Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight

Pod, UQ that converts to a wrap around bag.

https://outdoorvitals.com/products/o...t-sleeping-bag

Has anyone seen this or tried it? There are a couple version for different temps.
    Also there are other brands of similar products on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...F+Sleeping+Bag

Wondering if anyone has tried this concept out, or this brand out. If you can provide some input as to why its a bad idea, that would be helpful. Youtube is a place to find out why everything is great, but its rare to find whats bad ya know?

Nice to be back, its been a while, my usual once a year drop in - hope everyone is looking forward to getting out as the temps are warming up.

Thanks!
    Scott
    Scott
    Herndon, VA
    (Looking for others to see how their setup works locally)

Images
    On my GEMINI underquilt set, the one blanket is an underquilt booster that also doubles as a standalone snap-together top quilt. Because it has these extra snaps, and because it is 60" width, it's just wide enough that i can reach around and snap the ends together to make a "pseudo-pod". It wasn't meant to do this, but just something i discovered while playing around with it.

That is basically what the OV blanket is doing, only with a zipper.

That said, i would never use it that way ;-) The biggest problem is that it forces you into banana mode which can be rather uncomfortable. This is true of pretty much any "pod" style product. I would rather have a dedicated quilt set that are "good at being what they are".

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Been using the concept for years for my deep winter hangs......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...h6OeCVQY1WGnXG
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Like this?

I have used the concept for years, but not that brand, which will make some difference. This one is the old Speer Pea Pod. It had it's own pros and cons which had to be dealt with, but over all it worked like a charm, better than anything else I have used. The most draft proof approach. I also had no issues with diagonal lay in the hammocks I used, and as you can see great head insulation was included.

But this is not quite the same as other pod approaches, as it wraps entirely around the hammock, including- depending on the size of the hammock- the ends. Which is, again, a huge help in preventing drafts and gaps, the bane of all quilt use.
    http://www.tttrailgear.com/speer-peapod/

http://www.tttrailgear.com/speer-polarpod/

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I've been using a Snugpak Cocoon for about 2 years now and while it doesn't convert to a bag, it does a great job for the price point and is made very well. I can get a decent diagonal lay and it's kept me warm to about 25° or so.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome back ‘07er. Nice to have some OHF (original HAmmockForums) folks around.

I’ve thought OV Aerie and also cheaper option from Chill Gorilla. My idea is to cut some weight of from my pack and that’s main reason for this.

Currently I’m Hennessy dude but not a happy one. It bothers me to carry hammock with tarp, uq and sleeping bag with me. By using pod I could use lighter hammock compared to Hennessy and to also leave sleeping bag home because I’m mainly hanging on three season style. I’m not planning to go such temperatures as Shug is doing.

Maybe I just do the purchase and report back soon.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

I've had a lot of success with my Snugpak Cocoon. I've taken it to around 27° on its own ( I'm a cold sleeper) , but I've stacked it with my Snugpak UQ and TQ which comfortably took me into the low 20's (iirc) . I was told by Snugpak's marketing director that it's rated to about 25°F, so I'd say that's pretty much right on the money. Compared to a down "pod" or a separate TQ/UQ combo it's fairly heavy at around 5lbs, but does compress well in its included compression sack. The materials that it's made from, like Snugpak's other hammock insulation, is DWR treated and is antibacterial/antimicrobial . The DWR treated outer material works really well and I've done a wet out test to prove it. So as long as your not gonna be thru hiking the AT with it or hanging in far below freezing temps when it's deep winter in Minnesota ( ie " Shuging " lol) , then I'd say it's an outstanding piece of gear that would work great for most people. Let me know if you have any questions about my experience using it. Also, here's a link to the YouTube video I did to go over the results of the wet-out test I did with it. I've also got some other gear reviews vids and insulation specific ones as well if your interested...... Good luck and enjoy! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GFe_K8-cQ2k
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    I have an Aerie 30 bag/underquilt that I picked up very cheap. It has sewn through baffles and really doesn't seem to have enough down for a 30 degree rating. You can see the thin spots through the shell. I have used it as an underquilt in temperatures no lower than 55. I am a warm sleeper and it worked fine for that, although the underquilt hanging system leaves a lot to be desired. I believe that if I had used it as a pod it during those same outings, it would probably have kept me comfortably warm. However, I have serious doubts that it would be warm at it's 30 degree rating, even for me.
    Last edited by sabinajiles; 05-17-2018 at 20:00. Reason: errors

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I saw that the other day when someone was asking about what they could get on Amazon. Sure looks like it could be narrow to me. Guy in the pic looks like he's got a banana lay. One of the reasons I never tried this is because I had narrow mummy bags. I believe the PeaPod was somewhat gargantuan in comparison, but I always heard it was the best. I'd buy a hammock on Amazon, don't know that I'd be ready to buy a quilt there unless they were much better with listing specs, or perhaps if it were a known brand.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast