WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I was lucky enough to stumble over Hammock Forums right away, when doing research on which hammock to buy. And I was smart enough to listen to the experienced folks on HF when they recommended that I pick a WB Blackbird instead of the HH Deep Jungle I had planned to order. So my first hammock was a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer. I figured out quickly, though, that a 1.7 DL was total overkill for my 130something lbs, so I ordered a Blackbird 1.0 DL.

Over the years I have ordered and later built a lot of different hammocks, but my go-to hiking hammock is still a Blackbird. Since I'm a Wooki-user now, and I figured out that the 1.7 SL still doesn't have so much stretch as to cause me backpain, my current go-to hiking hammock is a Blackbird 1.7 SL. The 1.7 DL is still my favorite car-camping hammock, though, because it's a tad more comfortable to me.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    I started with a Grand Truk double for my first couple of trips playing with different types of suspension systems. Then fall came an the double wasn't fun with the bugs so I looked for a hammock with an integrated bug net that wouldn't break the bank. I chose the skeeter beater pro from grand truk. After using this hammock on a couple of trips I was annoyed with the setup time of the bugnet. I started some Google searches on how to create a ridgeline for the hammock to speed up setup time and allow a better sleep with the net out of the way.

I currently use a Dutch chameleon and thoroughly enjoy this hammock.
    Last edited by greyhound352; 04-28-2018 at 14:29.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I started with an ENO Singlenest. It was better than sleeping on the ground but difficult to find the sweet spot due its shortness. My current hammocks for backpacking are a basic Dutchware Gear 11' gathered-end hammock (1.6 Argon) and a Hammeck Breezy (no longer in business) 11' gathered-end hammock (1.0 NylonD). The hammock I sleep in every night here at home is a Mackinac Bridge Hammock (1.6 Argon) made by forum member opie.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    WBBB XLC v2
    Tarp
    Dovrefjell+Draumr
    Insulation
    Yeti, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    My first is an Amok Draumr (first version) - I couldn't imagine sleeping not laying flat - and my current one (the second one) is a Blackbird XLC (updated version). I have them both, will continue to use both, but will probably favour the XLC more, especially in cold conditions.

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Like many, my gateway drug was the ENO DN. All that slick marketing was a siren’s song to my camping mind. I still have a complete ENO set up that I have kept.
    My ultimate go-to is my WB Ridge Runner but I have many others, Amok, Hennessy, Chameleon, GT, and just gave a young fellow a complete Yukon setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Quote Originally Posted by larsarus View Post
    My first is an Amok Draumr (first version) - I couldn't imagine sleeping not laying flat - and my current one (the second one) is a Blackbird XLC (updated version). I have them both, will continue to use both, but will probably favour the XLC more, especially in cold conditions.
    Funny you say that. If asked, my knock on the Amok is that it slept hot for me. Has to be 45* or lower for me. That is with my REI pad, downmat 9 would have to be in the 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    First hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip - not very comfortable but I didn't know any better. After a couple of years I moved to simple gathered-end hammocks like the Dutch Netless, with a Fronkey bugnet. No zippers! I really dislike zippers since they don't allow quick entry/exit.

I have a Dutch Chameleon now - zippers galore, but it keeps my beagle Joey inside the hammock. Otherwise I think he'd take off.
    How long you stucked with simple Gathered-End Hammock?
    You are right Zippers are quite annoying to me as will I love to get in quick when I'm tried and sometime to exit when annoyed

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Can you link that lazy S suspension? I have flirted with the idea of the hammock tent but have resisted so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Started with a 2 man tent, then 6 person tent, 8 person tent, sometimes with camp pad/thermarest, sometimes a cot. One day discovered ENO double nest at REI a few years back. Discovered this forum by accident, and fell into the deep end. Later traded in eno dblnest for a kammok roo, and returned the Roo after I bought my first "real" camping hammock, the DH Sparrow in double layer 2.2 ripstop. Love this hammock but needed something under 20 oz, so I ordered a DH Darien in SL 1.7 robic. Still waiting for that one to come in the mail. +1 on paintball's post above that the journey never really ends.
    Seems like you spent more times in Tents and in hammocks as well so basically which one would be your firest preference Hammock or Tent?

Quote Originally Posted by Urduja View Post
    My first was a gathered end hammock from Amazon. But, what I consider as my true first start into hammocks was when I got an ENO DN. Now I am mainly using a Dutch Half-wit or 11' Netless depending on conditions.
    I found most of people started their campign journey with gathered end hammock and many of them also started with ENO DN as you experience with both of them which one you would like to suggest between Gathered end and ENO DN to have as my first hammock?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast