Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hanging in back yard

I want to set up a spot in the back yard to do test hangs and such. But I don't have many trees. The only real option is a bit wide apart, and with a wide diameter. Actually one of the trees is 2 trucks partly stuck together, so that one is super wide.

I was wondering if anyone tried screwing hooks or something like that into their own trees? It would be a more permanent solution, and this way I wouldn't have to use a bunch webbing. The trees are somewhat wide apart too, so it would have to be somewhat high up too :/

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I don't like killing trees, so I don't advocate nailing/screwing anything into trees. You might look into building a hammock stand, or put two posts in the ground. you will find many threads on the forum on this, as well as vlogs from youtubers and such. The new Tensa4 by Tensaoutdoors.com looks like it may be a solution for you if you can lay down $300, and have time to wait for it. Dutch sold out of the Tato stand, but maybe someone is willing to sell theirs here on the forum. The Ultimate Hang II book has instructions on how to make DIY hammock stands, and this seems like the lowest cost way to get a hammock stand.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Pass on the hooks.. I can hear your trees crying already. Plus, not sure I would want t hang from that.

Here's an idea.. semi-permanent..

There is a fun spot close to me called Adventure Park. The owner built five or six obstacle course throughout the trees, each consisting of obstacles that you climb over, through, around under or on, as well as a bunch of zip lines between trees. To avoid damage to the trees they position 2x3 boards vertically around the trunk of the tree, captured and held in place by cables with turn buckles. The boards distribute the pressure on the tree trunk and the turn buckles allow for adjustments when the too tight, loose or in need of re-positioning. At any given time there are countless people up in the trees and I have yet to hear of an incident that was equipment related.

It's not the prettiest solution, but it's effective for sure and removable. If it were my yard I would hang a planter off the cable(s) as well and grow something attractive around the contraption.. maybe morning glory or something that isn't too intrusive.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by Vargan View Post
    I want to set up a spot in the back yard to do test hangs and such. But I don't have many trees. The only real option is a bit wide apart, and with a wide diameter. Actually one of the trees is 2 trucks partly stuck together, so that one is super wide.

I was wondering if anyone tried screwing hooks or something like that into their own trees? It would be a more permanent solution, and this way I wouldn't have to use a bunch webbing. The trees are somewhat wide apart too, so it would have to be somewhat high up too :/
    It would take a very long time to kill the trees from having a hook screwed in to them. Otherwise there would not be any maple trees left here in Vermont. We drill taps into them every winter.
    If you're really worried about the trees, then yes you can make a hammock stand.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm fairly certain that drilling a hole in a tree will not kill it. Trees are quite resilient. I've seen trees grow over metal objects that are next to them.

Even if the hole is drilled all the way through the tree. The biggest concern to the tree, are insects that can damage it through the hole, not the hole itself.

Besides, my family is seriously considering cutting the tree down all together in the future.

It is more of a question to see if others have done something similar.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    There is no need to drill screws or eye hooks into trees. I planted hammock trees ( pier pilings ) around a pecan tree. Can hang up to 9 hammocks at one time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    a few DIY builds
    Tarp
    minifly (untested)
    Insulation
    CDT and EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    There is no need to drill screws or eye hooks into trees. I planted hammock trees ( pier pilings ) around a pecan tree. Can hang up to 9 hammocks at one time.
    Where do you get the round poles? I was planning to put a 6x6 in to form a triangle with two spruce trees that are too close together for hanging. I like the round pole better.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vargan View Post
    I want to set up a spot in the back yard to do test hangs and such...I was wondering if anyone tried screwing hooks or something like that into their own trees?
    Screwing a large eye bolt into the tree is one of the recommendations of professional arborists and will work well, assuming you have hardware rated for the force you're going to put on it and you go deep enough into the tree. Here's a couple of links where arborists make such recommendations for hammocks:

https://washingtontreeexperts.net/ha...hurting-trees/

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/how-to-hang-hammock

I've got so many trees that I haven't worried about hooks, choosing one of several sites around the yard depending on my mood and prevailing winds and weather. However, I've also got 6x6 posts set in concrete out in my front yard, originally from a swing set I built when my daughter was 3 years old (25 years ago!) and I've recently tried hanging there as well. I don't remember how deep we set those posts but there's no bending or swaying at all when I've hung there.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    a few DIY builds
    Tarp
    minifly (untested)
    Insulation
    CDT and EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Quote Originally Posted by VTScoutLeader View Post
    It would take a very long time to kill the trees from having a hook screwed in to them. Otherwise there would not be any maple trees left here in Vermont. We drill taps into them every winter.
    Agree. Things that affect the circumference (not talking tree straps here) can potentially impact the trees vascular tissue and do more harm than a single localized wound. That said, if I were lucky enough to have oaks in the backyard, I wouldn't poke any sort of hole (or do any pruning) in the spring / summer months because we have oak wilt in much of WI, and it can mean the end of your oak if it finds a way in...especially red/black oaks.

Sure hope that maple sap is running soon! We have the coldest April on record in these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeRing View Post
    Agree. Things that affect the circumference (not talking tree straps here) can potentially impact the trees vascular tissue and do more harm than a single localized wound. That said, if I were lucky enough to have oaks in the backyard, I wouldn't poke any sort of hole (or do any pruning) in the spring / summer months because we have oak wilt in much of WI, and it can mean the end of your oak if it finds a way in...especially red/black oaks.

Sure hope that maple sap is running soon! We have the coldest April on record in these parts.
    The sugaring season is over in most of the state except the higher elevations and maybe northern part of the state. Sure doesn't feel like spring though with a winter weather advisory in effect

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast