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    Dhkayaker, I appreciate the info. That is almost exactly the configuration that I had in mind. Do you feel that the 8' ridgeline is sufficient? I was considering 9'. It looks like I may need to give Jared a call.

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    Kghiker, the 8' ridgeline is 1' longer than the hammocktent-zpacks tarp and 1/2 foot wider at 12' and coverage is sufficient. Only tree straps are exposed. In fully closed setup, it is tight entering the hammock at the foot end, but most all 90* tarps have that issue when fully battened down. I like porch mode best or no tarp during dry nights.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast