Hammock
    GE 11' Wide
    Tarp
    LSoH BAT Tarp
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    1. Now, is paddling on lakes not boring in the long run?
    - Could be? I enjoy a calm day with my favorite paddle .. you can really cover a lot of distance on lake!
    - Be careful not to underestimate the size of some lakes and the skill required to pass them when there is weather.
    You should probably watch these guys to get a perspective (Warning: they have been doing Algonquin all their lives)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSVM6R2vcY
    2. Whereas going downstream on a river is not wearying and always brings new views and surprises?
    - There will be a lot of beaver dams on rivers! I like both since I've had more than my fill of vanishing rivers (I am bias).
    3. D. Conover in his book "Beyond the paddle", writes about going from watershed to watershed occasionally poling and lining (to go upstream).
    - Yes, there are many opportunities to do this. The French River has a few places where this would be required.

The Boundary Waters is also another great place that PatapscoMike mentioned.

Here is a picture near the Western Highlands Trail in Algonquin Park (of a moose dropping by .. he swam over)
    IMG_2357.jpg

Hope that helps,
    Steve

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Thanks a lot, guys, all this sounds really awesome. I will study carefully the places you mentioned and try to find some affordable canoe rental, some good maps, and do the trip. Maybe I will come back here for more advice once I will have narrowed my research.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    If you do end up in the algonquin/boundary waters area, if you listen very carefully at night you can sometimes here the call of the wild shug "whooo buddy" drifting across the water

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegz View Post
    But Jeff has moved on to unlostify (www.unlostify.com) so I would get my maps from there when they become available.
    That's Great! I will be getting my maps from unlostify from now on.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

How long are you planning for your trip? You need to consider how you get to the area you intend to paddle when selecting a route. If you have money you can take local flights but otherwise you may be renting a car or possibly using a train. Both these are considerably slower and can eat into your trip time if you have to travel for two to three days t either end of your trip. This is from experience as we used to fly to Canada from the UK each year for trips. One year we flew over twice.

Consider Winnipeg as a flight destination. Westjet fly here from London direct. You can be in wilderness within three hours of leaving the city. There are several river routes with rapids that can be run or portage. Alternatively look at Whitehorse and the rivers of the Yukon but you will need to be comfortable camping with grizzled up there.

BTW in Europe elk are the same as moose in north America I seem to recall from our paddling trips to Sweden.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12