Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning

Newbies - still gathering equipment

Hello,

We are still new to this and are trying to get hubby and son set up to hammock camp. For now, it will be just fair weather camping with scouts because we haven't invested in under quilts yet. They plan to use their ground mats and see how that goes.

We have DIY hammocks that we made out of the table cloths, with instruction from this forum. We have whoopie slings and tree straps. We have just recently purchased bug nets (Dutchware Summer Socks) and rain flys (War Bonnet Thunderfly) We have ordered tent stakes and also some cordage to use for guylines.

What we are trying to figure out is the ridgelines. If they are wanting to use their tarps and bug nets with their hammocks how many ridgelines will they have? So, the hammock hangs from the whoopie slings attached to the tree straps. Then you hang a ridgeline for the tarp and guy line the sides down. Then do you have to have another ridgeline for the bugnet? It doesn't seem like the bug net and the tarp can use the same ridgeline because you won't be able to slide the bug net up and over you very easily.

Also, what cordage is recommended for the ridgeline for the tarp? We ordered some reflective glow wire to use for the guy lines, can this also be used for a ridge line for the tarp or do we even need a ridgeline for the tarp or just use guy lines on the ends?

Would also love input on the hardware pieces to use instead of having to tie knots. I know, hubby and son are Scouts, but I am not and have no idea how to tie all these different knots, nor will I remember from time to time when I have a chance to get my hammock out.

THANKS for the help!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Check out Shugs video on hammock ridgelines.
    https://youtu.be/xrfBrIEH2-U

As well as tarp ridgelines/tieouts. It's a four part series.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GQPY5BuyPI

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Sounds like what you need for the hammock is a structural ridgeline. Normally, I'd recommend a fixed one, but with DIY hammocks, I think an adjustable one would work best to ensure you get the right sag. Ridgeline should be tight when in the hammock so it supports the bugnet and whatever else you want to hang on it. Mine is typically tight (or just not loose) when I'm not in the hammock. You don't have to have one. If you hang at 30 degrees on the hammock suspension, your sag should be good. However, its very convenient to hang stuff from, and almost a necessity with a separate bugnet. You can get away with not having them if you use a Continuous Ridge Line (CRL) and run it under the tarp so that you can attach the bugnet to the CRL via whatever method you can. If its me, I'd get the structural ridgeline as there are other benefits as mentioned.

Speaking of the tarp ridgeline, I prefer two separate lines to the CRL. I use Dutch's Stingers for hardware, real simple, easy to use. I use tarp worms for tie outs, but I'd just get line locs for now because they are cheap and easy.

Per your screen name, I presume you'll be making UQs at some point? How about TQs, what are you doing there? Just using sleeping bags with the pads? That's fine, just don't try to zip up in the bags - instead just zip a little footbox and lay them out on top like a TQ.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    It sure can be confusing at first, right?

Shugs vids & Ultimate Hang are probably the best sources to turn to... grab some popcorn and binge away on them.

That said, you're right on the ridge lines... two per setup.. maybe three depending on preference..

One is on the hammock and is referred to as a structural ridge line (SRL) or adjustable ridge line (ARL) depending on whether it is a static length or adjustable. It's usually made from lighter cordage than what you would use for suspension components... Zingit, Lashit, Dyneema/Spectra hollow core line etc. Yes, the bug net will drape over it, but it's really there to keep the droop in the hammock constant when your suspension is set at different heights & tree spacing.

The second is to set the tarp between the trees. Depending on preference you can use a single length of cordage (continuous ridge line or CRL), usually zingit, lashit etc, that stretches from tree to tree with the tarp tensioned somewhere in the middle. However, many choose a single tarp ridgeline at either end of the tarp, connected to each tree.

Hardware... ok... this is a REALLY deep dive. There are more kinds of tarp hardware than there are pasta shapes in the supermarket.. Best bet is just browse around this sub-forum. Every third post is probably an new piece or hardware or an old piece of hardware with a new twist. I avoid hardware as much as possible.. but that's just my preference.

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    Too hot in FL
    Suspension
    DIY dyneema D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Sounds like what you need for the hammock is a structural ridgeline. Normally, I'd recommend a fixed one, but with DIY hammocks, I think an adjustable one would work best to ensure you get the right sag. Ridgeline should be tight when in the hammock so it supports the bugnet and whatever else you want to hang on it. Mine is typically tight (or just not loose) when I'm not in the hammock. You don't have to have one. If you hang at 30 degrees on the hammock suspension, your sag should be good. However, its very convenient to hang stuff from, and almost a necessity with a separate bugnet. You can get away with not having them if you use a Continuous Ridge Line (CRL) and run it under the tarp so that you can attach the bugnet to the CRL via whatever method you can. If its me, I'd get the structural ridgeline as there are other benefits as mentioned.

Speaking of the tarp ridgeline, I prefer two separate lines to the CRL. I use Dutch's Stingers for hardware, real simple, easy to use. I use tarp worms for tie outs, but I'd just get line locs for now because they are cheap and easy.

Per your screen name, I presume you'll be making UQs at some point? How about TQs, what are you doing there? Just using sleeping bags with the pads? That's fine, just don't try to zip up in the bags - instead just zip a little footbox and lay them out on top like a TQ.

Strongly agree with this advice. Especially the adjustable structural ridgeline. Structural ridgelines are especially useful when first getting used to setting up the correct hang angles. Then it can support your bugnet and you’d have a separate ridgeline for the tarp. I prefer to have 2 shorter lines for tying the tarp to the trees, instead of one long line all the way across from one tree to the other. if you don’t want to tie any knots check out the “Nama claw”. They can be used very intuitively with either a full tarp ridgeline or the 2 shorter lines. On their websites photo gallery they have pictures of both methods in action.

EDIT: also strongly agree with the above post, if you binge through shugs videos you will have a greater understanding of the types of ridgelines, ways to use them, materials they should be made of, and the bigger picture of how everything fits together into a beautiful hang. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable on hammock camping, having been doing it for a couple years and on extended trips to New Zealand and Indonesia, but I learned more in an hour from Shug’s videos than I did throughout all my experience up until then. They are great as well because he usually breaks things down into multiple options, so if you get out and try one method but just don’t like it, he usually has multiple other methods you could try next until you find your favorite way to it. His videos are one of the greatest resources for new hangers and seasoned hangers alike. Plus he’ll really turn you on to the concept of having breakfast from your hammock.
    Last edited by Beckerbrain; 06-09-2018 at 07:39.

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Another vote for Shug. I've learned so much from his videos and he makes them fun to watch.

• + New Posts