Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbelly View Post
    You are yet stucked with WBBB or moved to any else?
    I am just starting to enjoy my DIY and I will probably use it through most of the summer but back to my WBBB come winter because I love my Wooki 0 degree UQ

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl B. Andersen View Post
    I started with a Clark NX-150 and HG underquilt.
    I am currently upgrading to the NX-270.
    I can not commend Clark highly enough for a top quality hammock.
    After doing a lot of research, and going against the many folks advising to "buy a cheap hammock to see if you like it", I opted for the Clark NX-250 as my first hammock. That was six or seven years ago; I still use it and love it. Seems like the Clark hammocks are always at the bottom of the list, and the main reason for all the dislike is the price. As I read all these posts, I start mentally adding up all the cost of getting from their first hammock set up, to the set up they use now, and the cost of the Clark pales in comparison. Of course a person has to attribute some of the cost to our irresistible desire to "get more hammock gear"! Kidding aside, I have had the opportunity to try many types of hammocks by various makers, and I still wouldn't trade my old Clark for anything but one of the new Clark NX-270's with their pockets that are accessible from the inside. The Clark's have an integrated bug screen and a weather shield which allows me to use the bug screen alone, or if it gets cold, to add the weather shield to add a very significant amount of warmth and protection, or to tuck either or both of them away if I should ever find a camp that was both warm and bug free. I fully understand that the initial cost outlay looks a little steep, however, you are then completely outfitted with a system of the very highest quality. I also purchased Clark's large tarp, which is light and more than adequate for anything less than full blown winter camping. For that I have the War Bonnet Superfly, which is perfect for the raspy winter weather and cold in the wintertime Colorado mountains. I also use several different down top quilts and under quilts, which most folks end up with regardless which hammock they use.

There are a lot of new high quality hammock and gear manufacturers, but I sincerely agree with the above quote, that it will be very hard to find a better high value, super quality system anywhere. That works for me, and my only wish is to remind folks of the wonderful Clark Hammocks. This works for me, but always remember: "Hang Your Own Hammock"
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Ugh current hammock....a 3 buck buy from a discount store

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    We bought Dutch netless with knotty mods and thats all we've used for 3 seasons now, haven't wanted anything else. We use fronky bugnets.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    Started with a Byer of Main Moskito Kakoon Hammock with Atlas Straps. My 4 year old inherited it from me a couple of years ago when I decided to try my hand at a DIY 1.6 Hexon, Coyote Brown, 10.5' hammock with knotty mods and Fronky 2 bugnet (Fronky bugnet with a velcro opening on one end to allow me to slide the bugnet off to one end.) I use Dutch's Spider/poly straps with Beetle Buckles.
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    After doing a lot of research, and going against the many folks advising to "buy a cheap hammock to see if you like it", I opted for the Clark NX-250 as my first hammock. That was six or seven years ago; I still use it and love it. Seems like the Clark hammocks are always at the bottom of the list, and the main reason for all the dislike is the price.
    After a 22 year hiatus from backpacking and mountaineering, then a hip replacement, I wanted to start backpacking into high lakes and streams to fly fish, but I didn't want to sleep on the ground anymore. I had literally staked my life on my equipment for 20 years, so money spent for quality, durability, and usability is not really a negative to me. When I researched hammocks in 2012, most of the negative comments I noticed about Clark hammocks were about weight. However I found if bug nets and top covers are added to popular gathered end hammocks, the weight gets comparable to a Clark. As it turns out nearly all of the trips I've taken have been above 4500 feet, with one or more chilly days spent in the clouds. The resulting wind, sideways blowing mist and rain makes that integrated weathershield worth its weight in gold. In fact, even though I have the larger Vertex tarp, I bought a UGQ silpoly WD12 for even greater weather protection. I am an either side to partial stomach sleeper and I think the straighter symmetrical lay gives me a very comfortable night's sleep. Plus the Clark bottom storage pockets can only be fully appreciated on chilly mornings when putting on clothes that were kept toasty warm by sleeping over (not on) them in the pockets (so not making it a lumpy bed) but within the underquilt. I have occasional pangs about reducing weight, but with the minimum options I'd want like a bug net, and storage that wouldn't come close to what the Clark comes with, I'd be spending $170 or more to save 18 ounces for a hammock that wouldn't work as well as the Clark for most of the trips I do.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 05-29-2018 at 12:36.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•. Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•. Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•. Έ

I just ordered the Blackbird xlc light weight double, mamba 3 season top quilt, wooki 3 season, and a superfly tarp...I can't wait to hang it up. I'm leaving next May to Nobo the AT. I appreciate all the input you folks gave me to make what I hope is a good decision.

Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks
    My first hammock was a blackbird and I still have it. I currently spend most of my nights camping in my Dream hammock and just ordered another one from the smurfs. I have 4 kids and often take people on there first backpacking trip and like to have stuff to let them use.
    We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Started out with an eno doublenest but now my daily bed replacement , day hiker / camp hammock is a Simply Light Designs Streamliner
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

My first and current hammock after 5 years is a Hennessy Backpacker Ultralight. I use it primarily for dual sport motorcycle camping. I also have a cheap GE hammock that I set up for the grandkids when MH camping.
    Tim Bowman
    Burien, WA
    Hennessy Ultra-lite
    '08 WR250R PHTV (Primary Hammock Transporter Vehicle)

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast