Hey there,

Lurking a while now and am planning a UQ DIY project. I've never actually used an UQ before, been mostly "happy" on a closed cell mat in various asym Hennessy's for over 14 or 15 years now! I want to move to a quilt for the extra (promised) comfort and warmth, but also to avoid the bulk in my pack. I have no doubt that a year from now, I'll be cursing myself for not having taken this step earlier!! (Cost was always a bit of a barrier)

I should probably note that I'm a fetal-position sleeper, usually facing left, with my face toward the upper tie-out (and the zipped opening), and the back of my feet toward the lower one, so, fairly diagonal. I am a static sleeper, so assuming I'm comfortable, I would not turn during the night. The UQ is to be a "full" one.

I've got some ideas for this DIY project, and thought I'd run them by your good selves, as I haven't really found threads discussing similar ideas, and, as I said, I have 0 experience with UQ's.

3D Shaped/Sculpted UQ to precisely fit underside.

I was thinking of slinging up the hammock in the garage, and placing bags of sand in such a way as to resemble my lying figure. Then, I was planning on taking an old sheet, and attaching it to the hammock/bugnet seam using temporary clips, fitting it as well as possible and cutting off the excess. There should be saggy bits, which I intend to cut out (and stitch together), ultimately creating a 3D template, if you will, of my backside in the hammock.

Once this template is created, I am planning to cut off about 3 inches around the sides, and then use the template so created to make a differential cut quilt with down and baffled chambers. I would imagine the handiest way for me to run the chambers is "diagonal", as that will be the direction I would imagine would keep chamber length reasonably similar..

With me so far?

Zig-Zag all the way around Suspension

For suspension, I am planning to sew about 10 or so small clips directly onto the hammock at the seam between the bugnet and hammock, and also 3 or so from one side to the other underneath the hammock at foot- and 3 at head-end. (I only use the one hammock so don't mind permanently modding it)

The edge of the quilt will have grosgrain loops at spaced intervals with one piece on 3 mm shock cord running around the entire edge of the quilt through the loops. The grosgrain loops would be spaced in such a way that when the quilt is attached to the hammock, they would fall halfway between two hooks, in effect creating a zig-zag suspension the whole way around the four edges of the quilt. (or, considering the Hennessy Asym shape, perhaps I should say 6 edges?)

Now... I am conjecturing that 3D shaping my UQ + the zig-zag suspension ought to save unneeded cover/materials/weight and should be really good at preventing cold spots, as the quilt is evenly tugged against the hammock bottom at regular intervals from every edge. It should be easy to adjust, perhaps by having one cord lock near the zip, so it can be loosened or tightened from within.

What are your thoughts... Know anyone who's tried either of the two build ideas and had bad results?
I do realise that calculating how much down to use, etc, will become more difficult but I'm hoping it'll be worth it!

Thanks for your ideas!