Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs down One last topless night

After thoroughly, and I mean THOROUGHLY checking my trees for blood suckers and not finding any, I decided to go one more night without a net. It's supposed to get down to freezing tonight, so I've got my old man winter and netless diy hammock with my Snugpak UQ and new 40° Econ Burrow zip. It's 40° right now with about a 5 mph or so wind off the water .I'm wearing lightweight wool socks, lightweight base layer top & bottom and a lightweight fleece vest. And so far, even though the Burrows right at its temp rating , I'm cozy warm. I don't doubt that it'll keep me plenty warm tonight even with the predicted low of 32°, as all of my other HG quilts have all performed exceptionally below their ratings.....Even the -10° set kept me warm when it was around -25° with the wind chill added in. Now that's quality! So since I haven't hung outside since mid February, and the temps are slowly rising here in northeastern Maryland, I figured I'd get out here and enjoy the cool, crisp spring air before I'm stuck inside a hot, humid breeze-less bug net, looking at a mass of web inside my tarp and wondering how I'm going to get out this time lol. Is it fall yet? Lol.
    Here's a vid of my rig for the night of your interested.....
    https://youtu.be/HzzCpEDsYPQ
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I've got the digital thermometer in the outside pocket of my fleece vest.....I'd say this qualifies as cozy warm yeah? I'll post a other pic when I get up in the morning to see exactly how well it did tonight. I think it's gonna do just fine

IMG_20180419_224335_hdr.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

Ok the results are in : Overnight low- 33° , low temp INSIDE quilt- 72°, high temp INSIDE quilt- 92° ! Id say that more than qualifies as a pass. And even better than that, the 92° temp was at 6:50 am when the outside temp was 34°. My back and butt were a little cool when I woke up from not having the UQ dialed in perfectly since I just kinda threw it on in the dark before I got in last night , but the Burrow more than did it's job I think. Tonight I'm gonna use my -10° Inc to see if that gives me even better results. The Snugpak is good but it's just hard to get it hung perfect sometimes. With the Incubator in instead I'll know for sure that if I'm warmer, it was indeed the Snugpak that skewed the results and not the Burrow.... Which I'm pretty sure of anyway. So if your interested in one of these , I'd say go.for it! It's an awesome quilt just like every other HG quilt is.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Wow, great video! You have made hammocking a science!!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Me? Thanks for for the compliment, but there are much smarter HF members than I that really do understand all the science behind what we do with rope, fabric and trees lol. I just try to pass on what little I do know by making to the point vids and showing how I do tnings. Glad you liked the vid !

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Ok so I was able to sneak in one more night without a net. It got down to 32° and I was warm using the new Burrow and -10° Incubator together. I think that I was right around its lower limit at that temp, but was far from being cold. 8° below its rating is fine with me though and I couldn't be happier. I forgot to put the thermometer in my pocket so I don't know the exact temp INSIDE the quilt but i was still comfortable non the less. I absolutely 100% recommend getting one. If you pair it with an equally rated UQ , or one rated far below like I did, you should have no problem being comfortable at 40° and even lower if you push it. I definitely want a matching Incubator now lol.

• + New Posts