DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing

Hammock Friendly campsite along I20 in east TX

I'm going to drive out to get my son from UNT so he can come home to GA and work for the summer.

I'll was planning on camping somewhere along I-20 in East TX on the way to get him, and then in the same place on the way back the next night. This will be much cheaper than a hotel/motel stay and more enjoyable. I'll be making this trip the 2nd week of May.

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a hammock friendly campground along I-20 between Shreveport, LA and Dallas, TX.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I was born in Lufkin, Texas and have fond memories of the Angelina National Forest (my father was a ranger in the US Forest Service). There are three other national forests nearby: the Davy Crockett, Sabine, and Sam Houston National Forests. There are big manmade lakes like the Sam Rayburn reservoir with giant bass.

Most of the campsites are 1.5 hours to 2 hours south of I-20, but it's definitely God's country and well worth the visit.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I also see Tyler State Park on the map, but have never been there - looks okay, but you'll be sharing with RVs, etc.

This review says tent campground has lots of trees for hanging hammocks.

https://www.campendium.com/tyler-state-park
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I also see Tyler State Park on the map, but have never been there - looks okay, but you'll be sharing with RVs, etc.

This review says tent campground has lots of trees for hanging hammocks.

https://www.campendium.com/tyler-state-park
    Thanks SilvrSurfr. I was starting to look at Tyler. Pretty direct for my route. I hope as my Son makes TX his home I'll have more opportunities to visit and camp in the area.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Tyler SP is lovely and as you can see knot too far off the intended route

also Ray Roberts SP just 20 minutes north of Denton on Lake Ray Roberts(between Sanger & Pilot Point on Tx 455) has hammock friendly sites

SAFE TRAVELS

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I do Orienteering and Tyler State Park is one of my favorite places to go. It is lovely! TONS of trees, from huge lob-lolly pines to hardwoods. Just south of TSP, at I20, is Bodacious BBQ, decent stuff. TSP is north of I20, but like 10 minutes. While most of Tyler the town, is south.
    At TSP, there are two main camp areas for RV's. Then there are cabin rentals. Then the "water only" type camp sites. I think there are 3 or 4 such bring-your-own-tent, popup, hammock areas. I would call ahead to reserve a spot as it gets full on most weekends. There are great hike/mountain bike trails also. a lake to swim in....fishing.

Since you are heading to UNT (we live just south of there, my daughter and wife all went there and my parents live in Denton), you could also go NORTH from the Tyler area, to I30. Due north of Tyler area, at I30, is Sulphur Springs and there is Cooper Lake state park. I've not hung a hammock there, but you can. They also have cabins to rent, primitive sites, RV sites. It is a much larger state park compared to TSP. However it is less used. From CLSP, you'd just head west on I30 and then can get onto State Highway 380 and it goes straight to Denton (lots of lights however, every little town......).
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    one thing i forgot to mention ...

take US 69 to Greenville then US 380 to denton and you can miss quite a lot of traffic issues

prettier drive too

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    Wanted to chime back in and thank everyone for their input. I ended up staying at Tyler State Park. Worked out really well and I had a couple of great nights of sleeping.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lindrome View Post
    Wanted to chime back in and thank everyone for their input. I ended up staying at Tyler State Park. Worked out really well and I had a couple of great nights of sleeping.
    very good to hear!
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts