Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My first serious camping hammock was the popular Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. It's still one of my favorite hammocks, with an intelligent design and quality and attention to detail that rivals that of any of the other fine cottage vendor options. Innovation in camping hammocks has been fast and furious over the last few years, but I still consider the Trail Lair one of the all-time greats, and I'll probably never get rid of mine (see first photo below and middle of second photo).

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/331

Like so many others, my current go-to hammock for just about everything is the modular Dutchware Chameleon (foreground above).

https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...cks/chameleon/
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Hennessy Explorer bottom entry was my first. No better bug protection than the bottom entry.

Been using a double layer SLD Streamliner, but recently got a custom COGS single layer, both netless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Started with a Hennessy but had the bug net separate from the body after only sleeping in it twice. So, I decided that the High Priced hammocks were not for me any longer and I found an Equip Mosquito hammock. Once I did some mods to it with the most important being a ridgeline, it is actually more comfortable and a whole lot roomier than my Hennessy ever was... Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    My first serious camping hammock was the popular Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. It's still one of my favorite hammocks, with an intelligent design and quality and attention to detail that rivals that of any of the other fine cottage vendor options. Innovation in camping hammocks has been fast and furious over the last few years, but I still consider the Trail Lair one of the all-time greats, and I'll probably never get rid of mine (see first photo below and middle of second photo).

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/331

Like so many others, my current go-to hammock for just about everything is the modular Dutchware Chameleon (foreground above).

https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...cks/chameleon/
    The Trail Lair was a serious contender for my first hammock, it looks like you can see pretty much all around you and it seems very comfortable too.... I ended up going w/the WBBB mainly for the shelf for a little storage and the track record of an established model, being a new hammocker it was a nerve wrecking process lol, I'm attempting my first thru hike in 5 days and it'll be the first time I've tried a hammock over an extended amount of time.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Amok Draumr was my first hammock. First gathered end was a DH Sparrow. Current one is a Chameleon.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9 or 12
    Insulation
    UGQ under quilt
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Started with a Hennessy Expedition...also owned some ENO Doublenests, have a Warbonnet Traveller, but am in a long-term committed relationship with Hennnessy Safaris. I have all 3...here's the Jungle Safari Zip that is not my pick (the Safari Zip is), but the one that gets the most use. Its a heavy setup, but I don't log a lot of trail miles. IMG_20170613_165857.jpg

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    First hammock was a Warbonnet Ridgerunner.

Discovered the Hammocktent Gamma UL ninety degree and it became my go to backpacking hammock. Modified it to create my lazy S suspension system.

Thought I should give the GE hammocks a try. Had a DH Raven that was a nice GE. Tried a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and like it a lot after I modified it by lengthening the structural ridge line (SRL). Sold the WB Ridgerunner because it was the least comfortable due to excessive shoulder squeeze. Sold the DH Raven to fund purchasing a DH Sparrow. Modified the Sparrow by lengthening the SRL and it is a comfortable hammock like the WBBB XLC.

Gave the Exped Ergo oblique lay a try for a couple of months. After tweaking the suspension into the lazy S it was comfortable. But too much fabric and fiddle finding the diagonal. Sold it on ebay.

Now I own four Hammocktents (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Gamma UL). All have been modified into the most comfortable and best backpacking hammocks I own. They have the flattest lay, most comfortable side sleeping, and no fiddle factor finding a diagonal. Climb in and go to sleep, no muss no fuss. All use an UQ instead of a pad, although a pad remains an option on all but the Alpha.

Since I hang full time I still enjoy rotating usage among the Hammocktents, the Sparrow, and the WBBB XLC. But when I hit the trail it will be a Hammocktent in my backpack.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 04-28-2018 at 08:34.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Back in the 70's, my brother & I were hanging with those nylon pocket hammocks you could roll up in a ball & stuff in your pack. We'd put clothes underneath our sleeping bags in the hammock since there was no such thing as an under quilt.

Back in the early 2000's, I ran across Hennessey Hammocks & bought an Expedition Classic (bottom entry) & it served me well up until I saw Dutch's Chameleon Kickstarter campaign & got in on that.
    Last edited by ObdewlaX; 04-28-2018 at 09:25.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    1. Walmart net type
    2. Eno
    3. Grand Trunk
    4. Grand Trunk again
    5. Dream Hammock used from here
    6. DIY
    7. XLC new
    8. DIY

I rotate around now, but likely will try some others. I find hammocks fun and a pretty affordable vice.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    ~

I purchased my 1st hammock about 17 months ago. I just hit 1 year of actually using a hammock. For me, it was buy and try. Number 10 was the one for me:

1. Fox Outfitters gathered end hammock: Amazon $25 hammock that was too short (9'6") and too narrow (4'6") for me.
    2. Mallo Me: For the money, $28, it was a very good GE hammock. 10' long and listed at 79" wide but take away the sewn on "flaps" and it was only about 60" wide. Not quite enough support for my size but I did successfully sleep in the hammock multiple times.
    3. SLD Trail Lair: 1st really nice GE hammock; 12' long, 60" wide. Still got it but I will most likely sell it as I prefer the netless hammocks.
    4. SLD Tree Runner: 12' long, 60" wide GE hammock w/o a built-in bug net. Will be selling this one as it was replaced with #10.
    5. Dream Hammock Darien: bought it used off eBay. It was listed as head right / feet left but it was the opposite. Sold this one as I have to have head right / feet left lay.
    6. Chameleon: tried a single layer normal width. I needed a DL for sure so I sold it.
    7. Chameleon: tried a single layer wide hammock but same as above - I needed a DL.
    8. Warbonnet BB XLC: DL version. Just felt too small for me.
    9. Amok Draumr 3.0: fantastic lay on back or side. Still have it but will most likely sell and stick with #10.
    10. SLD Tree Runner: 12' long, 70" wide DL Hex 1.6 netless GE hammock. FINALLY! The best lay I have had in a GE hammock. Zero calf ridge and zero pressure of my outer foot pressing up against my inner foot as it would happen with hammocks with built-in bug nets. It seems to come down to selecting the right combination of the fabric (dual layer, Hex 1.6) and getting it in the wide width that makes this particular hammock work so well for me.

If there is to be a #11 I will try an 11' long 70" wide SLD Tree Runner just to see if I can shave off a foot of hammock but still get the great lay.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast