Images

Oldy but Goody #2, and a short hammock at that! ( Speer 8.5 )

I have been pulling a lot of gear out of my gear closet lately. Or, more pressing: I have really been liking the unique design features of a new UQ: the Sierra Madre Inferno 30F. But though I may be liking the UQ, my main trouble, as always, is finding a gathered hammock that I like as much overall as my bridges. Particularly when it comes to a frequent problem I have with most non-bridges, at least intermittently: the old calf pressure/pain. I have been having on and off success with a couple of 11 ft hammocks. I am almost always able to beat it with my 10 ft Claytor, and it is a very comfy hammock over all, but it's narrow build that is so perfect for a Pea Pod is not near as handy with an UQ and TQ. A minor problem that I can probably work out, but for now I have had some hassles keeping the TQ inside the hammock. But then I remembered another old hammock I have, one I do not remember any calf pain with: The Speer 8.5!

Now, in the day and age of 11 ft hammocks, this is going to seem almost blasphemy, but this hammock was only supposed to be 8.5 ft! ( I think it is actually closer to 9 ft, but still). The formula Ed Speer used for his hammocks was height + 2 ft. But he offered an 8 ft and an 8.5 ft model for bigger guys! Now keep in mind that when I showed up here about 10 years ago, this was one of the most popular hammocks here. It was about a tie between this Speer(actually usually the 8 ft model), the HHs and DIY. But these 8 ft Speers had stellar reps.

So I hiked out into the woods and attached to some trees. No hardware, just some straps with which I used a HH style figure 8, quick and easy! Then I remembered the fully removable Velcro attached mosquito webbing:

With no SRL, I just eyeballed the sag, and hopped in. Not bad! And most important: no calf pressure! As I got in and out, I would occasionally notice some slight pressure requiring some shifting around to find the old sweet spot. Later I tightened the pitch up a bit more and noticed there was no calf pressure in the first spot I landed, no searching for the sweet spot. Back comfort great, side fetal great, side with legs straight was OK but not as good as my Claytor or HH or the 11 footers, or a bridge. If I was under 6 ft, it would probably be fine even for side with legs straight, but heck, I have no problem with fetal, or flat on my back. No pillow seemed to be needed. But I could def find some comfy sleep positions, as I have in the past. There was a slight hint of knee extension, quite expected considering the lack of length of this hammock vs my height, but not enough to actually be uncomfortable. And really not much more noticeable than most of my other gathered ends. If it became noticeable during the night, I would just put a small stuff sack under my knees.

So, next step, hook up the newest UQ. Nothing could be easier. I just attached to some d rings on the webbing, and tightened up to barely touch the hammock:

Then I tightened up the side elastics so that they were snug against the hammock. Foot end:

Head end:

Hopped back in. The quilt seemed to be a perfect fit, toasty from head to heel. Really, all in all, an impressive hammock, one of the hammocks that got all this hammock camping business started. And it always has been, for me, one of the most calf pressure free models, for some reason. Though these are supposedly available from Tree to Tree Trail Gear, but I can not remember when some one has mentioned one of these hammocks. It weighs 18.6 oz with suspension + 4.4 oz for the removable bug net. And of course, with it being a shorter hammock, I could probably get by with a shorter, lighter tarp. It works just as good as it did 10 years ago, and seems to match superbly with the SMR UQ. It is also a bit deeper and wider than my Claytor. While not any more comfy, and slightly less comfy for side/legs straight, it does seem easier to keep the TQ in the hammock. Still, it is at least as comfy for back sleeping as any hammock I have slept in- even forms a nice little spot for my head. And about as good for fetal. Lightweight. Doesn't need much tarp.

I still prefer the bridge overall. I still think a bridge is even easier to insulate than than a gathered end even as great as this UQ is working on this Speer. And in a bridge, I love being able to move my entire body around, especially my feet, without ever having to worry about something moving out of position, a correctly sized UQ will be in about equal contact with every surface of a bridge, you really can not get off of it, it can not slip out of plac. And no chance of developing a calf ridge, knee extension or side torque. But, with this hammock, considering lightweight and remote trips, no spreader bars, no wide tarp or pullouts needed to avoid those bars, easy to pull the tarp closed on one end to block the wind, etc, so there are pros and cons to each. Always hard to decide. But this is still a comfy hammock and works great with this new UQ. An Oldy but a goody, combined with one of the newest UQ designs!

You're right; 8.5 feet does sound like blasphemy, but no sane person can reasonably suggest that Ed Speer didn't know a thing or two about hammocks. If his book is still in print I might have to go buy it just to satisfy my curiosity because I know very little about him. Good post.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    You're right; 8.5 feet does sound like blasphemy, but no sane person can reasonably suggest that Ed Speer didn't know a thing or two about hammocks. If his book is still in print I might have to go buy it just to satisfy my curiosity because I know very little about him. Good post.
    Cheers.
    Hornblower, that is a very good point, and I agree that no sane person would suggest such. His book is a wonderful read on about why a person might choose to go this route(i.e. hammocks) in the first place, full of his personal accounts of his true adventure trips, on which he used a hammock to great advantage. Homemade by him. Would you believe a long Alaska solo kayak trip, which had him camping on small islands a long swim away from the Grizzly "infested"
    shoreline? Or if no island was handy, hanging his hammock UP IN the trees, to be above the reach of Ol' Griz, up above the ground which was covered in Griz tracks? Yes, he was quite the character and obviously pretty expert about hammocks, I think you would enjoy the book.

Here is a picture of him in the very same model hammock I have and re-tested yesterday, except his is probably the original 8 ft model, mine was the 8.5 he came up with later for the taller and heavier guys:

http://www.tttrailgear.com/speer-1-9...layer-hammock/

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    I can't imagine hanging in a 8ft hammock. I guess you never know until you try.

You can still buy the book at Tree to Tree Trail Gear. Here is the link:
    http://www.tttrailgear.com/hammock-c...n-by-ed-speer/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    I can't imagine hanging in a 8ft hammock. I guess you never know until you try.

You can still buy the book at Tree to Tree Trail Gear. Here is the link:
    http://www.tttrailgear.com/hammock-c...n-by-ed-speer/
    OK, that is good to know! I think it is still a useful book over 10 years later! And just fun to read!

I have read that book and it's worth it.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I had a similar experience recently. I made a ginormous hammock, extra wide, and used it for about a year. I tried all sorts of adjustments, maneuvers, and lays. I just couldn't make it comfortable. Well, of course it was comfortable. It's a hammock! But it wasn't as comfortable as my shorter ones. I started over and made a shorter, normal width hammock with the features I wanted, saved ounces of weight and bulk in my pack, and lo and behold, it's more comfortable.

I guess it's important to remember that we all have different bodies, different sleep habits, etc. We can talk about what is usually more comfortable, but in the end, only experimenting for yourself will work.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragabash View Post
    I had a similar experience recently. I made a ginormous hammock, extra wide, and used it for about a year. I tried all sorts of adjustments, maneuvers, and lays. I just couldn't make it comfortable. Well, of course it was comfortable. It's a hammock! But it wasn't as comfortable as my shorter ones. I started over and made a shorter, normal width hammock with the features I wanted, saved ounces of weight and bulk in my pack, and lo and behold, it's more comfortable.

I guess it's important to remember that we all have different bodies, different sleep habits, etc. We can talk about what is usually more comfortable, but in the end, only experimenting for yourself will work.
    Well said!

• + New Posts