Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I second much of this. I use a fronkey net with a ridge line. I leave my UQ attached all the time (different colored amsteel loops help track head and foot ends). I use straps with beetle buckles. The buckles always stay attached. Loop straps around tree. Hook amateel loops to buckles. Adjust width.

On my tarp I use soft shackle Prussic loops for ridgeline and tie outs, and Dutch hooks on the ridge. All told I'm setup and lounging in under 10 minutes. Never really timed it though. It doesn't take me longer then most people setting up a tent, and fiddle factor is pretty minimal. Doubly so, since there's no air mattress to inflate.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I have a Dream hammock darien and an 11 ft hex tarp and have the same problem you have. Not that it is too difficult to set up, but I want to speed up the process by which the system is up. It really depends on the suspension system that you are using (I have a whoopie sling) I have attached my tarp via 2 prusik knots to my whoopie sling. I am also in the process of securing a pair of Dutchware titanium clips to speed up the process of attaching the tree huggers and suspension, some hookworms to speed up the tent stake deployment. It will also make keeping everything much easier. Tarp and hammock goes together in the same double ended stuff sack.
    Are you saying your tarp is attached to your hammock suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I second (or third or forth) the idea of a ridge line for your hammock. Find your idea sag, then make a ridge line that goes from end to end of the hammock (read more about hammock ridge lines if you don't know what I'm referring to). There are three quick benefits. 1) you don't have to be so critical in finding absolute "correct" trees and suspension height. 2) you have a place to hang stuff, like flashlight or "organizer" to hold other convenient stuff. 2) you can use it to support your bug net that can be kept on the hammock.

For fast hammock suspension, I use a daisy chain and I'd hold it around the tree with a light weight carabiner - but these days I use Dutch's clips - for fun. If you use a biner, make sure there is no bending pressure on the side of gate - they are not designed for that. I also use a light weight biner to connect the hammock to the daisy chain. This summer I'll play with the beetles and mantis hooks.

But that is for fun, NOT FOR SPEED. For speed, the larger devices are easier to handle in all kind of weather, especially rain and cold. You can hardly get faster than clipping a climbing sized carabiner in a daisy chain loop. The daisy chain will give you a step adjustment, not a continuous adjustment like webbing or whoopie sling. But I've found it gets me close enough.

I'm a geezer who did the PCT (back in '74) with a pack like Cheryl Stayed used in the movie Wild - but with more reasonable gear. So a few extra ounces here and there are nothing to me. Remember that the ultralight trend was started by people who wanted to walk tens of miles a day. I - and more importantly, those I hike with - are not concerned with max distance. Lakes are four to five miles from the trail head. And we are strong. So we don't worry about too much weight - we carry the wine bottles and chocolate wrappers out, etc..

Light usually means smaller. And smaller is harder to handle - at least in my hands.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-15-2018 at 16:31.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Xenon hex tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by j-Fish View Post
    Are you saying your tarp is attached to your hammock suspension?
    Yes, attached to the loop end of the whoopie sling with prusik knots, so I can adjust the tension. When I put up the suspension, the tarp goes on at the same time, really speeds up the setting up and tearing down of the hammock. It is important to me because I frequently has to set up my hammock under low light condition in dense vegetation, saves me time fiddling around with the tarp. The disadvantages are that the tarp is set lower on the hammock (bad if you are claustrophobic) but it makes it more rain proof and more stealthy (good for me!) It works for me, but I am interested if there are some other perceived disadvantage of the system.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Speeding things up...?

Speeding set up—-from an old slow geezer

Random order—-not order of importance

To quote a past Hammock Forums wise poster
    Practice practice practice
    Eliminate as many steps as you reasonably can
    If using a bugnet, use bugnet that’s already zipped to hammock.
    Or keep your bugnet installed and bagged with hammock in same stuff sack.
    Use some sort of all in one suspension, and maybe a suspension that has tarp and hammock both attached to the trees with a single point of contact. This suspension can stay attached to tarp or hammock or both when in your pack. If suspension is wet when breaking camp keep it attached and use a double ended stuff sack and place suspension in separate sacks still attached to hammock or tarp sack. Kevlar and dyneema straps are compact enough to be stuffed into a pair of used socks on each end of hammock or tarp stuff sack

Tarp guy lines stay attached to tarp

Use Dutch clips or carabiners to attach strap to tree; this way all your gear can stay stuck together—-no searching through pack with darkness and rainfall closing in.

Pre-dial in underquilt or use Wookiee or use an underquilt that’s already installed on hammock, either permanently or just installed.

Some use only 4 stakes and record setters might use two or less stakes

Practice setting up in dark and in dark while raining. Time each set up an practice practice practice. Race a good friend—-no bets over a trillion.

I don’t use all of above ideas and in fact I’m slow as the average hammocker
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-16-2018 at 12:27.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.0
    Suspension
    UCR-ish w/ Beetles
    My process is fairly simple: I keep the bug net and adjustable slings attached to the hammock, and I use Dutchware Beetle Buckles to attach to the tree straps. The tarp usually goes up first in case of weather, so I use Zing-it with Dutch hooks around the trees (one for each side) and Tarp Fleaz at the ridgeline of the tarp to hang it. Everything's adjustable for trees spaced 10' to 30' apart, and it goes up in about 10 minutes if I'm not in a hurry. I use a diamond or asymmetric tarp, so there's only two stakes to drive.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12