Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Based on what I've read (and my impression), the only significant advantage is ease of setup. While I like the cool factor too, I've found it almost as easy
    to leave the UQ attached and stuff the hammock, bugnet, and quilts into a bishop bag and then into the pack. Therefore I wouldn't gain much, and would lose the ability to wash just the quilt by itself.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanPrimitive View Post
    I'm thinking about using structural fabric for making an underquilt that doesn't require a separate hammock. Or a hammock that doesn't require an additional underquilt, depending on your perspective. Knowing this potentially limits flexibility for future applications, it also seems like it could significantly streamline packing and setting up camp. My primary application is bikepacking. That means setting up camp is often after a day of pushing a heavy bike up a lot of hills and it's quite likely I'll be mildly out of my mind from effort when it comes time to hang the hammock....Quicker setup - less to screw up.
    Lower weight (one full length of fabric plus a second stuff sack left at home)
    Set-and-Forget hammock rig...
    Tricky sewingDamage one piece = lose everythingLess flexibility for warmer weather - the inherent limitation of integration
    Stitches pulling when the hammock stretches?I've done a lot of DIY projects and have done some level of professional craft with most materials except light weight fabrics (also glass, but that's beside the point). So what are your thoughts? If I use an appropriate fabric for the base (interior) of the hammock, are there compelling reasons not to use that as the base for the insulation layer as well?
    I think that you acknowledged all the issues and benefits for this kind of system.
    I've made a few attempts at a single layer version of the Bonefire Whisper, but each of them has either torn through, or not been very downproof. I have a single layered synthetic scheduled for prototyping this summer.
    I'm happy to help you work through some of the math if you have questions, you'll just need to PM me, as I'm not always on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    While you might get a lower weight with an integrated/insulated hammock, I doubt you'll get much improvement in the other two (quick setup / set and forget) compared to a WBBB XLC + Wooki with hammock skins to pack them (not sure where to find ones that fit the XLC and Wooki together, I made my own ). Set up your suspension, clip in the hammock, slip the skins off, and climb in.
    With the Deluxe Suspension, I can be set up in under two minutes in the rain. Some of the similar systems are not "set and forget," but that's at least what I was going for. I think with more development, someone could do something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    Sounds like a fun DIY project, but there are available options that might do just want you want. Haven't had a chance to hang in a Bonefire, but they look interesting too.
    Come to a hang, I'm happy to let you borrow one for the evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    ...I don't think that you can save much weight, though, for several reasons. Quilt fabrics and hammock fabrics are very different; quilt fabrics are usually very light, have not much weight bearing capacity and are calendared to be down-proof and to offer better wind resistancy. Hammock fabrics need to be more robust and are usually not calendared to be more breathable. In addition, the hammock fabric will be stressed along the seams from the quilt weight, which can lead to shifting threads. This issue gets worse the lighter the hammock fabric is. You would either need to use a fairly heavy down-proof hammock fabric, or you would need to build a double layer hammock (which seems to be the common way)...
    Spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    ...However, you forgot about an important con: it's not possible to wash the hammock without the quilt. I wash my hammocks regularly - I almost never wash my underquilts. Washing down is always a PITA, no matter how you go about it. ...
    While I have tested washing the Whisper a few times in pre-production, I've never had the need to wash either my hammock or my UQ, only my TQ. I can attest that while it is possible, it can be a PITA.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlusOne View Post
    IF you're looking to DIY, check out JustJeff's website too. He's done a synthetic and down variation. To The Woods
    He was one of my early inspirations.
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    The disadvantages outweigh the potential savings in weight, which isn't much to begin with.
    How so? I like the way the OP is thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    OK... So help me out. Isn't the Sheltowee a similar design to the Wooki? I know Sheltowee has been around longer, but you don't hear much about them.
    Both are ventable, but one is fully detachable. Sheltowee has nice gear, but keeps the ability to dial in for the individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    I think the Bonefire Whisper is very similar to the WB Wooki. The Sheltowee is super awesome, but it isn't as much like the Wooki.
    Yeah, the Wooki is a diagonal lay like the Whisper while the Boone is straight.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    Brother Bones,
    As a noob to this hobby, my head explodes when I am lead down another rabbit hole. I just went to your sight and POW.... cool stuff.

While not structural, I have a DIY hammock with an integrated UQ, and love it. I too find setup/teardown time particularly important, and not having to adjust anything makes it all the more lovely for me. Once I get my UQ dialed in for my new hammock I made, I'll likely make it a permanent item as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12