Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles

I sleep in my knickers. How much extra insulation?

Trying to go full time hammock sleeping indoors. Froze my butt off. I am using a new wbbb xlc and am looking at getting an under quilt to use permanently indoors. I have done a lot of looking around in the forum and have determined that the 40deg quilts are about standard for indoor and summer hanging. I have also noted that when people are giving their suggestions on what temp underquilt to use, they also have layers of clothes on. My question is this. If I was to sleep in my knickers, indoor or outdoor should I go say 20 deg lower than the rating on the quilts? Any advice is welcome. Current thoughts are buying a economy hg quilt for inside then a wookie for outdoor use with the quilt protector. Thanks and have a good day.
    Last edited by 11x; 04-24-2018 at 06:32.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Hmmm, sort of depends on your "knickers".

If you are sleeping in full on synthetic long john such as Under Armor with some socks on your feet, yeah you might get another 20 out of it. You notice I did not say cotton as it will soak up sweat, pretty much all of us sweat at some point during the night, and then it will make you cold.

If if you are sleeping tidy whities and a cotton tshirt, then I would say no it will not add 20 degrees. Please keep in mind that each of us are very different when it comes to cold.

Personally in my basement which stays about 70F year round I use a Poncho Liner UQ (PLUQ) with my down 40 TQ. I sleep just fine but I sleep pretty hot. You may not.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yes, only you can determine what temps and clothing are comfortable to you but many 3 season quilts are rated at 20°. The under quilt seems less important to get the exact temp rating but the top quilt is more important. I sleep comfortably in my Warbonnet Ridgerunner and the 20° Lynx under quilt in a wide range of temps (from ~30° to ~70's.

Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I sleep in boxer briefs only. Can’t sleep in a shirt or pants of any kind. Sounds crazy but I can’t get comfortable. Just afraid to buy a 40deg quilt then still be cold because those ratings are set with base layers on. Had my poncho liner for a blanket last nite and my top side was ok. Had a fleece blanket under me and still froze about 3 hrs in to the nite. Had to bail to the bed. Roughly 60 where I was sleeping

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 11x View Post
    I sleep in boxer briefs only. Can’t sleep in a shirt or pants of any kind. Sounds crazy but I can’t get comfortable. Just afraid to buy a 40deg quilt then still be cold because those ratings are set with base layers on. Had my poncho liner for a blanket last nite and my top side was ok. Had a fleece blanket under me and still froze about 3 hrs in to the nite. Had to bail to the bed. Roughly 60 where I was sleeping
    If it were me, I would buy a 20F UQ. You can always vent it a bit but it is hard to add things to it to make you warmer. IMO those boxer brief don't add much. I wear shorts and a tshirt to sleep in for summer and I know they don't add much insulation for me.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I hung full time since last fall with a 20*F 3/4 HG Phoenix or a 3/4 AHE apex Ridgecreek for my Hammocktent(s). Or a 20*F Wooki for my Sparrow or WBBB XLC. I sleep in merino boxers and 1/4 merino Darn Tough socks (mostly for the cold cement floor). The Thermostat is 65 and the ambient temperature is about 60*F. Top is an unzipped thin 30*F MH Lamina sleeping bag that I know from experience is more like a 40*F bag (from an REI garage sale).
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 04-24-2018 at 08:49.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie; Bandit XL
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    You did say indoors correct? I hammock inside and sleep comfortably in boxers only with a Snugpack UQ and TQ (neither have a temp rating as far as I know). Get's nice and toasty. In the winter I leave my heat set on 62 and leave a window cracked for airflow without issue. YMMV.

Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Thanks for all the advice. Yes. Permanent indoor underquilt. I was leaning towards the wookie simply because it’s set it and forget it although I am a tad scared that the rubber band will fail prematurely with daily use. Basically it will not be taken down unless I am taking the hammock and going on a trip. The hg is also a lot cheaper and if that would suffice for an every day quilt, I will go that route and get a wookie later for an outdoor quilt. My big question was about the rating of the quilts. Let’s say I get a 20deg quilt. Is that good to 20 deg if your buck naked or is that with 3 layers and 2 pairs of socks. Thanks again for that replys. Great food for thought.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would get a 20º UQ and vent it if you get too warm...but sounds like you won't!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 11x View Post
    My big question was about the rating of the quilts. Let’s say I get a 20deg quilt. Is that good to 20 deg if your buck naked or is that with 3 layers and 2 pairs of socks. Thanks again for that replys. Great food for thought.
    I hope your question has been answered but if not, really no one can tell you that but you. Most of the vendors here underrate the temp on their quilts. If it says 20F you might be able to get 10F out of it but only you can really answer that. Some sleep hot, some sleep cold, and some rarely sleep
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast