WBBB XLC, LBR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies, straps

30* or 40* top quilt

Hello, looking for some advice. I want to get a top quilt to use for May through September in Minnesota. I have a WBBB XLC and a three season Wookie. During early spring or late fall, I have been using a 20* bag for a top quilt. I plan on replacing it with a 0* or 20* top quilt when funds become available. I keep looking for a good deal on a used one here, but have had no luck for the right combination as of yet. I have my first backpacking trip planned for the middle of June on the SHT and time is running out to order. I have eyeing the UGQ Bandit and with the prices now, it looks like a no-brainer. I just am unsure about what is the best temp to get. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'd recommend going for the quilt that will take you to the lowest temps you expect plus a 10 degree buffer if you do not mind the weight difference between the two quilts.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I agree with Trailslug. I used a 0degree bandit for one full season with no complaints except for pack size (compared to a 20 degree bandit). If you can live with the weight and size penalty go for the 0degree.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Better to be a little warm then a little cold and it's good to have the extra warmth in case of unexpected colder weather.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Not sure it's perfect (40 degree rating) http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/sierra-stealth/ but it's a great quilt and it's on sale just now.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I end up using 20º more often than not.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, LBR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies, straps
    Thanks for the advice. I am thinking maybe a 30* and then get a 0* down the road. I suppose I will have to get a winter under quilt also.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I sleep warm and generally use either a 10* or 40* TQ, depending on the weather. In the really warm summer months, I will just use a Costco down throw...it's more than enough.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I think it takes a number of quilt "sets" to allow you to dial in your quilts for a given hike at a given temp. I do agree that you should plan on having quilts rated for at least 10 degrees lower than the anticipated low for a trip. Think of the whole system and consider socks, hats, and base layer in the equation. Another thought is to check the historical average high and lows for the areas you frequent the most. You can plan which quilt sets to get that'll cover the majority of temp ranges you're likely to encounter. Finally, an under quilt protector can not only help with rain splash but it can also keep the wind from robbing heat from an under quilt and help you get the most out of your UQ. For me, weight is a big consideration but at the end of the day, I don't want to be cold! My advise is to lean to the warmer side of things, especially if you can only have one or just a few sets!
    Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I think it takes a number of quilt "sets" to allow you to dial in your quilts for a given hike at a given temp. I do agree that you should plan on having quilts rated for at least 10 degrees lower than the anticipated low for a trip. Think of the whole system and consider socks, hats, and base layer in the equation. Another thought is to check the historical average high and lows for the areas you frequent the most. You can plan which quilt sets to get that'll cover the majority of temp ranges you're likely to encounter. Finally, an under quilt protector can not only help with rain splash but it can also keep the wind from robbing heat from an under quilt and help you get the most out of your UQ. For me, weight is a big consideration but at the end of the day, I don't want to be cold! My advise is to lean to the warmer side of things, especially if you can only have one or just a few sets!
    Gideon
    Im in Minnesota as well and recently had this same decision to make. I have always tripped to BWCA with a 20 degree bag since i was a kid. Like shug i choose a 20 degree quilt as well, i only wanted one quilt and figured this would cover all months up to fall.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast