Images

Incubator 20 vs Phoenix 20?

I'm fairly new to using underquilts and wondered what is the practical difference between a full length and 3/4 length underquilt? I'm thinking of buying either an Hammock Gear Incubator 20 or Phoenix 20.

Thanks so much for feedback and information.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Very subjective and individual. Depends on whether you typically sleep warmer or colder than other people, and whether you've got the adjustments really 'nailed'.

I am totally ok with a 3/4-length 20deg UQ down to 20 deg, along with my foam sit pad under lower legs and feet. Any colder than that I use a 0deg Incubator.

You might not know for sure until you try both. The Incubator is the safer route.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Very subjective and individual. Depends on whether you typically sleep warmer or colder than other people, and whether you've got the adjustments really 'nailed'.

I am totally ok with a 3/4-length 20deg UQ down to 20 deg, along with my foam sit pad under lower legs and feet. Any colder than that I use a 0deg Incubator.

You might not know for sure until you try both. The Incubator is the safer route.
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I really like a 3/4 if the temps will be much above freezing. I like the weight savings and packability as I'm mainly hike in and out of camping spots. I don't hesitate to go with my full length when the temps drop down below 40. Decide what your main temps will be and go from there. HG has great gear and I think you'll be happy with either. As stated, if you sleep a little cold at night, go with the incubator. If you sleep warm, the Phoenix may be right for you.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I personally do not like 3/4 length quilts. Your buying a down quilt for warmth and the added few ounces is offset by having to carry a supplemental insulation to go under your feet. Keeping that added insulation under your feet in a gathered end hammock is a nightmare or at least was for me. Go for full length and save the weight in other areas is my opinion. Waking up with cold feet after a day to two on the trail isn't much fun.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I personally do not like 3/4 length quilts. Your buying a down quilt for warmth and the added few ounces is offset by having to carry a supplemental insulation to go under your feet. Keeping that added insulation under your feet in a gathered end hammock is a nightmare or at least was for me. Go for full length and save the weight in other areas is my opinion. Waking up with cold feet after a day to two on the trail isn't much fun.
    I agree with TrailSlug. I ended up selling my Phoenix and got an Incubator instead. To offset the weight penalty I bought the goose down version instead of the Econ Incubator.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The space savings on a 3/4 sure would be nice. I just couldn't get used to it.

I was packing my 50L pack last week and didn't understand why everything seemed tighter and hard to pack. I recently switched from a short incubator to a standard. That's only 5", but maybe it made the difference. So a phoenix that is 26" shorter would free up a lot of room. I don't always need it, but with trips requiring more food or clothing it doesn't hurt.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I love my 3/4 length quilts, and have had no issues staying warm with them. I am a hot sleeper though; and rarely do I even need a foot pad. For me, the benefit of the 3/4 UQ isn't so much weight savings as it is volume savings in my pack. To each his/her own, and HYOH.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use 3/4 quilts down to 30* F. Too many nights my feet were cold at 20* F. Obviously, I'm a fan of the 10* buffer rule - if overnight lows are going to be 30* F, I'll take the 3/4 20* quilts. If temps are going to be 20* F, I'll take the 0* Incubator.

I love going to bed knowing that I won't be cold at all.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts