Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is an expensive tarp worth it?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to get my hands on a tarp for the first time. I've done a bit of research online and what baffles me is the price range.

Tarps can come as cheap as 15 or 20€ on Amazon up to the 250€ for the Warbonnet cuban fiber tarp.

I can easily see that between a 15€ tarp on Amazon and the Warbonnet mentionned above, there's a world of difference in terms of quality. I'm probably interested in neither one of these extremes.

When looking for "middle of the range" products, I still come up with a big gap. For example, let's look at
    • The DD 3x3 tarp ------------------- 52€ ; 790 gr
    • The Dutchware Tadpole tarp ------ 95$ ; 360 gr
    • The Warbonnet Superfly tarp ----- 140$ ; 540 gr

From what I'm reading on the internet, DD is a good brand and their tarp is a good product. Same goes for the two other models cited above. But then what's the discriminating factor that justifies such a stress in the price range? Is there really a big difference in quality? If so, what does that mean? Are we talking tear-resistance or water-resistence or overal weight or...?

Thanks for your insight

Images
    You need to realise that saving weight costs money. In the UK, you could say ounces cost pounds, but the joke doesn't really work with grammes and euros.
    If you are not backpacking far, weight saving is less of an issue, HYOH.

The DD 3x3 is not a hammock specific tarp, it is OK, hung on the square for the short DD hammocks, but will not give enough coverage for an 11' hammock. In that case, you have to hang it on the diagonal.
    The other two are hammock specific tarps, they will cover grown-up hammocks just fine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Yeah the lighter materials are going to cost you. As Gadget said, the DD is a bit small for an 11' hammock but can work for a 10' hammock if pitched properly.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    As others have said, saving weight costs money. But I think a lot depends on your hammocking needs, such as whether or not you are backpacking (and thus interested in weight savings), how long your hammock is, are you only a fair weather hanger or are you a 3-4 season hanger/ If only fair weather (summer), you can get away with a smaller hex style tarp and save some weight and money. If you are not concerned about weight there are lots tarps in the 1 to 1.5 KG weight range that will work great and cost relatively little. BUT, if you want good coverage for all conditions, weight & bulk savings, buy the superfly one time and be done. I wish I would have done that. I have a couple DIY tarps, and various sil-nylon and poly-sil tarps I have purchased over the years and I should have just bought the Superfly and been done! Good luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I bought the standard Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber tarp and yes, it was expensive, but I don't regret it at all. It's strong, compresses into a small size and weighs basically nothing. I've had it out in some bad storms (snow and rain) and it works fine.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I am a "Cost per use" guy. Stuff I like I use more so, it cost me less per use everytime I hit the trail. A peice of gear that is difficult to carry or use stays home. So, if a cheap peice of gear get used only a few times, each of the uses were expensive.

Buy what you like, then use it alot.

I've had 5 tarps ranging in price from $79-$250. My Warbonnet Superfly, $140 ish, is my cheapest tarp per use. I take it every time I hammock.

Good Luck
    Last edited by OCDave; 04-16-2018 at 11:57.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When I first started hammock camping, I thought tarps should be cheap, and wasn't willing to pay more than $20. I now have a closet full of $20 tarps that don't do the job: too short, too flimsy, etc. It was a hard lesson to learn.

Then I got an HG Winter Palace cuben fiber tarp about six years ago. I haven't gotten wet since. I wish I wasn't so thick-headed about tarps - I would have saved money and stayed dry. If I were starting out now, I'd definitely get a Superfly!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I guess the question for your comparison is are you comparing apples-to-apples? There are a variety of materials, weights of materials, sizes, cuts (asym, hex, etc). and catenary cuts vs straight cuts.

I have a bunch of tarps. Some are lighter weight (potentially more delicate) and just barely cover my hammock and some are huge and more bomb proof. I like them all and they all have their advantages and I use them all.

Comparing just 2 of the ones you listed:

Tadpole vs Superfly
    7.6' wide vs 10' wide
    No doors vs doors
    Summer vs 4-season

That's what you're getting for the extra $45.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I would get the superfly or something with doors to use in all conditions. I think that you are better off investing in something that will serve you in more situations. You could go a step further and get a cuben fiber tarp to start with, but then you are more than twice the cost.

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    I have a DD 4x4 and love the size, the weight I have mostly ignored because I'm not hoofing it very often, very far. Winter sledding/pulking is more like it and very easy to add a few ounces/pounds without severe penalty.

The price was right (Amazon special I think) and the results have been totally worth it. I like lots of space under a tarp, and believe me, 4x4 is much bigger than 3x3 (or 10'x10') over an 11' hammock. Room to spread out without being too concerned about moisture, wind, or company under the tarp....

My input would be take what you like, meeting your needs >> lighter farther, bigger heavier for shorter or more weather trips.

Gregori

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast