Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Integrated / Structural Underquilt?

Hello Hangers!

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. A couple searches didn't turn anything up.

I'm thinking about using structural fabric for making an underquilt that doesn't require a separate hammock. Or a hammock that doesn't require an additional underquilt, depending on your perspective. Knowing this potentially limits flexibility for future applications, it also seems like it could significantly streamline packing and setting up camp. My primary application is bikepacking. That means setting up camp is often after a day of pushing a heavy bike up a lot of hills and it's quite likely I'll be mildly out of my mind from effort when it comes time to hang the hammock.

Possible Benefits:
    Quicker setup - less to screw up
    Lower weight (one full length of fabric plus a second stuff sack left at home)
    Set-and-Forget hammock rig

Possible Cons:
    Tricky sewing
    Damage one piece = lose everything
    Less flexibility for warmer weather - the inherent limitation of integration
    Stitches pulling when the hammock stretches?

I've done a lot of DIY projects and have done some level of professional craft with most materials except light weight fabrics (also glass, but that's beside the point). So what are your thoughts? If I use an appropriate fabric for the base (interior) of the hammock, are there compelling reasons not to use that as the base for the insulation layer as well?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There are a couple of vendors who make hammocks with built-in insulation.

http://bonefiregear.com

https://shellhammocks.com/collection.../boone-hammock
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-18-2018 at 21:21.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    You know, I bet another pro is that it would be much more comfortable too! Not to say UQ are terrible, but it’s not as nice feeling as going “bare-butt and topless” when temps allow lol!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanPrimitive View Post
    Possible Benefits:
    Quicker setup - less to screw up
    Lower weight (one full length of fabric plus a second stuff sack left at home)
    Set-and-Forget hammock rig
    While you might get a lower weight with an integrated/insulated hammock, I doubt you'll get much improvement in the other two (quick setup / set and forget) compared to a WBBB XLC + Wooki with hammock skins to pack them (not sure where to find ones that fit the XLC and Wooki together, I made my own ). Set up your suspension, clip in the hammock, slip the skins off, and climb in.

Sounds like a fun DIY project, but there are available options that might do just want you want. Haven't had a chance to hang in a Bonefire, but they look interesting too.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As has been mentioned, there are a couple of insulated hammocks available commercially. Derek has some reviews (Bonefire, Sheltowee) on those.

I don't think that you can save much weight, though, for several reasons. Quilt fabrics and hammock fabrics are very different; quilt fabrics are usually very light, have not much weight bearing capacity and are calendared to be down-proof and to offer better wind resistancy. Hammock fabrics need to be more robust and are usually not calendared to be more breathable. In addition, the hammock fabric will be stressed along the seams from the quilt weight, which can lead to shifting threads. This issue gets worse the lighter the hammock fabric is. You would either need to use a fairly heavy down-proof hammock fabric, or you would need to build a double layer hammock (which seems to be the common way).

It's true that set-up is easier and faster, and the hammock would be more comfortable.

However, you forgot about an important con: it's not possible to wash the hammock without the quilt. I wash my hammocks regularly - I almost never wash my underquilts. Washing down is always a PITA, no matter how you go about it. You could use synthetics, which would making washing easier, but then you would gain quite a lot of weight. Also, synthetics don't have the same temperature range that down has, meaning you would definitely need different hammocks for different seasons.

I would suggest building a Wooki clone instead. The design is the best of both worlds with only negligible cons.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    IF you're looking to DIY, check out JustJeff's website too. He's done a synthetic and down variation.

To The Woods

Images
    The disadvantages outweigh the potential savings in weight, which isn't much to begin with.

If your primary concern is rapid deployment, look into getting a "lazy slug tube". It's a kind of snake skin for your entire hammock and quilt setup.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    OK... So help me out. Isn't the Sheltowee a similar design to the Wooki? I know Sheltowee has been around longer, but you don't hear much about them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    OK... So help me out. Isn't the Sheltowee a similar design to the Wooki? I know Sheltowee has been around longer, but you don't hear much about them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I thought the Sheltowee was a one piece integrated design, but you're right - that looks an awful lot like Wooki under a WB Traveller. They describe it as "a hammock with a permanently attached bottom insulation layer that is easy to use, vent-able, and can be adjusted from within the hammock bed". The only obvious differences I saw are that it's "permanently attached" and that it doesn't have the diagonal lay coverage like the Wooki (which means it might cover a wider variety of positions, but also might weigh more or insulate less on the diagonal?).

I kinda like that my Wooki is only mostly permanently attached.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I think the Bonefire Whisper is very similar to the WB Wooki. The Sheltowee is super awesome, but it isn't as much like the Wooki.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast