Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst

How big of a hole risks hammock failure?

So I just picked up a used hammock for my daughter and it has a small hole. I'd say it got hit with an ember at some point if I was going to guess. Anyway, am I safe to let my daughter use it or is it destined for an epic fabric tear at that spot? Anything I can do to patch it, like tenacious tape? Seems like it would come right off due to the stretch of the fabric. Any insight is helpful. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    From what I've heard I think placement and fabric type is more important than size. If it's on the edge, no big deal. If it's under your butt, you're asking for trouble.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Kind of like asking how far can you drive with an oil leak in your car before it will break. You can only go as far as you can until you can't anymore. next to impossible to guess at what point it might fail until it does.

Tenacious Tape is great stuff and may help for a long time. I would layer it with a piece on each side of the hammock. It has some give and will stretch some with the hammock.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have tenacious taped a tiny hole in my hammock as an emergency. I used a nice big patch, it worked well for a quick fix, I still have the ENO, but I would only use it if I was stranded someplace without any other way to sleep comfortable. I always carry something to hang in just in case I get stranded, my vehicle hammock is one I do not care if someone steals it.

How much does your daughter weigh? Is she going to play in it or give it a good workout or simply sleep in it? Do you have decent medical insurance?

Images
    JustTom is the hole in the load bearing area? Can you post a picture or two?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    I understand the material to be 1.1 ounce ripstop. The whole is about the size of of "square" in the fabric grid, if you know what I mean. So pretty small. It is not right where the most weight would be (dead center where you sit) body maybe a foot from that so potentially some weight will be on it. My daughter is only 12, so under 100 pounds right now. She won't rough house in it, but some lounging time in addition to sleeping would be expected.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Picture, if it helps

ForumRunner_20180413_185513.png

Hey there Just Tom,
    If it was my hammock, l would count on the hammock has now opened up too failure at some point..... From this perspective even though the hammock is raised 16" or so off the ground, the ground won't move when birthed through the hammock not to mention you travel fast on the way too the ground, as this happened to me. l was obviously ok, l found out later, as this took me some time to figure out, but l received slight scuff or nylon burn under both arms....
    l mention this as you had mentioned this hammock was to be for your daughter.....
    To find something positive about this hammock in question? You may look towards recycling this hammock... possibly a top cover for another hammock..... l ended up making two gear hammocks from my failed hammock, that can be also used as a smaller hike hammock or hammock chair.
    All the best.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I would use it and I am 300+. The hole is round and does not have sharp edges, thus it is not as bad as a slit. a tape patch will probably work extremely well. 2" round patch on both sides. Could also possibly sew a dart to release any load through that spot. The fabric will not ultimately fail, unless a shock load is put on it, say from swinging and jumping out of the hammock. (AKA green-bean's demise). Just keep an eye on it to see if it starts to fray or worsens.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As a hiker, I retire any hammock with a hole anywhere. I would hate to end up sleeping on the ground!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast