WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Started with and ENO DN. I never really camped in it but it lit a fire under me for hammocks. My first real camping hammock was a WB XLC and I was hooked. I had bought an expensive backpacking tent the year before I got my XLC and I am going on 4 yrs since I have even set that tent up. The XLC is dead simple, robust and the shelf is MONEY.

I now have a Dutch Chameleon and its a sweet system. I have all the bells and whistles..2x peak lofts, storage pocket, sidecar...and love how it all works together. I have had 2 zipper heads/pulls break on me (Dutch's customer service is second to NONE..he always takes great care of me) and that is a pretty big concern moving forward as far as durability goes. It has a VERY "sticky" zipper and weak/thin zipper heads/pulls. Once could have been my fault, two times is a problem. I'm sure its only a matter of time before it happens again.

I am considering getting a XLC 2.0 or DH Sparrow in the future. I really like the updates to the XLC and the only thing its missing in my eye is quilt hooks ala the Chameleon. My quilt stays put incredibly well on my chameleon.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit/EnoS7
    Tarp
    HG CF w doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ / EE UQ
    Suspension
    Spider w Becket
    My first was a gathered end hammock from Amazon. But, what I consider as my true first start into hammocks was when I got an ENO DN. Now I am mainly using a Dutch Half-wit or 11' Netless depending on conditions.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    First was a diy wool blanket hammock a la Dave Canterbury, lol. Then to a Wal-Mart Equip single, then double, then mosquito net. After that, I got my first "real" hammock , a HH Expedition classic. From there I moved up to my XLC and my first 11' sewn diy hammock that I made from Argon 1.6 . I sleep in the Argon hammock full time and loath that 3 letter B word that takes up so much space in our master bedroom lol. If my wife didn't HAVE TO HAVE A BED to sleep in( I know right? What's her problem?) I'd get rid of that rock hard thing that costs too much money and isnt comfortable AT ALL. But happy wife = happy life right? So there it sits, taking up room that I could use for a bridge hammock instead of a GE. Oh well, at least I have plenty of room to hang the argon right?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DangerBird #4284
    Tarp
    CG Hex | HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Strap
    My first hammock was an ENO Singlenest, a freebie from a gear store a family member works at. In addition to getting the hammock, I purchased a bugnet, pillow, suspension straps, tarp and insulation from ENO. I camped in it for 3 years before upgrading and had many good nights sleep. My wife's interest in hammock camping peaked this year and she has now used my old ENO set up a few times. She hasn't requested another hammock yet, but she just graduated from the ground and also hasn't slept in my new DH Dangerbird... Now I use the Dangerbird with Hammock Gear quilts, Dutch suspension and a big cheap tarp. I really like my new setup, primarily because the hammock has an integrated bug net/cover and is far easier to stretch out in than the ENO was.

I have the Chameleon in my sights simply because I'd like to try one... and I know my wife will soon figure out that ENO isn't the best of hammock camping and will want something new but wont have the patience for a DH build.
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself -Amelia Earhart

Warbonnet blackbird, it's my first and current hammock but definitely not my last.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Started with a couple cheaply made eBay specials. I thought they were great till I came here and built my first diy. It was way better. I have tried a couple now and just got my new Warbonnet Blackbird XLC in a double layer heavy. Who is it amazing. Can’t imagine one could do much better.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl, first and current. I went with my motto of buy once cry once so I wouldn't have to upgrade.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    my first hammock was a double layer WBBB. I have had several since then but I learned I like the 11 ft double layer hammocks the best. My two favorites are the SLD Stream Liner and if it's buggy or cold the new version on the WBBB XLC light weight DL.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    My first hammock was a Hennessey Expedition (before they even made an asymmetric model!). Enjoyed it a lot, then my dog chewed a couple of HUGE hole in the bottom. I repaired them, which promptly failed on a trip with my brother, and I had to crawl in to his little pup tent with him. I then bought a copy of Ed Speer's book (autographed copy, and I still have it) and made a Speer hammock. Then several other DIY hammocks, one with a velcroed integrated bugnet. Eventually did a sturdy repair on my Hennessey that is probably never going to fail..I still have that one! Eventually decided to go to an 11footer and bought a Chameleon, which is my current go-to hammock. It's been a fun ride!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I started with an elcheapo special from wish. It was too small, and felt too closed in. That was last year.

This year over the winter I started looking at cheaper but better made options. I came across bear butt. I know a lot of the more seasoned hanger here will say it basically is equal to an eno but I think it it Is a better quality, it isn't so heavy and stiff and it is well made and seems to be quite sturdy.

Later down the road, I may just get something from Dutch but right now I think it suits my needs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast