DH Raven
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 30
    Suspension
    Stock/TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Excellent choice with the Raven! You'll love it. And unlike many of us here (myself included), it looks like you "got it right" the first time with your gear purchases!

Thank you, but curious. What makes this an "excellent first choice?" That would be a first ever in my life! Secondly, do you know how difficult it was to actually click the purchase button? Had second thoughts for days afterward!!!

Hammock
    DangerBird #4284
    Tarp
    CG Hex | HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Strap
    Welcome to the trees. You will appreciate not sleeping on the ground like a wild animal. Might need to find a cheap hammock to satisfy that hanging itch before the DH shows up.

Paddling and hanging is my go-to. The epitome of relaxation and adventure. Did an aggressive upstream paddle this weekend and seriously underestimated how out of shape winter made me. But, it was off-road travel in the Jeep that ultimately got me out of a tent and into a hammock. Finding a rock free place to pitch a tent in my backcountry travels through Colorado proved to be quite difficult and the hammock was a game changer.
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself -Amelia Earhart

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by WGoff View Post
    Thank you, but curious. What makes this an "excellent first choice?" That would be a first ever in my life! Secondly, do you know how difficult it was to actually click the purchase button? Had second thoughts for days afterward!!!
    The Raven is very comfortable and expertly-crafted. In my humble opinion, I believe it is the best value in hammocks- given its price-point and versatility. To get an 11' custom cottage hammock with dual separating zippers on both sides, a bug net that is both stowable and completely removable, with no dedicated lay for $115 is remarkable.

For a first-timer, purchasing a symmetrical hammock- like the Raven, is a wise choice, given that you don't know yet if you prefer to lay head left or head right.

Be sure to post some pics when it arrives!
    Last edited by rweb82; 04-30-2018 at 12:19.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 30
    Suspension
    Stock/TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
    Welcome to the trees. You will appreciate not sleeping on the ground like a wild animal. Might need to find a cheap hammock to satisfy that hanging itch before the DH shows up.

Paddling and hanging is my go-to. The epitome of relaxation and adventure. Did an aggressive upstream paddle this weekend and seriously underestimated how out of shape winter made me. But, it was off-road travel in the Jeep that ultimately got me out of a tent and into a hammock. Finding a rock free place to pitch a tent in my backcountry travels through Colorado proved to be quite difficult and the hammock was a game changer.
    I was thinking about getting one of those AHE Kickback Hammock Chairs to play with and double as a gear hanger later. The winter out of shape is worrisome on this end. It's been endless storms here this winter on Cape Cod (my third winter back after 40+ years in Florida). Sold my '97 TJ Sport and 14' Kestral SOT there before I came back. "Foolish move Mr Bond" on my part with the Jeep...could have tripled what I got for it up here and the Current Design would have been fine up here as well. I really like tents...until I have to actually use them. Have never liked sleeping on the ground. Figure a hammock is just a waterbed redefined and considerably lighter!!

Is there much kayaking near you in Kansas? Or is that just the rouse to put the Jeep on the (off) road?!! Bought the TJ new and had it for nearly 20-years. Unfortunately, by the end it had become a love/hate relationship with it. Had a small two-inch lift and 32" BFGs on it. Used a light bar and a receiver-hitch goal post setup for the yak. It was a loooooooong way up to the top!

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 30
    Suspension
    Stock/TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    The Raven is very comfortable and expertly-crafted. In my humble opinion, I believe it is the best value in hammocks- given its price-point and versatility. To get an 11' custom cottage hammock with dual separating zippers on both sides, a bug net that is both stowable and completely removable, with no dedicated lay for $115 is remarkable.

For a first-timer, purchasing a symmetrical hammock- like the Raven, is a wise choice, given that you don't know yet if you prefer to lay head left or head right.

Be sure to post some pics when it arrives!
    It was the symmetrical aspect that made me purchase it, specifically since I don't know what my sleeping preferences will be and being as such, would make it easier to not be sorry after the fact! And even I should not be able to screw up suspending it correctly!! Been champing at the bit for it to arrive but winter is refusing to go away here. Plus, all the nasty storms have made firewood out of a lot of the trees (and a few homes) around me. Have a feeling, when all is said and done, beds will need to be replaced.... Will post pics!

Hammock
    DangerBird #4284
    Tarp
    CG Hex | HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by WGoff View Post
    Is there much kayaking near you in Kansas? Or is that just the rouse to put the Jeep on the (off) road?!! Bought the TJ new and had it for nearly 20-years. Unfortunately, by the end it had become a love/hate relationship with it. Had a small two-inch lift and 32" BFGs on it. Used a light bar and a receiver-hitch goal post setup for the yak. It was a loooooooong way up to the top!
    We have about 350 navigable (public) river miles through Kansas and many State Fishing Lakes to paddle on. It's not nearly as impressive as the waters east coast folks have, but it's plenty to keep us busy. Of course there are probably +1,000 river miles of waterways in Kansas that are classified as private that would make great paddling. I picked up my TJ Rubi in December of '03. I'm getting close to 20 years with it Since then I've added a Comanche and Land Cruiser to the fleet. The TJ or Cruiser generally take me to Colorado for backcountry exploration and hanging, while the Comanche tackles yak duties around Kansas.
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself -Amelia Earhart

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 30
    Suspension
    Stock/TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
    We have about 350 navigable (public) river miles through Kansas and many State Fishing Lakes to paddle on. It's not nearly as impressive as the waters east coast folks have, but it's plenty to keep us busy. Of course there are probably +1,000 river miles of waterways in Kansas that are classified as private that would make great paddling. I picked up my TJ Rubi in December of '03. I'm getting close to 20 years with it Since then I've added a Comanche and Land Cruiser to the fleet. The TJ or Cruiser generally take me to Colorado for backcountry exploration and hanging, while the Comanche tackles yak duties around Kansas.
    Love your stable!! Have a ton of respect for Cruisers, though I've never been off-road in one. Do miss off-roading, but got bored of sand, mud and water in Florida, learned four wheeling by rock crawling. Water is fun but the Florida silt can reek havoc with suspension parts. It was also fun to fling mud, though, cleanup was not! (Baked on by the time you got home!) Have a little "hot hatch" now. Can toss the yak on it easily, it's fast and fun to drive, but will always love ORVs and backcountry adventures. I really didn't think there would be much kayaking up here when first I returned. Was dumb-founded by all the yaks and Jeeps floating about when I first got back. Was 18 (driving a Triumph Spitfire that never even made it to Rhode Island) when I left so what would I know anyway?!! Now I just want to escape winter, paddle and hang. Paddling has always taken me to a good place and have a feeling hanging will as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12