Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Sure. There are many gathered end hammocks to choose from - I suggest posting your choice here before buying, because these guys have good advice. There are differences between different gathered end hammocks.
    I don't have any Idea about the varriety of Gathered End Hammocks as I'm new in this filed so I don't have enough knowledge for now I'm in learning stage yet, As lots of members suggested me to go with gathered end that's why I decided to get one but I didn't have any clue that GE Hammocks do even have any varriety.
    Btw please suggest me the best one?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Now that you have chosen a gather end style, you should decide on features. Don't go over board with them, but make sure you get some type of bug netting along with a ridgeline to keep the net off your face. Right now I am using a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC (Old Design) double layer and have a net and a winter sock that my girlfriend made for me. It just wraps around the gathered ends. She also made under quilt protector as well. Good luck to you.
    Blackheart

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Totally depends what you're looking for! I suggest something 11' long, 58-65" wide, with "continuous loops" on the end, and a "continuous ridgeline". Past that it's preference... netting if you need to keep bugs out, a "wider" hammock if you're a really big dude, heavier or lighter fabric depending if you favor lightweight or extra strong hammocks. Double layer is good if you want to slide a pad in.

For your first hammock, there are a lot of good stores to choose from, but Warbonnet or Dutchware is the easiest way to go for a first timer. Their websites are easy to use and don't have too many options to confuse you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Which Hammock Type is more Comfortable?

What is your height and weight and where will you be using it? If you will initially be testing them for comfort in your house or backyard, you can wait on the bug net simply because they cost more and you should first decide on length, width, and fabric. These variables in particular are harder to predict which is best for you. It would be wise to get some hands on them to compare and contrast. Then you can pick your fancy hammock out that has just the right features and colors.

All you want to be sure of at this point, is that it has a ridgeline on the hammock because it actually helps you hang it properly. It’s not JUST for hanging stuff off of and holding the net up in the middle. Another point is do NOT get a cheapo that has seams in the body because it’s made of 2 or 3 pieces. If you aren’t too heavy, start with HyperD 1.6 or Hexon 1.6. The number simply represents the ounces per square yard. Higher numbers will be less stretchy and handle heavier folks. Some like it stretchy and some firm or in between. Some like 58” wide and some 70” or in between. Some like 11 feet long and some 10 feet or in between. Most like 1.6 or 1.7 fabrics and some a little above or below that. These are going to make a noticeable differences, but at the same time, you could probably be satisfied enough as long as you stay close to these parameters if you are easy to please.

This is just the first step, but no need to rush. you can take it one step at a time. I say worry about colors and nets and features later in order to save money because chances are you will not choose perfectly at first pick. If you insist on a net, start with an add on style that you can use with any hammock for the same reasons. You may even prefer that style net too.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Another route to take would be to decide on a particular hammock, or several hammocks, and wait for one to come along in the For Sale forum or on ebay. Most of my hammocks have either been second hand, cosmetically blemished hammocks, or for beta testing and modification. Some of the vendors have blemished hammocks or run sales periodically. I would be confident to say that most folks on this forum have tried a variety of hammocks before settling on what is best for them. This could save you quite a dollars over the long haul. Some folks simply enjoy trying out the merits of a variety of hammocks, keep what suits them, and pass the others along for others to enjoy.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    I on the other hand found my 90 degree Gamma to be too short, prone to leg hyperextension, and incapable of keeping me warm in 30 degree weather when using a properly fitted pad. And the tarp was difficult to pitch low enough to keep me sheltered from the wind. To each their own... I wanted it to work for me!
    paintball raises some excellent food for thought.

No matter what hammock you end up purchasing you just might discover that hammock hanging usually isn't without a bit of a learning curve. There are a number of nuances that come with hanging and it may take some trial and error, some research, and some tweaking to become proficient and comfortable. Most hammocks have their idiosyncrasies, e.g. GE hammocks are prone to calf ridge and knee hyper extension, bridge hammocks can have too much squeeze or the spreader bars poke the fly, ninety degree hammocks can be prone toward knee hyperextension and have height and weight limitations, some designs work well with underquilts and some are pad obligates, and so forth.

