Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thigh gap

Hammock
    Hennessy hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy tarp

Thigh gap

I built a gathered end hammock, but when i sleep, i found gap between Thigh and hammock fabric about 1.5 inch. It’s OK? It’s same calf ridge?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yes as this puts more pressure on your calves. Hanging the foot end of the hammock about 6" or more and getting on more of an angle in the hammock helps with this but this is one of the many reasons my favorite hammock is my Warbonnet Ridgerunner as there is not calf ridge and the flat lay doesn't take staying on a diagonal which many gathered end hammocks require for a flat lay.

Hammock
    Hennessy hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Yes as this puts more pressure on your calves. Hanging the foot end of the hammock about 6" or more and getting on more of an angle in the hammock helps with this but this is one of the many reasons my favorite hammock is my Warbonnet Ridgerunner as there is not calf ridge and the flat lay doesn't take staying on a diagonal which many gathered end hammocks require for a flat lay.
    Thank you!
    But calves already put on fabric is still cause of pain? So move leg down can help? (in images)

Images
    No.
    Hang foot end higher. This puts your body closer to the head end, so your legs and feet are in a wider party of the hammock.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Hennessy hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    No.
    Hang foot end higher. This puts your body closer to the head end, so your legs and feet are in a wider party of the hammock.

--
    Gadget
    OK! I will test again. Thank you.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Also what you might try, a lot of people like putting a small pillow or a folded up jacket or the like under their thighs just behind the knees. I keep my foot end well over a foot higher than my head end, I've also found not having your Ridgeline too tight help. Raising the foot end also helps lower your back, so it puts less pressure on your heels. Your butt will always be the low spot, so you don't have to worry about blood pooling in your head causing headaches.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Images
    All of that can also make for some challenge with Under quilt fit.

How much are you rotating into a diagonal lay?
    Your drawing looks more like you are close to in line with the ends of the hammock.

I, too, have ended up liking the bridge hammock.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe this will offer insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    If we are thinking about the same condition, it causes what I call knee hyper-extension (KH). This is completely different than calf ridge (CR). It causes unacceptable discomfort in the knee(s) basically carrying the weight of your legs and is usually more pronounced on the outside knee. If employing some of the strategies previously mentioned above do not do the trick for you, then you might consider what worked for me.

Now I am going to give my 2 cents ramble with the caveat that everyone is entitled to HYOY. Equally important is everybody is built different and has their own sleeping nuances. For me, personally, an uncomfortable hammock is unacceptable. Stuffing a bunch of crap under various body parts in order to make a hammock comfortable is equally unacceptable. I would probably have to be more tolerant if the hammock was a China ebay hammock or a Wally World camping special hammock, but a top dollar hammock from a reputable cottage vendor must be comfortable or I will happily pass it along to someone who can more fully enjoy it. That hasn't not meant that every hammock I've owned has fit like a glove right from the vendor. In fact, I have had to tweak every hammock I've owned, except two, a WBRR and a DH Raven. Since I have been hanging full time, a comfortable hammock is essential and not optional.

However, the WBRR was not near as comfortable as a tweaked Hammocktent hammock (alpha, beta, gamma, and gamma UL (I like hammocktent hammocks)), so it was passed along for someone else to enjoy. I never tweaked the DH Raven probably because I it was a SL and I always used a pad in it. An inflatable insulated pad, preferably an Exped, goes a long ways toward resolving any CR or KH. I also had an Exped Ergo for a while and I was able to tweak the suspension to make it very comfortable. But the Ergo simply took too much diagonal fidgeting compared to a Hammocktent ninety degree and I passed it along. I have had to tweak the suspension on my Hammocktent hammocks, but if you can tie a figure eight it is simple and permanent unless you want to retie and tweak it some more.

But since you are specifically referring to GEs I will pass along what worked for me with a WBBB XLC and a DH Sparrow. I added a six inch continuous loop to the structural ridge line (SRL). I took a carabiner and wrapped the SRL around the biner using different numbers of wraps, and commensurately adjusting the suspension tree straps tautness accordingly, until I found the sweet spot where the KH and/or the CR were no longer a problem. At first I thought I would replace the continuous loop with a SRL of the appropriate length that suited me. But I decided to keep the SRL/biner system so that I can return to the OEM spec if I resell the hammock, and so that I can do further tweaking and testing as time goes on.

The potential downside is if it takes too much additional SRL the topcover/net may no longer fit. On the WBBB XLC there was enough extra elasticity in the system to easily accommodate the additional SRL. For the DH Sparrow there was not. So that meant no net or top cover on the DH Sparrow until I make or order a custom replacements. However, I have been sleeping in the DH Sparrow for the past three weeks and if the decision is a comfortable hammock or a top cover/net, comfort wins hands down every time...for me.

I have seen posts where other folks have shortened the OEM SRL and have had success. Using a similar biner system will help you figure that out too, before you take a knife to the SRL

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast