Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh

Three days, two nights Grayson Highlands-Mt. Rogers area...April 2018

Greetings all....

I just got back from a great time doing a two-nighter out in the Grayson Highlands area. Weather was mild but very windy at times. Basically did the same route as before, my first time.....and that was going CW from the backpackers parking lot at Massie Gap following the AT south to the Crest Tr. on around to Wise shelter area and back. I stayed the first night along the Crest Tr. where the Pine Mtn Tr tees. A great spot to get out of the wind! And, I found the watering hole that I couldn't find the last time! It was plain as day....and not where it shows on my National Geographic map....

Got underway around 10am Wednesday morning after staying the night in Abingdon. I was hoping to take the AT south to Rhododendron Gap Tr bypassing the worst of the Wilburn Ridge area but I ended up missing the RGT and continued on the AT to Wilburn Ridge Tr.....it actually wasn't all that bad but I wasn't sure if I was following the trail! I was climbing over large bolders....and then on the decent slipped on some ice but managed to catch myself only bruising my left index finger. I was lucky I didn't break break something or fracture my skull!

Finally picked up the Rhododendron Gap Tr to the Crest Tr. Decided to forgo water from this area because I was still fine in that department and also wanted to find the other water source. As stated above, I found it. And in the process of closing my diy water bag (a dry sack with the end of a water bottle inside and cap with hose to seal on outside) I must of had my thumb in the wrong place when closing the bad with the snaps cuz I sliced the end right by the nail. At this time I found out I didn't have band aids.....

Temperature that night got to 37 deg. and felt a little cold along my back.....I didn't have the UQ dialed in quite right so just thru a light pad in and was fine after that. The second night over by the Wise shelter area temps got down to low 40's. Didn't use the pad for warmth because I set the UQ correct this time but I was having an issue with calf ridge.....so used the rolled up pad under my knees....worked great.

Windy the second day as well and set up twice. First time I thought the site I selected was sheltered enough....wrong. So took everything down and setup in a more sheltered area, although it sorta looked like a bunch of hobos had been there!

I had a great time and will throw some video together at some point. Right now, I have some photos from my trip in my album section. I was hoping to put them in order after uploading but that didn't happen. I hope you enjoy them anyway. So check it out....thanks.
    Last edited by wa4chq; 04-14-2018 at 13:54.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

• + New Posts