Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sleeping pad vs. underquilt???

Being new to the hobby,looking for advice on a quality sleeping pad vs a underquilt? Hammock is a Clark NX270. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In short: pads in a hammock suck. They only have very few advantages: they are cheap, most beginners already have one, they can be used when going to ground (but once you hang, you'll probably try to avoid that at any cost), and they're absolutely wind-proof. On the con side: most pads are too narrow, they are not breathable (get used to always feeling somewhat damp), it's difficult to keep them in place and stay on them.

There are very few hammock enthusiasts who stick with pads over time. There is a reason for that But don't take my word - if you have a pad, simply try it yourself.

I have no experience with that particular hammock, but if you want to get started with an under quilt I'd suggest the AHE Jarbidge. It's relatively inexpensive and good down below freezing. In general under quilts are probably more comfortable in the sense that they don't change the shape of the hammock.I used pads for at least a year before buying my first quilt and generally prefer the quilts, but I reserve the right to change my mind and be inconsistent.

If you already own a pad try it first. If you own neither, buy an under quilt.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

I agree with the above. If you have a pad already, try it out. You may like it. I used a pad for the first year and a half, then my wife bought me an UQ and I have since only used the pad when I am bringing a friend (just doesn't seem right to me to introduce someone to hammock camping and not give them the best experience possible). My pas is small (short and narrow) and results in waking up cold throughout the night due to rolling off of it. I'm a big believer in trying what you have before spending money on something else. If you do decide to go the UQ route, you will have many choices from the cottage vendors here and, while I only have experience with one company, they all seem to produce very high quality goods. Good luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Try the pad first. Walmart sells a larger than normal pad (wide and long), the green one, for not much money.
    If you want to get an UQ, and you don't mind the weight of synthetic, I suggest getting the UQ that Clark makes that is specifically for the Clark hammocks. It fits perfectly, never slips, no cold spots...
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    In short: pads in a hammock suck.
    What he said... Me and pads just didn't get along.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly

Sleeping pad vs. underquilt???

I would have said the same thing about pads. Under quilts are great with gathered end hammocks. However with a bridge hammock I prefer sleeping on a pad. I can’t sleep very well in my ridgerunner with my lynx under quilt. Throw my Therm-A-Rest ZLite pad in and sleep fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond64 View Post
    Hammock is a Clark NX270. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    not sure I'd recommend this, but it's directly applicable

When I first tried sleeping overnight with my hammock, I tried using my sleeping pad that I had from backpacking. I found in 1-night that I wanted an underquilt. I then watched the YouTube video on constructing a PLUQ... seen here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsWOelVXuoI

After doing this, I also purchased a second underquilt (I have 2 hammocks) and have never gone back to using a sleeping pad. I still have it, but I just don't use it unless I am thinking I will be sleeping back on the ground.

I started using my Hennessy with a Prolite pad and then found the so much lighter and less bulky Klymit Inertia O-zone full-of-swiss-cheese-holes inflatable pad. The Klymit worked well enough for me in the hammock but underneath my sleeping bag. (I’m too big for it to fit inside my sleeping bag where it’s meant to be.) Neither pad was wonderful, especially towards morning when I begin to turn over onto my side. Too small, and especially the solid Prolite did not ventilate.
    So I went the route of a DIY synthetic underquilt. Check <https://blog.hogshop.ca/2018/04/19/diy-underquilt-by-hogs/> for a look at my result.
    I’ve only used it a few nights outside, all down below the freezing mark, which is what want it for. I’ve been very comfortable, right from the start of the night until I wake up after over-sleeping. I can roll, I can move without contorting, I’m warm all over. I’m looking forward to using it through warmer weather.
    I’ll not go back to a pad in my hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast