Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool The Cowboy Flex Hex Convertible Tarp (Hammock-To-Ground Prototype)

The subject of emergency ground camping persists as a real bugaboo among hammock campers, who have discovered the comfort and joy of hanging and are loathe to give it up under any circumstance.

Continuing my exploration of design concepts geared toward the contingency of "going to ground", I set out to discover what I could do to modify my very basic DIY hammock tarp design and construction for efficient use on the ground to create a versatile, optimized double-duty all-purpose shelter. I took a circuitous route to find out, and I came up with a tree-to-ground convertible hex tarp concept I dubbed the Flex Hex, a more-or-less conventional two-panel 11-foot hex design that can be reconfigured to provide a robust solo ground shelter with wraparound enclosure of more than 288 degrees with roughly equivalent headroom and superior wind-shedding compared to a standard hex pitched on the ground in an A-frame style.

Because geometry.

Here was my result...

Type: Modified cat-cut hex tarp (compatible with optional double internal pole modification) with pentagonal pyramid ground pitch option
    Materials: 1.1 oz Silpoly, 300D pack cloth, 1.5", 7/8", and 1/2" poly grosgrain ribbon, Mara 70 thread, misc. hardware
    Ridge Line Length (hex mode): 132" (11 feet)
    Width: 114"
    Footprint: Hex mode (within ground edge corners pitched for 48" rise) 33 sq ft (5.5' x 6'); Pyramid mode approx. 39 sq ft
    Weight: 13.1 oz (373 grams)

This is a sneak peak at my prototype; following some additional refinements and field testing, expect to see a complete detailed DIY tutorial in the Articles section at DutchwareGear.com in the next few weeks.

https://dutchwaregear.com/articles/

Construction details, field notes, and commentary will be posted here.

Thanks for reading this preview.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-10-2018 at 16:15.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Such a cool concept. Looking forward to the article on dutchwaregear.com.

Looks like another cool project to glean some knowledge.

Though I never *want* to gtg, having the capability to do so is important. I liken it to having emergency food supplies. You don't need it, until you need it.

Thanks for another creative share, Cowboy.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Looking forward to it. GTG is not typically an issue on the right coast, but the more PCT/CDT youtube journeys I watch, the more I realize it could be an issue in other areas.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Exclamation DISCLAIMER

This DIY project report was submitted to this forum for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. Use any methods, ideas, or inspirations contained herein strictly AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any injury or harm that befalls others owing to information presented here, and I accept no responsibility for any errors the post contains.

I do not in any way advocate that others should do anything I have presented here; this thread is strictly DOCUMENTATION OF FACT. Readers beware.

There is a lot of great information on Hammock Forums available from members with much more substantial experience, better ideas, and better methods than mine. SEEK IT OUT.

Thank you for your attention.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Such a cool concept. Looking forward to the article on dutchwaregear.com.

Looks like another cool project to glean some knowledge.

Though I never *want* to gtg, having the capability to do so is important. I liken it to having emergency food supplies. You don't need it, until you need it.

Thanks for another creative share, Cowboy.
    And thank you, sir. Clearly, we are of like minds in a number of areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Looking forward to it. GTG is not typically an issue on the right coast, but the more PCT/CDT youtube journeys I watch, the more I realize it could be an issue in other areas.
    Point well taken, C. Always good to hear from you.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Can't wait to see what comes out of the Cowboy Skunkworks !

I'm excited to see this!

I just bought all my materials to create a tarp for both hammocking and ground camping. The only modification I'm making is to add more webbing loops for creative ground tie outs and I'm not adding any cat cuts, since it's Xenon .9 and I figured the cat cuts are an unnecessary complication.

My anticipated dimensions are about the same, finished length x width of 132" x 112". I'm creating a bathtub floor that'll be 89" x 57" x 4" so that I can orient the tarp either with the 132" lengthwise and me sleeping parallel with the ridgeline or with the 112" lengthwise and me sleeping perpendicular to the ridgeline.

