Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I think we're using different language to describe the same phenomena. Steeper pole angle: slacker ridgeline; shallower: tighter. As for relative importance of ridgeline slope, I'm not sure how to rank. I've consistently been able to remove ridgeline slack by lengthening the ridgeline, making the poles shallower.

If I tilt the stand more than a little, my head tends to contact a pole, while letting out the ridgeline improves clearance.

edit: in trying to reconcile our differing results, it's clear i'm missing something. you qualified your conclusion with "unless the ridgeline goes slack." Well, that's what happens to me frequently (doesn't happen in your footage), and it's my cue to let out the suspension, whereupon the ridgeline tension increases. Now, unless I adjust the guyline length to compensate, this increase in ridgeline length results also in greater tilt, which you posit as the most significant factor. Maybe you're right.

i do love the subtlety here, such that mysteries remain in what seems so simple. deceptive!
    Last edited by Latherdome; 04-16-2018 at 21:51.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    Thanks for sharing the build. It is good to see what others have done!

I've toyed with building something that was more packable (shorter) lenghts than the aluminum masts, but hadn't made it a priority...
    Been stuck somewhere between lack of down time, and "don't fix what isn't broken".

Hammock
    Lesovik Draka + many more
    Tarp
    Superfly + alot
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopiesling
    Images
    I might as well learn from your "mistakes".
    So how long is the two different legs in total. from top to bottum.
    And how long is the hammock?

I'm using 20mm and 25mm galvanized conduit what is the best way to make a Tensahedron stand . My hammock is a DD frontline and also a DD 3x 3 metre tarp. Help needed.I

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Special7195 View Post
    I'm using 20mm and 25mm galvanized conduit what is the best way to make a Tensahedron stand . My hammock is a DD frontline and also a DD 3x 3 metre tarp. Help needed.I
    Check Mike’s build here: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/make-yo...ahedron-stand/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have built them from top rail cut in two and reversed into itself to make total length disassembled 5'3". You can cut 6" off the rear legs and a foot off the front and be fine with many hangs. I like full length. Try and cut, cutting shorter is always easier than cutting longer.

Lighter, didn't trust it, it never broke.

Hinged 3*10 lumber works with a barn hinge on the top. A bit springy, I recommend paracord for anchor line, and amsteel for straddle. You don't want sideways flex on this one.

Amsteel loops to join are great, make sure you deburr your edges and use a good grommet. Or this, will turn into this. (more to the story on this one)

Using a locking UCR for your Ridgeline and straddle line let's you have a line to bundle the halves with.

Hanging from a loop around your cross point VS hanging from the loop connecting your legs will save strain and rub.

Paracord anchor lines help absorb shock loads. Using it for your straddle line let's you bounce a bit if you toss and turn. You have to load, wait for stretch and reset though.

Hope this helps some folks looking to build one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Could you please supply a comprehensive list of conduit sizes (lengths) . I own a DD frontline hammock and a 3x3 metre tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I think we're using different language to describe the same phenomena. Steeper pole angle: slacker ridgeline; shallower: tighter. As for relative importance of ridgeline slope, I'm not sure how to rank. I've consistently been able to remove ridgeline slack by lengthening the ridgeline, making the poles shallower.

If I tilt the stand more than a little, my head tends to contact a pole, while letting out the ridgeline improves clearance.

edit: in trying to reconcile our differing results, it's clear i'm missing something. you qualified your conclusion with "unless the ridgeline goes slack." Well, that's what happens to me frequently (doesn't happen in your footage), and it's my cue to let out the suspension, whereupon the ridgeline tension increases. Now, unless I adjust the guyline length to compensate, this increase in ridgeline length results also in greater tilt, which you posit as the most significant factor. Maybe you're right.

i do love the subtlety here, such that mysteries remain in what seems so simple. deceptive!
    i think what he is talking about is this (based on the experiment with the wooden tensa, last video): the tensa works by aligning its frame to the tension in the hammock and suspension, and thus making all forces compressive forces (inline with the plane of each pair or legs) -- obviously, i don't need to tell _you_ this, it's just for my reference . so when there is some length of suspension beyond the "triangle" formed by the hammock and SRL (or is that a bananagle?), said suspension will rest at some angle dictated by it's length and driven by the weight of the tensa itself, that wants to splay appart (unfold). when you load the hammock, the weight of the tensa itself becomes irrelevant, so everything aligns to get the suspension + hammock "average vector" inline with the tensa legs. if you have very short (or no) suspension, basically you have the SRL tied to the tensa directly, so there's no room for the tensa to unfold once you get out of the hammock, as the SRL will prevent that. in the case with the longer suspension, the srl is not inline with the suspension under load, so the tensa can unfold when unloaded by changing the angle between suspension and SRL to effectively bring them inline. this is basically what explains the results of what we see in that video, and i think it does not contradict your experience, it's just slightly different topics i suspect.

indeed, it's quite beautiful how the tensa works (really ellegant engineering), and it's also great what quality of discussion (and mystery, as you say) it tends to bring here.
    (wait, did i just try to quantify quality of mystery? )
    Last edited by nanok; 04-17-2021 at 07:34.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12