This forum is a veritable wealth of helpful advice on how to address the various challenges that you will most likely encounter. The key is persistence, not hesitating to ask for advice, and don't be shy about tweaking, modifying, or trying something new. This forum abounds with folks simply trying something new to address a problem or need. I have not had a hammock that I didn't modify, aka tweak, in order to achieve that personal sweet spot. I also don't have much tolerance for suffering with an uncomfortable hammock. Hyper knee extension became the mother of invention for a lazy S suspension in my hammocktents. Calf ridge and hyper knee extension begat finding the perfect ridge line length for my individual physiology and lay preference in the GEs I've owned. Wanting to use a down UQ versus a pad with a 90 degree hammock became another mother of invention. And so it goes.

And that doesn't even touch on learning how to properly deploy a fly, what type of tarp ridge line suits you, or how to accommodate a four footed friend, But the journey is at least half the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    What is your height and weight and where will you be using it? If you will initially be testing them for comfort in your house or backyard, you can wait on the bug net simply because they cost more and you should first decide on length, width, and fabric. These variables in particular are harder to predict which is best for you. It would be wise to get some hands on them to compare and contrast. Then you can pick your fancy hammock out that has just the right features and colors.

All you want to be sure of at this point, is that it has a ridgeline on the hammock because it actually helps you hang it properly. It’s not JUST for hanging stuff off of and holding the net up in the middle. Another point is do NOT get a cheapo that has seams in the body because it’s made of 2 or 3 pieces. If you aren’t too heavy, start with HyperD 1.6 or Hexon 1.6. The number simply represents the ounces per square yard. Higher numbers will be less stretchy and handle heavier folks. Some like it stretchy and some firm or in between. Some like 58” wide and some 70” or in between. Some like 11 feet long and some 10 feet or in between. Most like 1.6 or 1.7 fabrics and some a little above or below that. These are going to make a noticeable differences, but at the same time, you could probably be satisfied enough as long as you stay close to these parameters if you are easy to please.

This is just the first step, but no need to rush. you can take it one step at a time. I say worry about colors and nets and features later in order to save money because chances are you will not choose perfectly at first pick. If you insist on a net, start with an add on style that you can use with any hammock for the same reasons. You may even prefer that style net too.
    Thanks for You such a Great Responce
    Basically my height is 5.8 Ft and Weight is almost 154 Lbs yeah I will test hammock in my backyard before going to use it for camping but yet Net is mandatory for me we have lots of mosquite here thats why want to get net as well I just decided to go buy an externel Net that would be great so It could prevent me to pickup some extra load.
    I just research of the two models you suggested me above and I found Hexon 1.6 quite better then HyperD.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Another route to take would be to decide on a particular hammock, or several hammocks, and wait for one to come along in the For Sale forum or on ebay. Most of my hammocks have either been second hand, cosmetically blemished hammocks, or for beta testing and modification. Some of the vendors have blemished hammocks or run sales periodically. I would be confident to say that most folks on this forum have tried a variety of hammocks before settling on what is best for them. This could save you quite a dollars over the long haul. Some folks simply enjoy trying out the merits of a variety of hammocks, keep what suits them, and pass the others along for others to enjoy.
    Thats even a great Idea In the start I could go with Second hard hammocks and all that to get some experience later on I could go with some premium one as well
    You just gave me such a nice suggestion I will search on ebay right now.
    Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbelly View Post
    Thats even a great Idea In the start I could go with Second hard hammocks and all that to get some experience later on I could go with some premium one as well
    You just gave me such a nice suggestion I will search on ebay right now.
    Thanks
    I’ve never looked at ebay, but I highly recommend the HammockForums “Marketplace”. It’s a subforum here. The moderators do a stellar job of keeping it clean and easy to use. It’s also quite active, so I would bet that you could find something interesting to you within a week, maybe two if you keep an eye on it.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p/154-For-Sale

But be sure to read the rules before you buy though. They are strictly enforced.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rum-guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I’ve never looked at ebay, but I highly recommend the HammockForums “Marketplace”. It’s a subforum here. The moderators do a stellar job of keeping it clean and easy to use. It’s also quite active, so I would bet that you could find something interesting to you within a week, maybe two if you keep an eye on it.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p/154-For-Sale

But be sure to read the rules before you buy though. They are strictly enforced.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rum-guidelines
    Thats Great Thanks Buddy
    I will keep an eye on that sub-forums from now Hope I could find a great deal there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123