Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I take a lot of road trips with the family. From MN we've driven to Washington DC, Key West, the Parks of Utah, Yellowstone, Glacier and this Spring we toured California.

Start with a google map of home, zoom out until you are at the limit of how far you want to travel. Find anything green on your map. Zoom in and explore. Does it look appealing? If yes, plan from there. If no, zoom out and find the next green patch.

Adventure starts when you are willing to leave the house with a less than certain outcome. Explore what's close then keep going.
    Good response. I've done the Google thing before.

I hate when people say "ooh wow" if I tell them how long of a drive something is. It is or it isn't depending on who you ask, but what are you gonna do about it? Take a plane? Move? Both of those aren't happening for me. You either go or you don't. I would rather drive 8 hours than sit in an office for 8 hours. The memories, challenge, views, experience will always outweigh a little gas money and extra time in the car. Actually, I enjoy the quiet time alone in my car thinking, listening to music, eating fast food, whatever.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Superfly20D
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Loops/Mule Tape
    Being in NE PA you gotta be close to the AT somewheres. If I need a quick jaunt the AT is usually my go to, either here in NJ or anywhere in PA/NY. I'm lucky enough to be able to access many miles of the AT within a few hours drive, and also be weary of some of the more difficult sections if you aren't up for it.

Love the idea of starting at home and zooming out, just exploring for places to go. Adventurous!!

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide Hexon 1.6 Coyote B.
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Econs 30
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Good response. I've done the Google thing before.

I hate when people say "ooh wow" if I tell them how long of a drive something is. It is or it isn't depending on who you ask, but what are you gonna do about it? Take a plane? Move? Both of those aren't happening for me. You either go or you don't. I would rather drive 8 hours than sit in an office for 8 hours. The memories, challenge, views, experience will always outweigh a little gas money and extra time in the car. Actually, I enjoy the quiet time alone in my car thinking, listening to music, eating fast food, whatever.
    Ya im not worried about the drive either. It's nice now knowing my wife enjoys hanging as well. Lets me buy new gear lol. As long as it's above 50 she will want to tag along. But with my work schedule working 3 days on 3 days off I have alot of free time. So in fall and winter I plan on doing alot of solo trips instead of just sitting home.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide Hexon 1.6 Coyote B.
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Econs 30
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptastic4wd View Post
    Being in NE PA you gotta be close to the AT somewheres. If I need a quick jaunt the AT is usually my go to, either here in NJ or anywhere in PA/NY. I'm lucky enough to be able to access many miles of the AT within a few hours drive, and also be weary of some of the more difficult sections if you aren't up for it.

Love the idea of starting at home and zooming out, just exploring for places to go. Adventurous!!
    I live 5 minutes from the access point of the AT in Port Clinton. And if you know that spot, it's the one where you hit all the elevation right at the start lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    My favorite source for hiking trails is a National Geographic map. If an area is worth hiking, NG will have a map for the area which will cost around $7-8 bucks.

The maps have all the trails in the zone color-coded. This is what I used to plan my hiking trip in early-April to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. It worked out perfectly.
    Maps are nice and all, but I wouldn't say that they have "all" of the trails. I have planned numerous hikes in alltrails using gps data from other hikers that aren't on any printed map. Compare the Linville Gorge Wilderness map to gps data from the Gorge Rats, for example.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234