My purpose is to build a modular hammock or ground system rather than an emergency only gtg option.

I purchased additional Hexon to make beak doors to make it a fully enclosed shelter even in A-frame mode.

I'm interested to see how you've modified it to make a pyramidal ground pitch possible! This will be my first foray into tarp shelters and I don't have an intuitive sense for the different pitches yet so I've only made plans with an A-frame pitch in mind.

Any advice on modding it for other pitches is appreciated I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Edited to correctly list fabric as Xenon .9, not Hexon.
    Last edited by Hamma; 04-10-2018 at 14:29.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    Can't wait to see what comes out of the Cowboy Skunkworks !
    LOL thanks, geneaut!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
    I'm excited to see this! I just bought all my materials to create a tarp for both hammocking and ground camping. The only modification I'm making is to add more webbing loops for creative ground tie outs and I'm not adding any cat cuts, since it's Hexon and I figured the cat cuts are an unnecessary complication.
    Cool. I think you'll agree that Dutch's waterproof fabrics are very easy to sew and tend to come in at their claimed weight with a high degree of fidelity. My one admonishment to your proposed plan is on your consideration of cat-cuts. While you are right that on tarps constructed with waterproof fabrics made with low-stretch fibers like polyester the cat-cuts certainly aren't necessary, please note that if you have a design where much of the tarp panel perimeter is cut on the bias (i.e, oblique to the direction of the fabric weave), the cat-cuts can still help with the any stretch that moves from the weave itself. Hex tarps, especially those cut aggressively are prime candidates for such shape refinements.

Well-constructed extra tie-outs are an easy add "bushcrafty" options for ground pitches, as I found out when developing my K.I.S.S. rectangular asym tarps...

My anticipated dimensions are about the same, finished length x width of 132" x 112". I'm creating a bathtub floor that'll be 89" x 57" x 4" so that I can orient the tarp either with the 132" lengthwise and me sleeping parallel with the ridgeline or with the 112" lengthwise and me sleeping perpendicular to the ridgeline.

My purpose is to build a modular hammock or ground system rather than an emergency only gtg option.

I purchased additional Hexon to make beak doors to make it a fully enclosed shelter even in A-frame mode.
    I hear you. I have another convertible tree-to-ground prototype tarp design (a prototarp?!) I've been working on for a month or two that stresses "glamping" on the ground rather than emergency camping, and it offers rather refined and adaptable accommodations as a tent when there are no trees around for the hammock, while still being an uncompromising hammock tarp and light enough as a modular shelter system to carry for (relatively) lightweight backpacking trips. My system converts from asym to transverse A-frame -- a great shape to explore for ground pitches if your tarp is sufficiently sized -- and it also includes add-on beak-style doors an accessory mesh tent with a 50" x 90" bathtub floor. This design, the Cowboy Crossdraw, will also be getting a thorough write-up after its next evolution...

I'm interested to see how you've modified it to make a pyramidal ground pitch possible! This will be my first foray into tarp shelters and I don't have an intuitive sense for the different pitches yet so I've only made plans with an A-frame pitch in mind.

Any advice on modding it for other pitches is appreciated I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
    Sticking with regular polygonal shapes compromises the performance of the tarp design in some cases, but it can be a very reasonable trade-off that opens up options for convertible geometry and can simplify construction during the build. More on this later...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I look forward to learning more! It resembles a Trailstar, by MLD, when set up on the ground.

Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    I look forward to learning more! It resembles a Trailstar, by MLD, when set up on the ground.

Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks, Otter. You've hit the nail on the head; the Flex Hex basically does convert to a downsized Trailstar configuration when pitched on the ground. (The Trailstar is also a pentagonal pyramid design.) I actually built a full-sized simplified Trailstar clone prototype out of Dutch's Xenon Wide waterproof fabric in order to understand better the versatility of this tarp-tent shape. That project too will receive a complete DIY write-up at DWG in the Articles section.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast