Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor0nl1n3 View Post
    Thanks for your insight
    You get what you pay for.

1. Ultralight Weight
    2. Packability
    3. Waterproofness

Pick two of the above, 'cause you can't get all three.

Options 1 & 2 get you Dyneema - because SilPoly will leak after the silicon is abraded; cost goes up.

Options 2 & 3 get you Aqua Quest Defenders because a 20,000 mm water column is good enough; plenty of size options also.

Or

Options 2 & 3 get you 6-mil. Clear Poly Sheeting - 6 Mil, 16' x 100'; you get six DIY tarps 16'x16' with a smidge left over. Not lightweight but will fold small and will be plenty waterproof.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Yeah, it's worth it to spend the extra little bit of money to get a good tarp Amazon's got tarps pretty cheap but it's all in what you want
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    You get what you pay for.

1. Ultralight Weight
    2. Packability
    3. Waterproofness

Pick two of the above, 'cause you can't get all three.

Options 1 & 2 get you Dyneema - because SilPoly will leak after the silicon is abraded; cost goes up.

Options 2 & 3 get you Aqua Quest Defenders because a 20,000 mm water column is good enough; plenty of size options also.

Or

Options 2 & 3 get you 6-mil. Clear Poly Sheeting - 6 Mil, 16' x 100'; you get six DIY tarps 16'x16' with a smidge left over. Not lightweight but will fold small and will be plenty waterproof.
    This is also my answer. While I love dyneema, the pack bulk is usually more than I want, so i end up with SilPoly or SilNylon. With that said... dyneema really is better.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Big blue monster
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I started out with a cheap blue builders tarp i got on amazon india. It is great for coverage, but noisy in the wind, very bulky and heavy.
    Then I got a Wise Owl 11ft hex tarp from Amazon.com. It is great for fair weather, but offers little protection from driving rain.
    Finally I got the 12ft Superior Shelter from Superior Gear. The $230 was totally worth it. I can use it in all weather, it fits in my backpack. I love the doors and that I can set it up in various ways. The clips for easy deploying are great. Be sure to add snakeskins.
    Setting it up low in cold weather makes my hammock overcover redundant as it blocks the wind very effectively and creates a cosy shelter. Shug has some great videos about the Superior Shelter

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly/MtnFly
    Insulation
    3-Season TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    So... I have a few tarps. I have the Warbonnet Mountainfly, Superfly, and a MacCat deluxe. Full disclosure... I did go full geek and purchase the Warbonnet tarps as custom builds - so it was a bit more expensive, but I got some more flexibility out of them by doing so. I'm happy. I do not own any DCF tarps, but I DO own a HMG Ultamid 2 backpacking tent that is absolutely wonderful. It's lightweight and roomy. I use the half insert more often than the full insert (Check out the Hyperlight Mountain Gear website if you're curious about what I'm talking about.) As I said... It's super lightweight and easy to set up. I positively love that thing. Here's the kicker... It does NOT pack down compact. It's super lightweight, but it can be bulky. Also, it is prone to getting pin holes poked in it from random stuff. It isn't delicate, it's just one of those things you check for periodically. DCF is a super simple patch as well. And it's easy to do.

Having said that... I would be a very happy man if I was gifted a DCF tarp for my hammock camping. They are fantastic. I don't mind the rattling noise that rain makes against that material. I actually find it soothing. However, I'm not inclined to buy one. I've used SilNylon and SilPoly tarps and have nothing of note to complain about. They are durable, and shed water like they are supposed to. And they pack down pretty small. I've spent a lot of nights under that material and stayed well sheltered.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this... I figured out what I like and don't like; and I did that with less expensive tarps to start with. After I dialed myself in a bit more (I'm still learning) I came to appreciate features that only are available on some of the more expensive tarps. My advice would be to follow the same path. Go cheaper and see what more you would like vs what you truly need. And then I would go with one of the cottage industry manufacturers. It supports them and their innovations AND they tend (in my experience) to have great customer service and more personalized attention paid on the manufacturing of their products. You may pay a little more with them but I do believe you would find the added cost worth it.
    The problem with being better than everyone else is that people tend to think you are pretentious.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234