Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor0nl1n3 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking to get my hands on a tarp for the first time. I've done a bit of research online and what baffles me is the price range.

Tarps can come as cheap as 15 or 20€ on Amazon up to the 250€ for the Warbonnet cuban fiber tarp.

I can easily see that between a 15€ tarp on Amazon and the Warbonnet mentionned above, there's a world of difference in terms of quality. I'm probably interested in neither one of these extremes.

When looking for "middle of the range" products, I still come up with a big gap. For example, let's look at
    • The DD 3x3 tarp ------------------- 52€ ; 790 gr
    • The Dutchware Tadpole tarp ------ 95$ ; 360 gr
    • The Warbonnet Superfly tarp ----- 140$ ; 540 gr

From what I'm reading on the internet, DD is a good brand and their tarp is a good product. Same goes for the two other models cited above. But then what's the discriminating factor that justifies such a stress in the price range? Is there really a big difference in quality? If so, what does that mean? Are we talking tear-resistance or water-resistence or overal weight or...?

Thanks for your insight
    Yeah you are right but there are many traps available costing less price but definitely there is going to be a quality deference you will pay more money for higher quality I'm new In the start I'm going to test some cheaper one if you are interested in cheaper one then let me know I would suggest you which I have found recently.

Hammock
    SBP
    Tarp
    Ewotah 10x10
    Insulation
    USGI Woobie
    Suspension
    JRB
    I use a slumberjack tarp. Not expensive but it works. Also not super light

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly/Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Lots of great info on here and I agree with the cost per use, if I use something a lot I can justify spending more money on it; moreover, higher quality gear *should* last a lot longer and be generally more useable. DD Camping hammock was my very first hammock which got me into hammock camping, my very first outing with it I had a big heavy (2kg) blue ground sheet as my tarp. I used this set up a couple of times and then made my own DIY gathered end hammock that was longer than the camping hammock from DD and significantly lighter. This wasn't too expensive as it was DIY. From there I was looking at tarp options and was considering the offerings from DD. The weight kept putting me off and then they launched their Super Light range and I was more interested. In the end I ended up going with the Superfly and haven't looked back since. It is a simple one-tarp does it all for me and can be used in all hammock camping scenarios IMO.

One thing you may not have considered is good quality and well respected gear (Such as that from Warbonnet, Dutch etc.) will always retain a good portion of its value and can be sold on fairly easily. I often see Warbonnet products selling in the For Sale section, I don't think I have seen a DD product for a long time... YMMV
    Cheers,
    Tom

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    When I first started hammock camping, I thought tarps should be cheap, and wasn't willing to pay more than $20. I now have a closet full of $20 tarps that don't do the job: too short, too flimsy, etc. It was a hard lesson to learn.

Then I got an HG Winter Palace cuben fiber tarp about six years ago. I haven't gotten wet since. I wish I wasn't so thick-headed about tarps - I would have saved money and stayed dry. If I were starting out now, I'd definitely get a Superfly!
    Hi SilvrSurfr,

Would you prefer the Superfly over your HG Cuben Fiber (Winter) Palace?

Thanks,
    BB

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenny View Post
    Hi SilvrSurfr,

Would you prefer the Superfly over your HG Cuben Fiber (Winter) Palace?

Thanks,
    BB
    I'd take the Winter Palace over the Superfly every time, but cost matters to many. It's hard to justify a $415 tarp (Winter Palace) versus a $140 tarp (SuperFly). If I had bought the Superfly first, I'd probably be happy with it and never would have gotten the Winter Palace. However, I was trying to reduce my pack weight at all costs and thought I'd rather have a 9 ounce tarp (Winter Palace) than a 19 oz. tarp (Superfly). I still feel the same way - if you got the money, go for the Winter Palace!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks SilvrSurfr, I was hazarding a guess that’s what you were thinking but wanted to know. I haven’t decided which way to go yet and what dimensions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    The DD 3x3 is not a hammock specific tarp, it is OK, hung on the square for the short DD hammocks, but will not give enough coverage for an 11' hammock. In that case, you have to hang it on the diagonal.
    I'm surprised no one disputed this and other posts in this thread making the same claim. The DD 3m x 3m tarp, if hung one side-tie-out in from the diagonal turns out to have an 11' ridgeline, just right for an 11' hammock after you account for hang angle. So you're not limited to the ~10' A-frame or the ~14' diagonal ridgelines. There's another option, and it works quite nicely.

Scroll down a little on this page and note the blue dashed line:
    https://theultimatehang.com/2015/08/...a-square-tarp/

The other side of the dyneema - Silpoly debate isn’t just weight savings or value. There’s the issue of *volume*. Silpoly packs down smaller than dyneema — so it’s totally waterproof, not stretchy like silnylon, and cheaper, quieter, and *smaller* than dyneema. When I pack around a hammock setup with two quilts, volume is a real issue.

I love my Silpoly Warbonnet mountain fly. I don’t see why I would get anything else. I spent hours in a vicious 35-37* driving rain — and stayed totally dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    Didn’t read the whole thread but I have a superfly that has kept me dry for many years now.
    Buy quality and you will be happier in the long run.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There are so many Pros and Cons to a tarp. So if you are only seeing the Pros, then you aren't seeing the whole picture.

I started with a Hennessy Hex that was in service for years. I upgraded from SilNylon to Silpoly after a rainy weekend where I had to deal with 3 large-ish SilNylon tarps.

There are so many improvements I could invest in besides a Dyneema tarp (which has its Cons besides cost).

In general, I like a larger tarp because I want a dry area outside my hammock. I use a MiniFly or asymmetrical tarp as a sun shade on day hikes. The minifly will keep me dry in the rain, but if weight/bulk is not an issue (kayak camping) I'll take a larger tarp.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast